The Student Room Group

Oxford UCAS Application

Hi there,
I just received my UCAS Predicted Grades and I got ABB (A for Sociology, Bs for Economics and History). I would like to apply to study law at Oxford and I know the law entry requirement for Oxford is AAA, however I am eligible for a contextual offer as I live in an area that that goes under its category and also receive FSM so the entry requirement for me can be lowered.

Is it possible for me to apply?
Original post by Fa4d33n_a
Hi there,
I just received my UCAS Predicted Grades and I got ABB (A for Sociology, Bs for Economics and History). I would like to apply to study law at Oxford and I know the law entry requirement for Oxford is AAA, however I am eligible for a contextual offer as I live in an area that that goes under its category and also receive FSM so the entry requirement for me can be lowered.

Is it possible for me to apply?

Short answer is “yes” as anyone can apply

To the question “is it worth my applying or am I wasting my time” the answer is “if it’s where you want to go then apply and see what happens / follow your dream”.

You get 5 choices on UCAS so if you don’t get Oxford, you still have 4 other choices.

As per the Oxford guidelines for contextual considerations (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data) they don’t really do conditional offers. They still need you to meet the standard offer unless you have mitigating circumstances.

I.e. if you were to be predicted AAA then, because of your background, they would recognise that hare probably a more able student than someone with the same grades who had a better start in life and so your application would be given preference.

The Oxford admissions process is that, a process. To get an offer then, from my point of view, you need to successfully pass the gates at each stage.

1st stage for you is to ask your school to change your predicted grades to AAA as you want to apply for Oxford, Next stage is to do super curricular activities to show your love of the subject. 3rd stage is to apply😁 etc etc

So, yes, you can apply and, if you can get your predicted grades changes, then you should apply and give it a go.
Reply 2
Conditional offers don’t really exist at Oxbridge. You will need to achieve their grade requirements, especially for a competitive degree like Law.
You may be eligible for their Foundation Year program if you’re from a disadvantaged background and said disadvantages affect your A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending