The Student Room Group

GCSE massive rant- how do I make myself feel extremely better

So basically I feel like i have I did so bad in gcses eventhough I didn't really🙁. I got 3 5s in eng lit, biology and maths, I got 2 6s in history and physics, 2 7s in eng lang and chemistry and 3 8s in Spanish, polish and re. I want to study bio,chem and psychology in sixth form and hopefully do medicine. But I have checked most unis want 7s and at least a 6 in bio and maths but I got 5s in them both. I still haven't checked with my chosen sixth form if am still doing the courses I want to do. I haven't told my parents yet. I feel horrible. I am rethinking my whole life if I even want to do medicine but I dont really have any interests. I checked the grade boundaries and in bio and 1 mark off a 6 and in maths four marks off a 6. In physics am four marks off a 7. I contemplating getting bio and maths reviewed but I dont want my grade to go down or stay the same and potentially waste money. Is anyone else feeling the same? Everyone says GCSE dont matter and etc but most unis for medicine check gcses grades. I feel like a failure and disappointment. I also dont want my little sister to find out, she probably bully me and compare us as she's going into yr 10 next year but she will probably find out😣. My parents are kinda strict and expect a lot from me.
Reply 1
It's ok!!! Chill out and take a breather. Just look at your options right now and make a informed decision. Your grades are really solid too. Also get your maths rechecked you could likely gain that one extra mark.

All the best :smile:
Original post by Clivierx
It's ok!!! Chill out and take a breather. Just look at your options right now and make a informed decision. Your grades are really solid too. Also get your maths rechecked you could likely gain that one extra mark.

All the best :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I don't really know what to do next and I need some motivating advice but I'll try and get my maths looked. I feel a bit relieved and can can sleep a bit better ☺️
Reply 3
Original post by Giftedandlifted
Thank you so much!!! I don't really know what to do next and I need some motivating advice but I'll try and get my maths looked. I feel a bit relieved and can can sleep a bit better ☺️

Aww that's amazing! TRUST me you'll be fine there's is no point in stressing pointlessly. Take a rest because you deserve it!
Your GCSE's have no major impact on your life
Original post by Clivierx
Aww that's amazing! TRUST me you'll be fine there's is no point in stressing pointlessly. Take a rest because you deserve it!

Again, thank you so much!
Original post by Entrepreneur.
Your GCSE's have no major impact on your life

At this moment it does feel like it, but thank you for the reassurance !
At this moment it does feel like it, but thank you for the reassurance !

I sat mine 2 years ago and to this day no one has brought them up not even employers as long as you get pass 5 GCSES and get at least 5 in english and maths no one cares about them
Reply 8
So basically I feel like i have I did so bad in gcses eventhough I didn't really🙁. I got 3 5s in eng lit, biology and maths, I got 2 6s in history and physics, 2 7s in eng lang and chemistry and 3 8s in Spanish, polish and re. I want to study bio,chem and psychology in sixth form and hopefully do medicine. But I have checked most unis want 7s and at least a 6 in bio and maths but I got 5s in them both. I still haven't checked with my chosen sixth form if am still doing the courses I want to do. I haven't told my parents yet. I feel horrible. I am rethinking my whole life if I even want to do medicine but I dont really have any interests. I checked the grade boundaries and in bio and 1 mark off a 6 and in maths four marks off a 6. In physics am four marks off a 7. I contemplating getting bio and maths reviewed but I dont want my grade to go down or stay the same and potentially waste money. Is anyone else feeling the same? Everyone says GCSE dont matter and etc but most unis for medicine check gcses grades. I feel like a failure and disappointment. I also dont want my little sister to find out, she probably bully me and compare us as she's going into yr 10 next year but she will probably find out😣. My parents are kinda strict and expect a lot from me.

I totally get where you're coming from, and I can imagine how tough it must be right now. Sometimes, even when we've done pretty well, it's easy to feel like we fell short of our own expectations. But hey, let's break this down:

First off, those grades you got are not bad at all! You've got 3 8s, a bunch of 7s, and even those 5s aren't the end of the world. It's natural to worry, especially when your future plans are on the line, like wanting to study bio, chem, and psychology. Medicine is a big goal, and I can see why you're feeling the pressure.

But guess what? Life isn't just about grades. It's about your passion, determination, and the journey you're on. Don't let a couple of numbers overshadow all the hard work you've put in. If a couple of marks are the only things standing between you and the courses you want, it might be worth considering a review. It's a tough call, but sometimes it's worth taking a shot.

And about those universities yeah, some have those grade requirements, but not all of them. There are other paths to reach your goal, and trust me, doors can open in unexpected places. If you're worried about what your parents might say, remember they care about you. It's tough, but talking to them could be a relief. And your sister? Well, she's got her own journey ahead, and while she might tease you, deep down she probably looks up to you more than you think.

Feeling uncertain about your interests? That's alright. You're not alone in that boat. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to figure out what truly excites you. And who knows, you might stumble upon something amazing that you never even considered before.

Lastly, remember to be kind to yourself. Setbacks happen, and they're not a reflection of who you are as a person. You've got resilience in you, and this chapter is just a tiny part of your story. Reach out to those around you friends, teachers, family they're there to support you. You're capable of much more than you think, and this tough moment is just a stepping stone to your incredible journey ahead.
Original post by zkan
I totally get where you're coming from, and I can imagine how tough it must be right now. Sometimes, even when we've done pretty well, it's easy to feel like we fell short of our own expectations. But hey, let's break this down:

First off, those grades you got are not bad at all! You've got 3 8s, a bunch of 7s, and even those 5s aren't the end of the world. It's natural to worry, especially when your future plans are on the line, like wanting to study bio, chem, and psychology. Medicine is a big goal, and I can see why you're feeling the pressure.

But guess what? Life isn't just about grades. It's about your passion, determination, and the journey you're on. Don't let a couple of numbers overshadow all the hard work you've put in. If a couple of marks are the only things standing between you and the courses you want, it might be worth considering a review. It's a tough call, but sometimes it's worth taking a shot.

And about those universities yeah, some have those grade requirements, but not all of them. There are other paths to reach your goal, and trust me, doors can open in unexpected places. If you're worried about what your parents might say, remember they care about you. It's tough, but talking to them could be a relief. And your sister? Well, she's got her own journey ahead, and while she might tease you, deep down she probably looks up to you more than you think.

Feeling uncertain about your interests? That's alright. You're not alone in that boat. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to figure out what truly excites you. And who knows, you might stumble upon something amazing that you never even considered before.

Lastly, remember to be kind to yourself. Setbacks happen, and they're not a reflection of who you are as a person. You've got resilience in you, and this chapter is just a tiny part of your story. Reach out to those around you friends, teachers, family they're there to support you. You're capable of much more than you think, and this tough moment is just a stepping stone to your incredible journey ahead.

Thank you so much for the in depth feedback!! This was really insightful, truly appreciated !
Original post by Entrepreneur.
I sat mine 2 years ago and to this day no one has brought them up not even employers as long as you get pass 5 GCSES and get at least 5 in english and maths no one cares about them

Thank you!
Reply 11
Thank you so much for the in depth feedback!! This was really insightful, truly appreciated !

if you need any specific advice for your a levels or applying to med, pm me as im due to start med school in 3 weeks
Original post by zkan
if you need any specific advice for your a levels or applying to med, pm me as im due to start med school in 3 weeks

Thank so much and wishing you the best 😁!
hello everyone, if you are feeling concerned about your GCSE results, read this thread if you would like a boost of confidence: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390265
Reply 14
Original post by zkan

SOLID advice here, good job!

DONT GET UR MATHS REMARKED the advice is only get a remark if you are three marks or less to the next grade. I am one mark away from a 9 for RE so I’m getting mine remarked but maths is not a subject that examiners miss marks in and you’ll just lose yourself £40
Reply 16
It’s fine bro 😎 grades don’t stay with you for your whole life, it doesn’t represent who u r, also the grades aren’t even that bad with the boundaries of this year( you probs would’ve even got higher on other years) and you got a few 7s and 8s as well which is rlly solid bro). And if u go on TikTok you’ll see a range of people getting like 1s 2s and 3s so that maybe can make you feel better. Bro don’t be sad keep it up🔥🔥🔥🔥.
Also apparently you can get free nandos with your gcse results so get some free foods and keep it up🔥🔥🔥.

P.s. I’m only in yr9 so those stuff may not be accurate but well done bro
Original post by SophieMadeline14
DONT GET UR MATHS REMARKED the advice is only get a remark if you are three marks or less to the next grade. I am one mark away from a 9 for RE so I’m getting mine remarked but maths is not a subject that examiners miss marks in and you’ll just lose yourself £40

Thank you for the reply! I am not really considering getting remarked due to cost but was thinking maybe if a teacher could review my exam paper for free ( I think?) then see where I can gain marks if not that's fine and also with biology since am one mark away from a 6. But if not that's fine it's just am overthinking about the future (regarding unis) 😅
Original post by Maxi2009
It’s fine bro 😎 grades don’t stay with you for your whole life, it doesn’t represent who u r, also the grades aren’t even that bad with the boundaries of this year( you probs would’ve even got higher on other years) and you got a few 7s and 8s as well which is rlly solid bro). And if u go on TikTok you’ll see a range of people getting like 1s 2s and 3s so that maybe can make you feel better. Bro don’t be sad keep it up🔥🔥🔥🔥.
Also apparently you can get free nandos with your gcse results so get some free foods and keep it up🔥🔥🔥.

P.s. I’m only in yr9 so those stuff may not be accurate but well done bro

Thank you ☺️!! Wishing you well on your GCSE journey :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest