The Student Room Group

URGENT MEDICAL SCHOOL HELP (GCSEs)

Hi, I got my results today and honestly speaking I'm quite disappointed as I was predicted way higher I got,
1) English lit 9
2) English lang 7
3) Maths 7
4) Biology 7
5) Chemistry 6
6) History 7
7) French 8
8) Physics 6
9) Business Studies 6
10) R.S. 6

I am really worried if these are gonna let me down to apply for medicine, do you guys think I can still get in?

I am probably gonna look to go into Aston or something or shall I just not apply at all?
All medical schools are different so they will treat GCSEs different. For medicine there will always be students with all 8 and 9s but your results are by no means inadequate. Some unis will use them more in there shortlisting for interview and some won't (I believe Exeter doesn't take into account GCSEs and I'm sure there are others). Ultimately, research the courses and how they chose applicants. If you go on open days then ask the admissions tutors there. Work hard for your predicted grades and admissions tests as they are much more important.
Reply 2
Original post by alexandre365
All medical schools are different so they will treat GCSEs different. For medicine there will always be students with all 8 and 9s but your results are by no means inadequate. Some unis will use them more in there shortlisting for interview and some won't (I believe Exeter doesn't take into account GCSEs and I'm sure there are others). Ultimately, research the courses and how they chose applicants. If you go on open days then ask the admissions tutors there. Work hard for your predicted grades and admissions tests as they are much more important.

Thank you do you reckon if I get band 1 in the UCAT and A*s in my a levels I have a good chance? or shall I retake my gcses?
Don't retake, move on to focussing on high grades at A level and plan where you apply strategically (as suggested above).
Agreed. Retaking GCSEs will benefit you less than working on UCAT and A levels. If your getting A*s and band 1 you will be in a very favourable position.

Quick Reply

Latest