The Student Room Group

Help a level biology edexcel sulter nuffield

Hi, im going to start year 13 and im still struggling with a level biology. Can anyone who got an A or A star for this board please give me some tips and advice on getting good.
Reply 1
Original post by billiefan
Hi, im going to start year 13 and im still struggling with a level biology. Can anyone who got an A or A star for this board please give me some tips and advice on getting good.

Hello, I got an A with this exam board (would have been an A* in most years, including 2019, but the boundaries for this exam board was very weird this year haha)! I found making flashcards for each topic very helpful, as some questions require very specific information to score maximum marks. Learning how to answer certain types of questions by doing practice papers and reading through mark schemes was also very helpful to me, especially as once you've finished year 12, you've been taught all the info to theoretically be able to try the AS papers. If you're struggling currently, trying some AS papers could help you to identify exactly which areas are confusing you so you can ask your teachers for help with those specific topics or watch YouTube videos on that topic. I found YouTube videos by SnapRevise quite helpful, as well as Freesciencelessons. Physics and Maths Tutor have a lot of papers, so do Study Mind and I'm sure you can find a lot more websites that I can't currently remember the names of. If you have a revision guide, they have a lot of good questions in them, and making mind maps for each individual topic can be really helpful too. You've got this!!
Reply 2
Original post by aarynmb
Hello, I got an A with this exam board (would have been an A* in most years, including 2019, but the boundaries for this exam board was very weird this year haha)! I found making flashcards for each topic very helpful, as some questions require very specific information to score maximum marks. Learning how to answer certain types of questions by doing practice papers and reading through mark schemes was also very helpful to me, especially as once you've finished year 12, you've been taught all the info to theoretically be able to try the AS papers. If you're struggling currently, trying some AS papers could help you to identify exactly which areas are confusing you so you can ask your teachers for help with those specific topics or watch YouTube videos on that topic. I found YouTube videos by SnapRevise quite helpful, as well as Freesciencelessons. Physics and Maths Tutor have a lot of papers, so do Study Mind and I'm sure you can find a lot more websites that I can't currently remember the names of. If you have a revision guide, they have a lot of good questions in them, and making mind maps for each individual topic can be really helpful too. You've got this!!

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try and follow a similar kind off method and hopefully ill be able to achieve an A too :smile:
Well done btw! an A is an amazing score especially since the grade boundaries became back to pre pandemic levels.
Btw do u have a particular method in how u made ure revision cards. Like was it from the textbook or a particular website. Also do u think the cgp book has enough information to make revision cards from, or should i use save my exams.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3

Yeah, I am doing the same exam board and i have got an A for predicted. Tbh, there is so much content in biology so i was struggling as well and the textbook SNAB is also not the best as well(for me).
My tips are:
1. Learn what you only need to know for this exam board if you feel there is already so much content and you can't keep up(not the best advice but yh)
2. Making flashcards: I wish i knew this at the start of y12 because it really helped when i did it at the end for my mocks. There are loads of stuffs to remember so making flashcards would help you check out on stuffs you keep on forgetting. Also, don't make flashcards on obvious stuffs or contents you are really confident with as you don't want to get 100s of flashcards and you won't even be able to go through all and focus on your weak points.
3. I hope you have the specifications' checklist which is very useful as you can tick off from contents you need to know.
4. Snap Revise youtube videos are also useful as i would go to that instead of going through my textbook.
5. Do more of topic tests especially ones you are not really confident with. I use the ones on the study mind website. i like that website because it is user friendly compared to pmt.

I think that is all i do for biology. Hopefully, it helps you as well. Oh....and lastly, while answering questions for this exam board I think you need to be hitting some key words so you don't lose marks anyhow which would also save you so much time as you don't waffle but rather get marks for every statement!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Jack39
Yeah, I am doing the same exam board and i have got an A for predicted. Tbh, there is so much content in biology so i was struggling as well and the textbook SNAB is also not the best as well(for me).
My tips are:
1. Learn what you only need to know for this exam board if you feel there is already so much content and you can't keep up(not the best advice but yh)
2. Making flashcards: I wish i knew this at the start of y12 because it really helped when i did it at the end for my mocks. There are loads of stuffs to remember so making flashcards would help you check out on stuffs you keep on forgetting. Also, don't make flashcards on obvious stuffs or contents you are really confident with as you don't want to get 100s of flashcards and you won't even be able to go through all and focus on your weak points.
3. I hope you have the specifications' checklist which is very useful as you can tick off from contents you need to know.
4. Snap Revise youtube videos are also useful as i would go to that instead of going through my textbook.
5. Do more of topic tests especially ones you are not really confident with. I use the ones on the study mind website. i like that website because it is user friendly compared to pmt.

I think that is all i do for biology. Hopefully, it helps you as well. Oh....and lastly, while answering questions for this exam board I think you need to be hitting some key words so you don't lose marks anyhow which would also save you so much time as you don't waffle but rather get marks for every statement!!!

Thank you so much for the advice!
I wish i made revision cards earlier but i guess starting now is better than later. I think i definitely do need to do more exam style questions cause in my mocks i knew all the content but because the mark schemes are so specific i wasn’t gaining much marks.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for the advice!
I wish i made revision cards earlier but i guess starting now is better than later. I think i definitely do need to do more exam style questions cause in my mocks i knew all the content but because the mark schemes are so specific i wasn’t gaining much marks.

yh...that is my biggest problem as well bc i could write a whole paragraph for just 1mark out of like 5marks, The markscheme will also be having some short sentences to get the 5 marks meaning i was only able to get just one sentence right...so bad.
I was able to improve this by making flash cards for such questions and try to write in bullet points so i don't waffle. Also, when writing in bullet points, i need to ask myself "does it really need to be written for this question??" if no then i will write that when I am short of points or have more time left
Reply 6

Hii I got an A :smile: please pm me for my resources i've made everything!!

Quick Reply

Latest