The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for medicine?

Hi, I received:
English lang 6
English lit 8
Maths 6
Science 88
Psychology 6
Geography 6
Spanish 8
Religious studies 7
Yeah. Good job!

For the most part, universities such as Oxford and Cambridge can take GCSEs into account when ranking applicants for interview. The most important requirement to them is that you are studying the right A-Levels (usually Chemistry + another science + another subject). You have two 8s in Science which should be enough to join any sixth form science course.

Best of luck!
Original post by lawislaw
Hi, I received:
English lang 6
English lit 8
Maths 6
Science 88
Psychology 6
Geography 6
Spanish 8
Religious studies 7

Well done on getting through your GCSEs! Your have a pretty good set of grades but I would advise to go for unis that don't put as much weighting on GCSEs (medicine is very competitive and you'd be against applicants with straight 9s) and aiming to do really well in your A-levels and UCAT/BMAT.
Reply 3
Original post by Nikoviking
Yeah. Good job!

For the most part, universities such as Oxford and Cambridge can take GCSEs into account when ranking applicants for interview. The most important requirement to them is that you are studying the right A-Levels (usually Chemistry + another science + another subject). You have two 8s in Science which should be enough to join any sixth form science course.

Best of luck!

okay thank you so much !
Reply 4
Original post by Mocha Latte
Well done on getting through your GCSEs! Your have a pretty good set of grades but I would advise to go for unis that don't put as much weighting on GCSEs (medicine is very competitive and you'd be against applicants with straight 9s) and aiming to do really well in your A-levels and UCAT/BMAT.

Bit of an exaggeration but the main message is definitely correct. Medicine is unbelievably competitive. You definitely have a shot, but you will certainly need some great A-levels to prop up your application.
Reply 5
Original post by KWad
Bit of an exaggeration but the main message is definitely correct. Medicine is unbelievably competitive. You definitely have a shot, but you will certainly need some great A-levels to prop up your application.

are u saying my GCSE grades are bad?
Reply 6
No - compared to most people in the country your grades are great. That being said however (as previously mentioned) medicine is incredibly competitive with many applicants having mostly 8s and 9s. In the context of medicine therefore, just having good GCSEs will not make much of a difference as your competition will often have comparable or superior grades to yours. Hence good A-Level results are a must if you plan to go into medicine. Sorry if I was not clear the first time.

Quick Reply

Latest