The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

What if my fourth subject isn’t ‘preferred’ by Imperial?

What if my fourth subject isn’t ‘preferred’ by Imperial? Will it significantly reduce my chances of getting in?

On the chemical engineering course (entry for 2024) page they have now changed it to: ‘If you’re studying four A-levels, we prefer the fourth to be in Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics, Business Studies or Economics at grade A’.

For reference, I have achieved A*A*A*A (and A* in EPQ) in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.

Will me not having my 4th subject in one of those subjects mentioned, decrease my chances of getting in significantly?
Original post by Anonymous
What if my fourth subject isn’t ‘preferred’ by Imperial? Will it significantly reduce my chances of getting in?

On the chemical engineering course (entry for 2024) page they have now changed it to: ‘If you’re studying four A-levels, we prefer the fourth to be in Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics, Business Studies or Economics at grade A’.

For reference, I have achieved A*A*A*A (and A* in EPQ) in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.

Will me not having my 4th subject in one of those subjects mentioned, decrease my chances of getting in significantly?

where does it say that?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
where does it say that?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/chemical-engineering/

Go to minimum entry requirements

what an odd thing for them to add - it disappears if you select study with a year abroad

I'd give them an email to the details on https://www.imperial.ac.uk/chemical-engineering/courses/undergraduate/ and ask them to clarify
Reply 4
Honestly - it looks like an error.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Honestly - it looks like an error.

Just a bit annoying because I’ve already done my a levels :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
what an odd thing for them to add - it disappears if you select study with a year abroad

I'd give them an email to the details on https://www.imperial.ac.uk/chemical-engineering/courses/undergraduate/ and ask them to clarify

Yeah, I noticed that; I’ve emailed them
Hey, I’m not sure if you’re still wondering since the application deadline is gone and past, but my 4th a level isn’t ‘preferred’ either (geography, same as you) but I hold an offer for chem eng with imperial.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1

Absolutely not! For CS, the recommended A level subjects list is:

1) Maths
2) Computer Science
3) Further Maths
4) Physics.

Now, I do 5 A levels (the first three mentioned above, Chemistry and EPQ) and I still got the offer. If anything, the subjects I've gone for go against the common applicants A levels so if anything, I stand out a bit more (albeit maybe for the wrong reason).

As long as you've demonstrated your interest in your chosen subject in your personal statement, have a good admissions test score and interview (if applicable), then it will not impact you.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey, I’m not sure if you’re still wondering since the application deadline is gone and past, but my 4th a level isn’t ‘preferred’ either (geography, same as you) but I hold an offer for chem eng with imperial.

Oh okay, thank you! I’ve got an interview next week; so I’m a bit nervous. I think geography should be in that preferred list anyways; I believe geography is equally as useful as business studies for chem eng.

Oh and what was your offer? (What grades do you need in each subject?)
Original post by vnayak
Absolutely not! For CS, the recommended A level subjects list is:

1) Maths
2) Computer Science
3) Further Maths
4) Physics.

Now, I do 5 A levels (the first three mentioned above, Chemistry and EPQ) and I still got the offer. If anything, the subjects I've gone for go against the common applicants A levels so if anything, I stand out a bit more (albeit maybe for the wrong reason).

As long as you've demonstrated your interest in your chosen subject in your personal statement, have a good admissions test score and interview (if applicable), then it will not impact you.

EPQ isn’t an A level.

You take 4 A levels plus and EPQ not 5 A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending