The Student Room Group

How to become an Apprentice in Healthcare..

I want to become a diagnostic radiographer apprentice I just finished my BTEC APPLIED SCIENCE gaining D*D*D and I'm currently working as a Respitory Assistant .I don't know how to make myself a start candidate for an apprenticeship's department I am in are happy to take me on as an apprentice after some time. However I want to move to the radiology department.
How do I do this. Should i try get work experience in the department. Apply for imaging assistant roles and work myself up to an apprentice there. Or would any health care setting be suitable to gain the apprenticeship.
Original post by farhaanafzalf2
I want to become a diagnostic radiographer apprentice I just finished my BTEC APPLIED SCIENCE gaining D*D*D and I'm currently working as a Respitory Assistant .I don't know how to make myself a start candidate for an apprenticeship's department I am in are happy to take me on as an apprentice after some time. However I want to move to the radiology department.
How do I do this. Should i try get work experience in the department. Apply for imaging assistant roles and work myself up to an apprentice there. Or would any health care setting be suitable to gain the apprenticeship.

I would say any healthcare setting is suitable. Recruiters know that people applying for apprenticeships will usually have little to no experience because they're grads, switching industry or fresh out of school.

Speak with your manager to see if there are any development opportunities for you to transition. If not….

Carry on as you are making plans for higher education that suits your interests. That being apprenticeships and/or full time study. Maximise your higher education options. Apply for university or assistant/technician radiographer roles, you can retract your offer if something better comes up.

Brush up the CV, sell yourself with examples, and tailor it to represent an inspiring radiographer.

Because no prior knowledge is required, you would gain more value from reflecting on the experience you already have. I.è.,
What evidence do you have to show you have the required skills to persist and gain competence by taking a radiographer apprenticeship?
Where have you show initiative in driving your own development in the pursuit of becoming a radiographer?
Master interview and assessment day techniques as soon as you can.

Keep checking for vacancies for apprenticeships titled therapeutic and/or diagnostic radiographer.

These are the two relevant apprenticeship standards. You would be trained to one of them:
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/?keywords=radiographer

hope this helps
Did u get radiograohy apprenticeship? I'm applied and recieved offer bit very nervous. There is alot to do before September and I don't have grades yet
Haha yeah I’m doing a degree apprenticeship now in ODP . It’s great and they were a lot more applications for ODP then radiography where I live and the pay rate was relatively similar and so was employment.
If you have any questions let me know I’m happy to help
I know how it is the whole process is tiring af
Original post by JerryAttrick
Did u get radiograohy apprenticeship? I'm applied and recieved offer bit very nervous. There is alot to do before September and I don't have grades yet
Hey, I do have a few questions actually. Firstly did u join straight after 6th form or were u like health worker before?
Is it tough the course?
How do ur holidays work? Like would I be expected to work on Christmas holiday?
I'm 5hinking of not taking out student load coz I'll be greeting atleast 15k a year. Is this silly and should I get a loan instead?
Can u have student life while balancing course. Placement and job?
Also what uni r u at. I'm going to wrexham in wales so I have to stay for 5 years total.
Lastly r u happy w ur choice. I'm doing this career just for next 10 years u til I find what I truly want to do yk. Is money tight atm as student ir is ur salary decent?
Thank u and I really appreciate ur help
Reply 7
The vast majority of degree apprenticeships in healthcare such as Nursing, Occupational Therapy and Speech and Language Therapy are offered to existing employees who have shown that they have potential. It's a shame but it's pretty rare for these to be offered to school leavers. A member of my family was successful in getting one of these after her A Levels. So it can be done but it's rare. She is the youngest person in her class at university.

It's a pity. I think if the NHS and other employers were wiling to give school leavers a chance then degree apprenticeships would be a popular option. After all we are being told that there is a shortage of qualified people.

So yes working in the industry is the route for most.
Original post by JerryAttrick
Hey, I do have a few questions actually. Firstly did u join straight after 6th form or were u like health worker before?
Is it tough the course?
How do ur holidays work? Like would I be expected to work on Christmas holiday?
I'm 5hinking of not taking out student load coz I'll be greeting atleast 15k a year. Is this silly and should I get a loan instead?
Can u have student life while balancing course. Placement and job?
Also what uni r u at. I'm going to wrexham in wales so I have to stay for 5 years total.
Lastly r u happy w ur choice. I'm doing this career just for next 10 years u til I find what I truly want to do yk. Is money tight atm as student ir is ur salary decent?
Thank u and I really appreciate ur help

Yeah straight after college I worked as a assistant physiologist for about 7 months then landed the apprenticeship, I was worried I needed to be working as an assistant in the apprenticeship department I wanted to get into but it was fine. I did a lot of shadowing days in theatres and with radiographers

Holidays work as normal , not required to work Christmas. And you can request study leave so that’s handy

the course is though it’s not like traditional uni your work load is even bigger but I handle it well. Just don’t expect it to be easier than uni.

I wouldn’t recommend a student loan because you’re earning a salary but ig it depends if your planning to live there a student loan would make it more comfortable i guess . Espically if your avoiding many student loans in the first place :/

yeah having a student life ? Mine is more or less all online and I commute an hour there and back everyday so it’s quiet tough to be social but it’s do able. You do tend to study outside normal hours of course. So you expect to be “grafting” most the time espically compared to your friends.

yeah I’m happy with what I do . I’m 19 and when I compare my situation to everyone else , I’m making more money and getting qualified compared to those who just go uni.
im not getting any debt and the work itself is fairly decent so it’s as much as I can ask for tbh
im at the university of derby and I’m only studying for 3 years
Reply 9
Hi, hope you don’t mind me asking some questions too. What do you mean by the workload is even bigger than uni ? Is it the actual assessments that they give you or because you’re working along side it? I’m hoping to do a therapeutic radiography degree apprenticeship one day !

Yeah straight after college I worked as a assistant physiologist for about 7 months then landed the apprenticeship, I was worried I needed to be working as an assistant in the apprenticeship department I wanted to get into but it was fine. I did a lot of shadowing days in theatres and with radiographers

Holidays work as normal , not required to work Christmas. And you can request study leave so that’s handy

the course is though it’s not like traditional uni your work load is even bigger but I handle it well. Just don’t expect it to be easier than uni.

I wouldn’t recommend a student loan because you’re earning a salary but ig it depends if your planning to live there a student loan would make it more comfortable i guess . Espically if your avoiding many student loans in the first place :/

yeah having a student life ? Mine is more or less all online and I commute an hour there and back everyday so it’s quiet tough to be social but it’s do able. You do tend to study outside normal hours of course. So you expect to be “grafting” most the time espically compared to your friends.

yeah I’m happy with what I do . I’m 19 and when I compare my situation to everyone else , I’m making more money and getting qualified compared to those who just go uni.
im not getting any debt and the work itself is fairly decent so it’s as much as I can ask for tbh
im at the university of derby and I’m only studying for 3 years
Original post by Mara1680
I would say any healthcare setting is suitable. Recruiters know that people applying for apprenticeships will usually have little to no experience because they're grads, switching industry or fresh out of school.

Hi, I just wanted to ask if it’s possible for me to get D*D*D* if I got a merit in unit 2 and distinctions in the rest of the exams and assignments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending