The Student Room Group

Applying to Vacation Scheme/TC's with a first class degree but okay alevels

I recently graduated from a russel group university with a first class law degree. I'm applying for training contracts/some vacation schemes at some law firms. The applications require me to enter some grades from University that aren't the best and my a-levels weren't outstanding due to covid cancelling them. I wanted to ask if those things will matter to recruiters even though I ultimately got a 1st class?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by goodstudent02
I recently graduated from a russel group university with a first class law degree. I'm applying for training contracts/some vacation schemes at some law firms. The applications require me to enter some grades from University that aren't the best and my a-levels weren't outstanding due to covid cancelling them. I wanted to ask if those things will matter to recruiters even though I ultimately got a 1st class?

Hi there,

First of, congratulations on your first, it is not an easy mark to achieve. Most applications will require you to break down your grades, now ultimately you got a first, which means that your grades can't be that bad. Now, it should not substantially impact your application, that being said, it depends on which courses those 'not the best grades' are on and the areas of focus of the firms you apply to. Overall, you should be fine as you ended up with a first.

As for your A-levels, you can explain your mitigating circumstances. Be succinct and factual about what happened, law firms do consider mitigating circumstances such as Covid. Also, what do you mean by not outstanding, everything will hinge on the minimum grade requirement your firm has. Additionally, if you apply to firms that don't have a minimum requirement grade for A-levels, you will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by goodstudent02

Hey!

Congratulations on achieving a 1st on your undergrad!! What I could also say is that it is very important to show an interest into the law firm. A great way in which you could do that is by finding a practice area from a firm that really interests you such as M&A or Intellectual Property. Another great way is to network with solicitors from that law firm. The Commercial Law Academy has great courses on M&A if you want to discover a specific practice area and on networking to help you build the skills necessary to interact with solicitors from a specific firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending