The Student Room Group

UCAS Questions -- Applying to Oxford as an American

Hi -- I am applying to Oxford from America. The criteria for my course are AAA, which is 555 for AP scores. I have inputted those three 5 APs into UCAS. They are in relevant subjects. I also have the required ACT score for my Oxford course, and I have inputted that into UCAS as well. My questions are below, and I would be grateful for any help:

1. For Oxford, is there anything I else I need to input in the education section of UCAS?

2. That is, do I need to list out ALL the courses I have ever taken in high school?
Including grades in those courses? And also list out all the courses that I am currently taking in high school? Does Oxford really want all that? (If so, how do I enter all of that information on UCAS in the education section?)

3. I am taking additional AP courses this fall and in the spring semester. I don't need them to meet the criteria for my Oxford course, but do I still need to list those additional courses on UCAS and say those scores are "pending"? I won't take those AP exams until May 2024.

4. I've heard about the concept of "predicted grades." Are "predicted grades" only needed for courses required to meet the Oxford criteria for AAA or 555? Since I've already met the criteria, do I (or my referee) need to concern myself with "predicted grades"?

Thanks for any help in this challenging UCAS process!!
You need to list your High School Diploma (even if it’s pending and will be awarded next year). You don’t have to list each subject - if a university needs the details they’ll ask for a transcript
You MUST list all qualifications - so both completed and pending APs

Your referee will have the option to submit a predicted grade for any pending results. It’s not compulsory and many applicants don’t have predicted grades.
Reply 2
Thank you very much. Since I already have the necessary AP scores of 555 in relevant subjects for my Oxford course, do I need to include in the Education section other AP subjects that I am currently taking in school but will have no bearing on my Oxford course? For example, I am currently taking Psychology AP and I will take that AP exam in May 2024. That class has nothing to do with my Oxford course. Am I still required to list that in the Education section as pending and offer a predicted grade for that? That psychology class doesn’t seem to be a “qualification” to me. Please let me know. I want to be thorough but also not provide unnecessary information. Appreciate your help very much!
Original post by erwjr
Thank you very much. Since I already have the necessary AP scores of 555 in relevant subjects for my Oxford course, do I need to include in the Education section other AP subjects that I am currently taking in school but will have no bearing on my Oxford course? For example, I am currently taking Psychology AP and I will take that AP exam in May 2024. That class has nothing to do with my Oxford course. Am I still required to list that in the Education section as pending and offer a predicted grade for that? That psychology class doesn’t seem to be a “qualification” to me. Please let me know. I want to be thorough but also not provide unnecessary information. Appreciate your help very much!

Yes, as noted above, UCAS requires you declare all secondary school qualifications. If you're taking an AP class you need to list it, whether you think it's relevant or not. Oxford even specifically note this on their webpage that even for cancelled or withdrawn scores these need to be declared (under USA): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications

"Score cancellation/withdrawal

We are aware that students taking APs can apply to College Board to have their scores cancelled or withdrawn. However, it is a requirement of the UCAS application process for students to declare all results, including any that have been cancelled or withdrawn, so that tutors are able to consider students' full educational profile. Failure to declare all qualifications could result in Oxford withdrawing any offer made to you. "

(emphasis mine)
Reply 4
Thank you very much. I understand. One last thing please:

On the personal statement, I have 5 paragraphs. There is no way to indent (unless there is?!). It all becomes a bit jumbled because I can’t indent. And I don’t have space to skip lines between paragraphs. Are Oxford tutors accustomed to seeing personal statements look like this?!? Thank you.
Original post by erwjr
Thank you very much. I understand. One last thing please:

On the personal statement, I have 5 paragraphs. There is no way to indent (unless there is?!). It all becomes a bit jumbled because I can’t indent. And I don’t have space to skip lines between paragraphs. Are Oxford tutors accustomed to seeing personal statements look like this?!? Thank you.

Best to make tweaks so you have enough space to include the line breaks. Being concise is a virtue!
Reply 6
Another thing please - I have completed all portions of the UCAS application and an email link has been sent to my teacher to do the reference. All the sections show they are completed. Except the reference section! Does anyone know why that is? Does that section only show it is completed once the reference is submitted? In the meantime, can I pay for and submit my application? Or do I need to wait for my teacher to do the reference, and only then can I pay for and submit the application? Thanks!!
Original post by erwjr
Another thing please - I have completed all portions of the UCAS application and an email link has been sent to my teacher to do the reference. All the sections show they are completed. Except the reference section! Does anyone know why that is? Does that section only show it is completed once the reference is submitted? In the meantime, can I pay for and submit my application? Or do I need to wait for my teacher to do the reference, and only then can I pay for and submit the application? Thanks!!

You can’t submit until your reference has been submitted. You have to wait for your teacher.

make sure they’re aware of the deadline
Reply 8
Thank you.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, as noted above, UCAS requires you declare all secondary school qualifications. If you're taking an AP class you need to list it, whether you think it's relevant or not. Oxford even specifically note this on their webpage that even for cancelled or withdrawn scores these need to be declared (under USA): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications

"Score cancellation/withdrawal

We are aware that students taking APs can apply to College Board to have their scores cancelled or withdrawn. However, it is a requirement of the UCAS application process for students to declare all results, including any that have been cancelled or withdrawn, so that tutors are able to consider students' full educational profile. Failure to declare all qualifications could result in Oxford withdrawing any offer made to you. "

(emphasis mine)

I have searched on many different websites to see if this also applies to cancelled ACT scores and I was wondering if you knew. ACT scores are usually not cancellable after you receive them so I have a feeling that universities might not have included them in their requirements. My reason for cancellation wasn’t a horrible grade, rather ACT’s failure to provide accommodations for my first test. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
I have searched on many different websites to see if this also applies to cancelled ACT scores and I was wondering if you knew. ACT scores are usually not cancellable after you receive them so I have a feeling that universities might not have included them in their requirements. My reason for cancellation wasn’t a horrible grade, rather ACT’s failure to provide accommodations for my first test. Thank you!

You should include it and ask your referee to explain the reason for the lower grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending