The Student Room Group

Doing a-level biology privately.

I wasn't able to get the grades I needed to do a-level biology and chemistry and I can't apply to other schools now since enrolment is over. I am planning to do chemistry, sociology and law, and then do biology separately. If my school allows me to do 2 a-levels then I will be dropping sociology. I just wanted to ask if it is possible for me to do most of my a-levels at a sixth form and then one a-level privately?
Original post by supansa.s
I wasn't able to get the grades I needed to do a-level biology and chemistry and I can't apply to other schools now since enrolment is over. I am planning to do chemistry, sociology and law, and then do biology separately. If my school allows me to do 2 a-levels then I will be dropping sociology. I just wanted to ask if it is possible for me to do most of my a-levels at a sixth form and then one a-level privately?

Do you need biology for the course you want to study at uni? If you do, you can always do the foundation year version of that degree. The extra year is to build your gcse knowledge to the A Level standard. It is unlikely that the school will allow you to do 2 A Levels, but email them your concerns.
Doing it privately, will give you less support, and cost an arm and a leg. You will also have to register as a private candidate for that exam, and do it in an assessment centre that is not your school
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Do you need biology for the course you want to study at uni? If you do, you can always do the foundation year version of that degree. The extra year is to build your gcse knowledge to the A Level standard. It is unlikely that the school will allow you to do 2 A Levels, but email them your concerns.
Doing it privately, will give you less support, and cost an arm and a leg. You will also have to register as a private candidate for that exam, and do it in an assessment centre that is not your school

I am planning to do medicine, so yes i need biology however I can adjust to another course. I have already looked into the foundation years which are very limited for medicine especially, also because some universities still ask for biology or another science. This is why I am thinking of doing biology separately so it can give me a wider and larger range and chance. I do realise that my school is probably not willing to allow me to do 2 a-levels, but I am going to ask them in person to make sure. I just want to know if universities will see me differently if I did one subject privately, and also if I am allowed and will be considered as a normal a-level student or considered as a private student. I have no problem with doing it in an assessment centre, and hopefully will be able to manage with the cost as some do it cheaper than others.

Quick Reply

Latest