The Student Room Group

A-level STEM subjects

hello i have just started A-levels with my 4 subjects being maths, further maths, chem and physics and have had trouble deciding what STEM subjects to take as maths and chem were a must have whilst further maths bio and physics were to fill up the remaining two. I had picked further maths as maths is my strongest STEM subject and i do enjoy normal maths and am picked sciences as i’m honestly a STEM minded person however i have absolutely no clue what i want to do as free A-levels and as such want to know if it’s worth doing math,fm,physics and chem and if i should drop fm or physics for bio as i don’t want any stem doors to really close for me and want to ask if fm is really worth it even just for medicine and dentistry and also i enjoy all 3 sciences quite equally and will be willing to put in the work in any other the 3.

For reference i received all 9s in triple sci and gcse maths and further maths
(edited 7 months ago)
Why are you taking 4 A levels?

If you’re interested in medicine then 3 A levels with good grades is more beneficial than a 4th A level in FM
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why are you taking 4 A levels?

If you’re interested in medicine then 3 A levels with good grades is more beneficial than a 4th A level in FM

basically i picked 4 as i already know that i want to do something stem based for my a levels but the problem is i don’t know if i want to go medicine dentistry route or chemical engineering or finance or anything to be honest. And 4 a levels not only opens up more options it kinda helps with getting into better unis.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kage346
basically i picked 4 as i already know that i want to do something stem based for my a levels but the problem is i don’t know if i want to go medicine dentistry route or chemical engineering or finance or anything to be honest. And 4 a levels not only opens up more options it kinda helps with getting into better unis.

nope it really doesnt, and just pick facilitating subjects. maths and any two sciences is fine.
Original post by Kage346

You don't get "bonus points" for doing 4 A-levels.

There are I think two medical schools or so which score a 4th A-level.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
List of entry requirements for each UK Med School - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)

You dont need 4 A levels - it doesnt give you any automatic advantage, and you risk all of your grades by doing this. Remember AAA will always look better than ABBB and this could cost you a University place.

Quick Reply

Latest