The Student Room Group

GCSE

If I resit my GCSES and get all 9's and then get A's in my A levels do I have a chance to be accepted at Oxford for medicine or are they gonna look at the fact that I had to re-sit my GCSE what if to become a stronger applicant I take 4 A-levels rather than 3? I am resitting my GCSE because I moved country and had issues... Also what A levels are the best to take for medicine what would the 4th one be?
Please let me know
Thank you very much
I would just focus on 3 a-levels and do really well in them, university WOULD respect another qualification, but it mainly leads to you potentially burning out across the board due to more subjects and content. They focus on alevels more than gcse's; they look at the harder qualification first. Universities would rather take an applicant who did REALLY WELL in their 3 alevels across the board rather than doing OK in 4 of them, especially if your looking for oxford who demand higher. You CAN do 4 if your really good at time management and are disciplined for the hard work involved, you can do it. But realistically, if you want to play it safe do 3. For med, choose Biology, Chemistry and Math, Bio and chem are mandatory to many unis but maths is flexible, choose pshycology instead of math if you dont like it. If you want to do 4, go for Bio, Chem, Math and either (Phsycology, Physics or Comp sci) the fourth could be any as long as they link with the other 3 as strong, or it could be a more flexible one that you enjoy! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by StarDreamIX
I would just focus on 3 a-levels and do really well in them, university WOULD respect another qualification, but it mainly leads to you potentially burning out across the board due to more subjects and content. They focus on alevels more than gcse's; they look at the harder qualification first. Universities would rather take an applicant who did REALLY WELL in their 3 alevels across the board rather than doing OK in 4 of them, especially if your looking for oxford who demand higher. You CAN do 4 if your really good at time management and are disciplined for the hard work involved, you can do it. But realistically, if you want to play it safe do 3. For med, choose Biology, Chemistry and Math, Bio and chem are mandatory to many unis but maths is flexible, choose pshycology instead of math if you dont like it. If you want to do 4, go for Bio, Chem, Math and either (Phsycology, Physics or Comp sci) the fourth could be any as long as they link with the other 3 as strong, or it could be a more flexible one that you enjoy! Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for replying
So If I do: Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology... I get that Bio and Chem are a requirement but is psychology a qualification that Unis like Oxbridge accepts? I mean is it like a respected qualification or an easy one? Then after Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology, I was thinking of doing A-level Italian as well as it is a language that I already speak, etc... How is that going to relate to my other options when I will get asked in my interviews...? Do you think I should do Italian or not? + Another question you said that I could do Computer science which is a subject that I didn't even study at my GCSE and when I looked at a textbook on Amazon the content seemed in another language to me lol, but then I was like its ok I will try my best i will get lots of
tutors etc... But im not sure if it will be easy... Is maths A level easier or harder than A level computer science??? Because Ik that computer science is a really respected qualification and that in the upcoming years, it will be really essential for medicine as every operation will be done by using
technology if im not wrong....
Ok, sorry for some complications. I do only 3 alevels, so i really dont know what a fourth one would be to do medicine. I wanted to do medicine so i choose bio, chem and math. A fourth could be a language, link that "studying other languages increases knowledge and expertise to communication skill to a more diverse bracket of patients" - langauges are great to shiw diversity, especially in ur personal statement. I mentioned psycology as it has synoptic links to biology (brain, thoughts, synapses neurons etc...) and would be good to link together. (I dont know if oxbridge accepts, but looking on their website: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/medicine - it looks like u need to do math or physics). I said comp sci as it reinforces math and promotes an analytical mind to data collection/management. Also systematic thinking i guess. But they may not accept. Oxbridge are very high standard and would probably expect the best in their candidates so will prob need u to do very math, phy or further math. But dont limit yourself. Many other uni's allow psycology and comp sci, it depeds if u enjoy and it promotes the mind that you need to be and link in ur interviews. Also if you didnt do comp sci gcse, dont do alevel. It is easy compared to other alevels, but boring and will have you burdened that you have to learn extra content from gcse. - Alevel math is way harder than comp sci alevel, it need practice like everyday. Im starting my 2nd of math yr and im worried! Both comp sci and math lead to an analytical mind and math will help you in small places with chem. (Logs and calculations - not very much but useful) but comp sci is good for data analysis/collection and you can say alot about it. You have to think much differently. Im sure it will be alright for you. sorry for the mountain of text im bad at explaining lol. Thanks!! :smile:
also, oxford requires BMAT!!!
Reply 5

Thank you very much!!!
Have you already taken BMAT As you said you're starting Year 13 and wanna do medicine at Uni...?
Is it easy? Have you already prepared yourself? Do you have to study a lot for it?
So basically Oxford doesn't accept psychology as a 3rd A level? Because I was planning to do BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND PSYCHOLOGY WITH MAYBE ITALIAN>>
Reply 6
if I have decided to re-sit all my GCSE independently do I have to like inform the council where I live or something as I won't be going to School and I'm under 18...
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Thank you very much!!!
Have you already taken BMAT As you said you're starting Year 13 and wanna do medicine at Uni...?
Is it easy? Have you already prepared yourself? Do you have to study a lot for it?
So basically Oxford doesn't accept psychology as a 3rd A level? Because I was planning to do BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND PSYCHOLOGY WITH MAYBE ITALIAN>>

No problem, the thing is, I wanted to do medicine, studied a while towards it, then suddenly backed out and went for biomedical sciences which is what I'm going for now. So I did a it of ucat bmat study, but backed away i guess.
If you checked the website it says an additional subject of either physics, math, further math etc... so yeah no psycology. - PLEASE research a bit more! You may find more facts, I only forwarded the first link of oxford med i found, there may be others depending on your study, but yes prob no pycology -- There are MANY unis that acceot psycology, if u wanna do that. You git this dw :smile:
Original post by enthjmk5e664
if I have decided to re-sit all my GCSE independently do I have to like inform the council where I live or something as I won't be going to School and I'm under 18...

I have NO IDEA, maybe you have to contact council? Probably will, but dw, u wan find resources online for BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest