The Student Room Group

GCSEs and Depression

A very unpleasant situation happened to me this year and I need some advice.
I moved from another country at the end of Year 10 to the UK and missed most of the year. I had to catch up with the stuff myself, which was difficult as I also did it in my 3rd language. At the end of year 11 I was able to get quite good predicted grades such as three 9s, three 8s and two 7s, also getting the dream sixth form offer.
However, I put a lot of stress on myself and there were also some bad life circumstances and two weeks before the exams I was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety.
Everything is so bad that it's hard to keep myself alive, I don't sleep, I don't eat and it's hard to find meaning again. The treatment will be prescribed in just a week and it will improve my condition in an even longer period of time that I will at least be able to take care of myself. I am not sure if I will be able to sit the exams because I am drained and cannot engage in the everyday life - my memory is very affected along with concentration. What are my possible options? Will it be possible to sit through year 11 in college with fewer subjects? And how much will it cost?
Thank you for the advice.
Reply 1
Hi. I had a very similar experience to you, and I can relate so much to you. I also moved from another country to the Uk, then moved to another country, then back to Uk, so you can imagine the time waste. I also had to catch up on tons of content and at times I lost all hopes. I don't know if I am medically depressed or anxious, but I know my mental state is not the best. I just turned 18 2 days ago, and to be honest, having to sit my GCSEs at this age as a result of constant moving countries is unpleasant. So please know you are not alone. I am aware that it might be harder for us, but I advise myself and you to believe in ourselves, and never lose hope. Your predicted grades are similar to mine, and they are amazing! So keep pushing through, it's not very long left and afterwards we'll have the best summer of our lifes. And please don't ignore your health, it will really make a big difference in your mental state and way more important than these grades. Try and set the gcses this year and not delaying them, because the cycle of tension will come everytime and it is normal, so I think there is no point in stopping now. I am not sure if you can do A-levels and Gcses at the same time, but I also don't think its a nice option as I would rather focus on one thing at a time. Think about your dream sixth form, and how nice it will be when you reach there, picture that moment, lock it up in your mind, and keep pushing. I might not know you, but I really believe in you. Good luck and i wish myself, you and everyone else amazing grades!
Original post by daughterofthesun
A very unpleasant situation happened to me this year and I need some advice.
I moved from another country at the end of Year 10 to the UK and missed most of the year. I had to catch up with the stuff myself, which was difficult as I also did it in my 3rd language. At the end of year 11 I was able to get quite good predicted grades such as three 9s, three 8s and two 7s, also getting the dream sixth form offer.
However, I put a lot of stress on myself and there were also some bad life circumstances and two weeks before the exams I was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety.
Everything is so bad that it's hard to keep myself alive, I don't sleep, I don't eat and it's hard to find meaning again. The treatment will be prescribed in just a week and it will improve my condition in an even longer period of time that I will at least be able to take care of myself. I am not sure if I will be able to sit the exams because I am drained and cannot engage in the everyday life - my memory is very affected along with concentration. What are my possible options? Will it be possible to sit through year 11 in college with fewer subjects? And how much will it cost?
Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest