The Student Room Group

Oxford colleges for maths

Hi guys,

I am applying for maths at Oxford and have been researching on the Oxford colleges because I really do not want to apply for an open application. So far, I have decided on Keble, St. Catherines and St. Annes, mostly because I like their architecture and accommodation.

Do any of you know anything about Keble, St. Catherines and St. Annes college that could help me decide on which one to choose?
Original post by gnwolx_07
Hi guys,

I am applying for maths at Oxford and have been researching on the Oxford colleges because I really do not want to apply for an open application. So far, I have decided on Keble, St. Catherines and St. Annes, mostly because I like their architecture and accommodation.

Do any of you know anything about Keble, St. Catherines and St. Annes college that could help me decide on which one to choose?

Think about things like the rough location of the colleges, the sizes of each college etc and maybe try using the college suggester to see if any one of those three colleges meets more of the requirements you have in mind than the other two: http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi guys,

St Anne's is near the Maths Insitute but the accommodation is in a brutalist building which can be noisy as rooms on one side are near a main road.
Hi guys,

St Catherine's is the largest undergraduate college, so if you want to avoid studying at a tiny college, it's a good choice. It's also probably the most progressive, so you don't have to deal with the stereotypical Oxford elitism. You're guaranteed accommodation for all three years, and the facilities are pretty good. The JCR is one of the best, in my opinion, and it feels much more like a bar than a dusty basement (which is pretty common for other colleges).

As for the cons, most people think it's really ugly, and it's a lot less central than other colleges. Oxford is still very compact, but it is a bit out of the way. We do have two college dogs though, and they're really cute, so I think it balances out.
Reply 4
Hi guys,

They each take a reasonable number of maths students, with Keble and St Catz also being big on computer science. Looking at the numbers

https://public.tableau.com/views/UniversityofOxford-CollegeSuccessRates2022/CollegeSuccessRates?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no

St Catz seem smaller on the maths side, and they're also farther away from the department.

Each of Keble and Anne's seem to offer three years accommodation.
Reply 5
Consider your priorities - whether it's architectural aesthetics, academic focus, or social atmosphere, to make the best choice for your Oxford experience. All three colleges offer a world-class education, so you can't go wrong with any of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending