The Student Room Group

Private Candidate A-Level Biology

Hi, I am doing Biology externally outside of school as I decided i wanted to do after the deadline for subject changes was, I have some questions on how to do it?

-Are PAGs necessary for private candidates
-How will I get my predicted grade

And in general any tips you have!
idk what pags means but book ur bio exams with an exam centre. u can pay more at some exam centres for them to give you a predicted grade and you also need a reference from ur old school teachers or u can ask the exam centre for this too. u need to pass the practicals which is gonna be expensive and the exam centre tends to send u to schools to do this
it'll be easier if u get a job
Original post by VANN_2
Hi, I am doing Biology externally outside of school as I decided i wanted to do after the deadline for subject changes was, I have some questions on how to do it?

Do u know about the non written assessment for bio a level does it affect my grade if I am private student sitting the exam or no???
Reply 3
If you are taking A levels in England and the Biology A level has subject relevance to your chosen degree then the Universities are likely to specify that you need a pass in the practical endorsement. This is available to private candidates through a small number of exam centres but it is expensive (Expect to pay around £1000 in addition to exam fees e.g. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centres/a-level-science-practical-endorsement/ ). Although practical knowledge will probably affect your final exam performance, the result of the practicals does not affect your grade. Check with your universities whether they will require the practical endorsement.

You can ask your UCAS referee if they might include a grade prediction for your external A level, if you apply through school usually they won't include a prediction for a subject you are not studying with them.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by VANN_2

Hi I’m looking to do the same thing but have not yet found an online course that won’t cost me an arm and a leg. How have you gone about doing this? Are you doing it on top of the workload for three subjects already?

About the PAGs, have you spoken to your school about doing the practical assessments with them? I know that the people doing bio in my school have just completed a section of that of that work but I’m not sure how it would translate if you are sitting the exams in other exam centre.

Quick Reply

Latest