The Student Room Group

Applying to top unis with great predictions but poor gcses

I'm going into y13 and really want to apply to Russell groups to study History. I'm predicted A*A*A, am top of my classes and exceed the requirements for the courses I'm interested in (they all require AAB-AAA). But unfortunately, my GCSEs are pretty mediocre. I do meet the minimum GCSE requirements, incl Maths and English, but my grade in History wasn't great (Grade 6) and overall, I got 8887765555. I have extenuating circumstances for my GCSE grades (which explains the disparity between my predictions and GCSEs, and will be put on my application), but even so, I want to know if it's genuinely worth applying with these grades. Admissions Tutors don't have much material to judge you on, and with everybody having similar A-levels, good Personal Statements and references saying they're the best thing since sliced bread, I'm worried I would be quickly disqualified due to my having lower GCSEs.

The Universities I want to apply to are UCL, Kings, Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh. Is this a good idea, especially considering my 6 in GCSE History? This is what worries me, because people always say that GCSEs don't matter unless it's in a relevant subject...and mine is. However, I hope I could still be considered if they contextualise my application, and realise I'm more than capable of meeting the minimum A-level requirements.
(edited 7 months ago)
If you submit an extenuating circumstances form to each uni when applying, then they will be able to see why your GCSEs are lower
I had a similar circumstance and I submitted the form to each uni and I got offers from all my unis I applied to
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
If you submit an extenuating circumstances form to each uni when applying, then they will be able to see why your GCSEs are lower
I had a similar circumstance and I submitted the form to each uni and I got offers from all my unis I applied to

What course did you apply for, and what Unis?
Original post by eilnabrmnat
What course did you apply for, and what Unis?

I applied for law, and I applied to cambridge, durham, birmingham, bristol and exeter
My GCSEs were 888776655 My A levels are A*A*A*
My circumstances were along the lines of having a disrupted family life
I'm going into y13 and really want to apply to Russell groups to study History. I'm predicted A*A*A, am top of my classes and exceed the requirements for the courses I'm interested in (they all require AAB-AAA). But unfortunately, my GCSEs are pretty mediocre. I do meet the minimum GCSE requirements, incl Maths and English, but my grade in History wasn't great (Grade 6) and overall, I got 8887765555. I have extenuating circumstances for my GCSE grades (which explains the disparity between my predictions and GCSEs, and will be put on my application), but even so, I want to know if it's genuinely worth applying with these grades. Admissions Tutors don't have much material to judge you on, and with everybody having similar A-levels, good Personal Statements and references saying they're the best thing since sliced bread, I'm worried I would be quickly disqualified due to my having lower GCSEs.

The Universities I want to apply to are UCL, Kings, Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh. Is this a good idea, especially considering my 6 in GCSE History? This is what worries me, because people always say that GCSEs don't matter unless it's in a relevant subject...and mine is. However, I hope I could still be considered if they contextualise my application, and realise I'm more than capable of meeting the minimum A-level requirements.

You don't have to apply to all 5 at once. You can submit your application to 3 or 4 of them initially and see what response you get. If you get offers, that's good, but if you get rejections then you can change your strategy for your remaining choices (which you would make before the equal consideration deadline).

Note that some non-RG unis are good for history, eg St Andrews and Lancaster.
I think you will be fine :smile: Smash those A Levels!

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm about to start a MA at Lancaster University. Please feel free to challenge my response to your question if your research has indicated the contrary but anecdotally and from my own research of the HE sector, a lot of University BA degrees do not require subject-specific grades for GCSE in the same way they do for A-Level or equivalent diplomas. For example, a History BA at UCL requires the GCSEs English Language at grade B or 6 and Mathematics at grade C or 5 and Bristol has no required subject-specific GCSE qualifications. Indeed, a lot of Universities recognise that academic performance can shift significantly between Y11 and Y13— even without accounting for extenuating circumstances that might have affected prior attainment. So if your predicted grades for A-Level are strong, your Personal Statement sounds out and you have extenuating circumstances that explain your GCSE results, I don't think it's unreasonable to set your sights high on the options you wish to pursue. And if it's a concern at all, you can contact the Admissions Teams at these institutions to enquire about if your GCSE results would be too detrimental to your chances of entry. Hopefully, this answer helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending