The Student Room Group

Good A-level grades and bad gcse grades

Here I am, in year 12, I did mediocre in my gcse got 5s and 6s and now, im doing biology and chemistry and sociology and today I’m being informed that I won’t be able to do medicine because of my gcse grades and somehow I feel discouraged of doing medicine in the future and now I feel like it’s the end of the world, and I’m thinking if I get strong A-level grades better than my GCSE’s would I’d be able to do medicine, by the way I’m in year 12 even if it’s no rush but I somehow need to do better than my first A-level mock and do better in my second A-level mock to at least be capable to do medicine,

Any solution to overcome discouragement…?
Reply 1
Who told you that you 'can't do Medicine'?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Who told you that you 'can't do Medicine'?

One of my tutors, she said a lot of people who got higher gcse grades are able to get into medicine to do in uni…
Reply 3
Entry requirements for each UK Med School - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)

Each Uni will have a different attitude to 'GCSE profiles' - check each Uni website/course page carefully, and if it isn't clear, email them and ask.
The key ones are English language and Maths GCSEs. Those can be critical. Sciences can be important. How important depends on the school.

If you get the necessary min 3 A at A level then (depending on the admissions policies in place at the time) GCSEs other than English and Maths may not matter so much.

However, it may mean that you have to do extremely well in the entrance exams (UCAT) and your choices may be more limited.

If you are eligible, foundation year may be an option.

Focussing on bringing your grades up now is essential.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Sami-Y2K
Here I am, in year 12, I did mediocre in my gcse got 5s and 6s and now, im doing biology and chemistry and sociology and today I’m being informed that I won’t be able to do medicine because of my gcse grades and somehow I feel discouraged of doing medicine in the future and now I feel like it’s the end of the world, and I’m thinking if I get strong A-level grades better than my GCSE’s would I’d be able to do medicine, by the way I’m in year 12 even if it’s no rush but I somehow need to do better than my first A-level mock and do better in my second A-level mock to at least be capable to do medicine,

Any solution to overcome discouragement…?

You just Need a 6 in maths eng lang and sciences and youll have around 12 options u have quite low gcses I have 4 grades 7 also One of My teachers said the same school at My old school dont Let people like that put u down they Think their helping but they dont actually know enough about the application process to be giving unsolicitated advice and any My grades basically equivates to the same as urs ngl but there are still options availabpe defo check out that pdf but discord newcastle and Idk straight away they score gcses Make sure you look on the website for extra details cause a lot of schools say you meet min requirements but thats not enough work on alevels and ucat when the time comes those are the most important things in making ur application realistic and competitive I also recommend if u have a specific med school you want to Go u disregard it as u want to Make ur application strategically
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending