The Student Room Group

Economics at Durham/Bristol

My son applied for Durham and Bristol University in 2023 to do Economics, but didn't get an offer from either. He got A*AA (Maths, Further Maths, Economics) and was predicted higher. He is thinking about applying again for 2024. If you started Economics this year (2023) at either Durham or Bristol, what grades did you get? My son wants to have an idea of whether it is worth re-applying. Thank you
Original post by Holland!
My son applied for Durham and Bristol University in 2023 to do Economics, but didn't get an offer from either. He got A*AA (Maths, Further Maths, Economics) and was predicted higher. He is thinking about applying again for 2024. If you started Economics this year (2023) at either Durham or Bristol, what grades did you get? My son wants to have an idea of whether it is worth re-applying. Thank you

You might want to take a look at the data in UniGuide. It uses information from HESA (the Higher Education Statistics Agency) to show statistics about "Who studies this subject and how do they get on?". They say here that their HESA data was "Last updated: April 2022".

For BA (Hons) Economics at Durham they say, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) | Mathematics A, Economics A, Physics A" (source).

For BSc (Hons) Economics at Bristol they say, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) | Mathematics A, Economics A, Physics A" (source).

However, you have to ask yourself if he was predicted higher that A*AA, i.e. higher then the required grades, then perhaps there is some other reason he did not receive an offer. GCSEs? Personal Statement? Academic Reference?
what they said ^

Bold move only applying to 2 Unis when Economics is so competitive and UCAS allows 5

If you meet the criteria its always worth reapplying. Got to be worth looking at others, like Warwick et al as well, if you haven't already?
Reply 3
Thanks. I should have been clearer. He applied to 5 unis initially, Warwick too (no offer) and didn't get many offers generally
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
You might want to take a look at the data in UniGuide. It uses information from HESA (the Higher Education Statistics Agency) to show statistics about "Who studies this subject and how do they get on?". They say here that their HESA data was "Last updated: April 2022".

For BA (Hons) Economics at Durham they say, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) | Mathematics A, Economics A, Physics A" (source).

For BSc (Hons) Economics at Bristol they say, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) | Mathematics A, Economics A, Physics A" (source).

However, you have to ask yourself if he was predicted higher that A*AA, i.e. higher then the required grades, then perhaps there is some other reason he did not receive an offer. GCSEs? Personal Statement? Academic Reference?

Thank you. I will look at the HESA data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending