The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Aidan’s accommodation

Hi, so I was reallocated St Aidans and never got an email for accommodation preferences. But i’ve just received an email saying I have a “catered twin standard room”. I’m assuming this means shared but the licence fee is £8610, which is the cost of a single ensuite room, so i’m very confused. Does anyone know what type of accommodation I have? Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I was reallocated St Aidans and never got an email for accommodation preferences. But i’ve just received an email saying I have a “catered twin standard room”. I’m assuming this means shared but the licence fee is £8610, which is the cost of a single ensuite room, so i’m very confused. Does anyone know what type of accommodation I have? Thanks!

How many weeks is the licence for? The 8610 charge for an ensuite is for a 30 week licence which would be the one moving out for both Christmas and Easter holidays I believe, I’m not sure these licences are that common anymore, standard seems to be 39 weeks in Durham as far as I’m aware. From my calculations this charge and accommodation type would also match up with a 39 week licence, shared room, with shared bathrooms. Standard tends to mean non ensuite and shared tends to mean a room between two people. I’m not from Aidan’s so this may not be 100% accurate but I hope it may bring a bit of clarity and if you are still unsure/concerned I would say to contact the Aidan’s accommodation team tomorrow.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
How many weeks is the licence for? The 8610 charge for an ensuite is for a 30 week licence which would be the one moving out for both Christmas and Easter holidays I believe, I’m not sure these licences are that common anymore, standard seems to be 39 weeks in Durham as far as I’m aware. From my calculations this charge and accommodation type would also match up with a 39 week licence, shared room, with shared bathrooms. Standard tends to mean non ensuite and shared tends to mean a room between two people. I’m not from Aidan’s so this may not be 100% accurate but I hope it may bring a bit of clarity and if you are still unsure/concerned I would say to contact the Aidan’s accommodation team tomorrow.

Thanks so much! They didn’t say how many weeks but the 39 weeks minus the shared room price adds up to £8610 so that makes sense, wasn’t sure what the standard number of weeks was, so thanks for helping!

Hi!

I am in the exact same situation!! (With reallocation to Aidan’s, and being given the same twin room licence without a preferences email). I think your question has already been answered now, but I think it’s the 39 weeks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by b.mandelbrot
Hi!

I am in the exact same situation!! (With reallocation to Aidan’s, and being given the same twin room licence without a preferences email). I think your question has already been answered now, but I think it’s the 39 weeks :smile:

Yeah thanks! Figured it out in the end, still a bit weird there was no preference form or anything? 🤔
Reply 5
Hi, has anyone else received emails from St Aidan’s about their room type, moving in date & time slots yet? My son still hasn’t heard from them since confirmation of the college allocation.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Superkatla
Hi, has anyone else received emails from St Aidan’s about their room type, moving in date & time slots yet? My son still hasn’t heard from them since confirmation of the college allocation.

Hiya

A lot of people have heard today so they have started sending out emails. Maybe your son will hear tomorrow but I would suggest waiting till Tuesday and if he still hasn't heard, then ring the college and ask for an update :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

A lot of people have heard today so they have started sending out emails. Maybe your son will hear tomorrow but I would suggest waiting till Tuesday and if he still hasn't heard, then ring the college and ask for an update :smile:

-Himieka

Thank you Himieka.

My son has received emails from St Aidan’s this afternoon. He’s been allocated a standard twin room. Will the college send a questionnaire out for him to complete, listing his interests, hobbies, habits etc?
Hope it will work well for him.
Original post by Superkatla
Thank you Himieka.

My son has received emails from St Aidan’s this afternoon. He’s been allocated a standard twin room. Will the college send a questionnaire out for him to complete, listing his interests, hobbies, habits etc?
Hope it will work well for him.

Hiya

Yes that's correct, he should receive that email from the college soon. Good luck to you both and I'm always happy to help so feel free to ask any questions :smile:

-Himieka
Hello
According to the email St Aidan sent out, there’s a formal welcome dinner on 26th Sept. The dress code is Smart Casual. Can anyone tell me does that mean you have to wear a suit ? Or just a shirt and smart trousers will do ?
Reply 10
Hello
According to the email St Aidan sent out, there’s a formal welcome dinner on 26th Sept. The dress code is Smart Casual. Can anyone tell me does that mean you have to wear a suit ? Or just a shirt and smart trousers will do ?

"Smart casual" would mean not a suit; shirt and trousers fine. Formal would mean a suit and "black tie" would mean dinner jacket / tuxedo.
Original post by Edna C
"Smart casual" would mean not a suit; shirt and trousers fine. Formal would mean a suit and "black tie" would mean dinner jacket / tuxedo.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest