The Student Room Group

Trying to do A-Levels abroad.

I'm 17, I completed my GCSE's and now I wish to do A-levels. I did my GCSE's a year late due to a different circumstance. My issue is that I want to do A-Levels, but both of my parents want to go back to their country (Iraq). I can't stay in the UK alone, and I also can't go to a school there for IA-Levels (the city I live in doesn't have such schools). So, now I'm stuck on what to do. I don't know if online school is worth the money, and I don't know if there are sixth form colleges that accept students who study abroad yet still attend when they can. Any help?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ayali
I'm 17, I completed my GCSE's and now I wish to do A-levels. I did my GCSE's a year late due to a different circumstance. My issue is that I want to do A-Levels, but both of my parents want to go back to their country. I can't stay in the UK alone, and I also can't go to a school there for IA-Levels (the city I live in doesn't have such schools). So, now I'm stuck on what to do. I don't know if online school is worth the money, and I don't know if there are sixth form colleges that accept students who study abroad yet still attend when they can. Any help?

In there a reason you specifically want to do A levels / International A levels? Could you not take whatever the usual qualification is in the country you are moving to, and apply to university (if that's you're ultimate goal) using those qualifications instead?
Original post by ayali
I'm 17, I completed my GCSE's and now I wish to do A-levels. I did my GCSE's a year late due to a different circumstance. My issue is that I want to do A-Levels, but both of my parents want to go back to their country. I can't stay in the UK alone, and I also can't go to a school there for IA-Levels (the city I live in doesn't have such schools). So, now I'm stuck on what to do. I don't know if online school is worth the money, and I don't know if there are sixth form colleges that accept students who study abroad yet still attend when they can. Any help?

A levels are a level 3 qualification to prepare you for your next steps. Your parent’s country also has their own level 3 qualifications.
Which country are they going to?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
In there a reason you specifically want to do A levels / International A levels? Could you not take whatever the usual qualification is in the country you are moving to, and apply to university (if that's you're ultimate goal) using those qualifications instead?

To be honest, it's only because I got used to the system in the UK that I don't know how it could work elsewhere. English is my first language, and if I go back to Iraq it would be really hard to get used to the language. I also don't want to go to university in Iraq, or at least I don't think I want to right now. I like the idea of studying abroad, but I fear for my future and don't know what to decide.
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
A levels are a level 3 qualification to prepare you for your next steps. Your parent’s country also has their own level 3 qualifications.
Which country are they going to?

They want to go to Iraq. I can speak Arabic, just not fluently enough. I can only conversate with my parents in broken Arabic whilst just throwing in English. To go to a school there would be difficult especially with an entirely new curriculum. I need to check the qualifications, however.
Original post by ayali
To be honest, it's only because I got used to the system in the UK that I don't know how it could work elsewhere. English is my first language, and if I go back to Iraq it would be really hard to get used to the language. I also don't want to go to university in Iraq, or at least I don't think I want to right now. I like the idea of studying abroad, but I fear for my future and don't know what to decide.

It sounds like you have quite a lot of things to consider, especially it it might be hard to learn in Iraq due to language issues.

Having had a very quick look around it seems like your best option as an alternative to A levels might be the International Baccalaureate (IB). You said above that you "can't go to a school there for IA-Levels (the city I live in doesn't have such schools)." Are there any that offer IB?

You can absolutely gain entry to UK universities with Iraq's Sixth Form Baccalauréat (Adadiyah), but it might be harder. For example, Manchester Uni require students who provide that as their entry qualification to take a University-recognised foundation programme before joining an undergraduate course. Students with A levels or IB can join the undergraduate degree directly. (source)

Have you given the impact on funding any thought? If you stayed in the UK would you be eligible for "home fees" status and tuition fee / maintenance loans?

Quick Reply

Latest