The Student Room Group

Volume of gases question

If 100cm³ Hydrogen reacts with 700cm³ Oxygen (an excess), what will be the
total volume of gases after the reaction?

H2(g)+202(g)O3(g) + H2O(l)
Original post by Lucy_Alice_1

Firstly, what have you tried so far?

Secondly, that equation won’t help as it is not balanced nor should it show both ozone and oxygen on the left hand side. (Edit: I now realise that aside from the lack of an arrow between the 2O2 (g) and O3 (g), the equation is perfectly correct, it just represents a reaction that isn’t especially likely to occur)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy_Alice_1

Can't you just the volumes as these are equivalent to moles at the same T and P. So all hydrogen used and use twice as much oxygen I.e 200cm3. So 500cm3 left. 100 cm3 of ozone formed as 1:1wuth hydrogen. Total vol is 500 +100=600cm3
Original post by Mole man
Can't you just the volumes as these are equivalent to moles at the same T and P. So all hydrogen used and use twice as much oxygen I.e 200cm3. So 500cm3 left. 100 cm3 of ozone formed as 1:1wuth hydrogen. Total vol is 500 +100=600cm3

Firstly, as pointed out above, you need to identify the correct equation for combustion of hydrogen (hint; there is no ozone involved).
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Firstly, as pointed out above, you need to identify the correct equation for combustion of hydrogen (hint; there is no ozone involved).

I agree! I just presumed that the equation had been given in the question!

Quick Reply

Latest