The Student Room Group

a levels english lit, english lang, maths and further maths??

i was initially going to do english lit, history, maths and fm but it doesnt work in terms of timetabling and english language is the only other subject that i would be willing to take instead of history. my issue is that i am concerned that this set of subjects is too narrow for uni applications. currently, i am hoping to study philosophy and mathematics at uni and am planning to apply to oxford. would this selection of subjects disadvantage me??
Reply 1
Original post by ameliasutherland
i was initially going to do english lit, history, maths and fm but it doesnt work in terms of timetabling and english language is the only other subject that i would be willing to take instead of history. my issue is that i am concerned that this set of subjects is too narrow for uni applications. currently, i am hoping to study philosophy and mathematics at uni and am planning to apply to oxford. would this selection of subjects disadvantage me??

This selection of subjects is great. With Maths and Philosophy, you are only obligated to study Maths and Further Maths (which you have). Many people (a majority, in fact) get offers for only doing three A-Levels, so your fourth doesn't matter. This third subject is typically an essay-based subject to prove your aptitude for philosophy; English Literature is without doubt the strongest preparatory subject that involves interpreting similarly complex themes. It will make practically no difference as to what your fourth subject is, so it's best to not worry about that.
In fact, the workload for A-Level History is huge (I can say from experience since I'm half way through the course; I'm also studying English Literature, Maths, Economics and an EPQ which all have much smaller workloads), so if anything, it might help you to do English Language over History to alleviate you from a vast workload.
English Language is also notably helpful for the "logic" components of Philosophy, so it will be respected, and your application is perfectly competitive.
Might I also ask if it's possible for you to study R.S. or Philosophy as your fourth subject? It's not necessary but if you have the chance to study it in advance, it could be a fair choice.
Original post by Riann246
This selection of subjects is great. With Maths and Philosophy, you are only obligated to study Maths and Further Maths (which you have). Many people (a majority, in fact) get offers for only doing three A-Levels, so your fourth doesn't matter. This third subject is typically an essay-based subject to prove your aptitude for philosophy; English Literature is without doubt the strongest preparatory subject that involves interpreting similarly complex themes. It will make practically no difference as to what your fourth subject is, so it's best to not worry about that.
In fact, the workload for A-Level History is huge (I can say from experience since I'm half way through the course; I'm also studying English Literature, Maths, Economics and an EPQ which all have much smaller workloads), so if anything, it might help you to do English Language over History to alleviate you from a vast workload.
English Language is also notably helpful for the "logic" components of Philosophy, so it will be respected, and your application is perfectly competitive.
Might I also ask if it's possible for you to study R.S. or Philosophy as your fourth subject? It's not necessary but if you have the chance to study it in advance, it could be a fair choice.

unfortunately, rs/ philosophy also doesn’t work with my timetable as i would have preferred to take that instead of english language
Reply 3
Original post by ameliasutherland
unfortunately, rs/ philosophy also doesn’t work with my timetable as i would have preferred to take that instead of english language

Your subjects are perfect then. It'd also do no harm to choose Philosophy / R.S as your third subject over English Literature if your timetable works out that way, but again this will not impact your competitive application.
Original post by Riann246
Your subjects are perfect then. It'd also do no harm to choose Philosophy / R.S as your third subject over English Literature if your timetable works out that way, but again this will not impact your competitive application.

okay- thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest