The Student Room Group

Would this A Level combination be okay?

I have wanted to study A level maths, further maths, english literature and history for a year now but I have been told that this combination of subjects does not work due to the way that the option blocks are and so I have to swap one out/ drop one.

I am unwilling to drop one as I wouldn't study further maths as one of three a levels and I also wouldn't drop further maths. The only subject that I would be willing to swap something out for is English language. I didn't enjoy the gcse, however I have heard that a level is very different and it sounds interesting.

I would prefer to drop history for English lang but then that leaves me with two English and two maths subjects, which I feel like is too narrow. I would be willing to drop English literature for language but I would prefer not to.

I am currently hoping to study maths and philosophy at university and plan to apply to Oxford. I also got a 9 in English lang and history, and an 8 in English lit at gsce if that makes any difference.

If anyone has experience of both English lit and English lang at a level, which one did/ do you prefer, and if anyone has experience of history, if it truly as impossible as TikTok makes it out to be??
Original post by ameliasutherland
I have wanted to study A level maths, further maths, english literature and history for a year now but I have been told that this combination of subjects does not work due to the way that the option blocks are and so I have to swap one out/ drop one.

I am unwilling to drop one as I wouldn't study further maths as one of three a levels and I also wouldn't drop further maths. The only subject that I would be willing to swap something out for is English language. I didn't enjoy the gcse, however I have heard that a level is very different and it sounds interesting.

I would prefer to drop history for English lang but then that leaves me with two English and two maths subjects, which I feel like is too narrow. I would be willing to drop English literature for language but I would prefer not to.

I am currently hoping to study maths and philosophy at university and plan to apply to Oxford. I also got a 9 in English lang and history, and an 8 in English lit at gsce if that makes any difference.

If anyone has experience of both English lit and English lang at a level, which one did/ do you prefer, and if anyone has experience of history, if it truly as impossible as TikTok makes it out to be??

I did Combined English despite not enjoying Language at GCSE and it was one of the best decisions so far. Literature is the same as it was in GCSE but Language was a different level. If you are someone who is more analytical then choose Language but if you prefer talking through things thematically then pick Literature.

I enjoyed Language because of the different theories and types of texts you're introduced to, and how it's less abstract than Literature. However, if you're interested in Philosophy then Literature is probably better for you since speaking about abstract elements overlaps both of the subjects.

If possible, you should go for Combined English (sometimes labelled as just 'English') but if you can only pick one, Literature is logically the best choice in terms of your future goals. Hope things brings some clarity.

P.S. Everyone I know who picked History regretted it, but don't let me put you off! :smile:
Reply 2

I am currently hoping to study maths and philosophy at university

Looks like top Unis dont care about any A level subjects apart from Maths - so pick the subject you think you will enjoy studying the most.

Bristol (Msci or BSc) - https://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/maths/msci-maths-philosophy/ - A*AA including A* in Maths
Manchester - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/00595/bsc-mathematics-and-philosophy/ - A*AA with an A* in Maths
Leeds - https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/4586/mathematics-and-philosophy-bsc - AAB including A in Mathematics.
York - https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/ba-bsc-mathematics-philosophy/ - AAB including A in Maths
Birmingham - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/jointhonours/mathematics-and-philosophy.aspx - AAB including A in Maths
Southampton - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/philosophy-mathematics-degree-ba - ABB including Maths at grade A
Etc etc
Reply 3
honestly, if you're aiming for oxford, i would try and keep further maths, they seem to like students who are doing the subject and applying for maths degrees. i have experience of doing english lang as i did it first year, but then dropped it for further so i am quite biased but i didn't really like the subject. i personally didn't enjoy the content, but if you like english you probably will. my friend did a level history first year as well, and i don't know if he liked it but he did say there was a lot more content than GCSE, so just be wary however, it's your decision and you should do what you enjoy. it's better to do a levels you enjoy than those you have no interest in.
For maths (and joint honours courses with maths) there is normally no issue with just doing maths/FM/another (i.e. 3 subjects only). The only situation where sometimes it may be a problem is if your school teaches all of maths in year 12 and you do the exams in year 12 for that, and FM in year 13 - as then you'd end up only doing exams for two subjects in year 13.

Basically start by looking at the "big options" you want to aim for e.g. Oxford in your case (also probably worth looking at Warwick and Bristol as they also have joint honours maths and philosophy degrees and strengths in one or both sides of that course) and see if you meet those requirements. Chances are if you meet the requirements there, you'll meet the requirements just about anywhere else.

But in any event, maths/FM/English lit/English lang is a perfectly fine combination for a degree in maths and philosophy at basically any uni I can think of :smile:
Doesn’t your sixth form offer philosophy A level?
Original post by PQ
Doesn’t your sixth form offer philosophy A level?

they do, but that also wouldn’t work timetable wise unfortunately
they do, but that also wouldn’t work timetable wise unfortunately

Personally I’d be looking for another sixth form or college that would allow me to study the 2 subjects I want to study as a degree instead of compromising on the least worst alternatives

Quick Reply

Latest