The Student Room Group

HELP! Need A-level advice

I just started year 12. I'm doing maths, biology, psychology and economics. I went to my first few classes ( I haven't been to maths yet) and I am really loving them but I hate my economics class. I did gcse economics so at the moment I recognise what we're taught in class. I found the class incredibly boring however I feel as though it might not just be the content but also the teacher and the fact that I hate my seat and that the class only has guys in and one girl apart from me. I got all 7s-9s in GCSEs and economics was one of my worst ones. The reason I picked it was because I was planning on going into accounting/finance/maths/economics itself at uni since medicine isn't exactly an option for me anymore as you need chemistry for most universities(I don't want to be extremely restricted when applying for uni) and to be honest I would rather not work in a hospital. I need to do 4 alevels right now incase I end up not doing too well later on in the year in biology or psychology for example. What should I do? Should I suck it up and continue with economics alevel? Or should I drop it and pick up another subject? If I was to drop it I would pick history or English lit. since these were my best subjects in GCSEs and I do miss them. However I am unsure about what that would mean for my career. If I had a different economics class and a different teacher I feel as though I might like it more but unfortunately there is no way to switch classes. If you suggest continuing economics, please give me advice on what I should/could do to make the class more bearable for me. The guys in my class are horrible and the one other girl doesn't seem to be the friendliest, I pretty much know we won't get along very well. Also the teacher is extremely strict and I don't love the way she teaches, she just talks and tells us to write stuff down (I know this is what happens in all classes but in this class it doesn't seem very engaging since the class is so dull). I don't have a textbook yet either(is a revision guide or textbook more useful??). Plus the guy I currently sit with in my class doesn't talk to me since he only talks to his friends on the other side. I don't know him and there's noone on the other side of me. Lastly, if there are any alevel economics tips, I truly would appreciate them. Like how should I revise for it? I personally prefer not to do flashcards since I always end up cramming too much info on them... and I get super lazy and I find it too hard to find a specific piece of information I'm looking for.

Thank you so much for your help, it is highly appreciated!!!!
Original post by distressing-arch
I just started year 12. I'm doing maths, biology, psychology and economics. I went to my first few classes ( I haven't been to maths yet) and I am really loving them but I hate my economics class. I did gcse economics so at the moment I recognise what we're taught in class. I found the class incredibly boring however I feel as though it might not just be the content but also the teacher and the fact that I hate my seat and that the class only has guys in and one girl apart from me. I got all 7s-9s in GCSEs and economics was one of my worst ones. The reason I picked it was because I was planning on going into accounting/finance/maths/economics itself at uni since medicine isn't exactly an option for me anymore as you need chemistry for most universities(I don't want to be extremely restricted when applying for uni) and to be honest I would rather not work in a hospital. I need to do 4 alevels right now incase I end up not doing too well later on in the year in biology or psychology for example. What should I do? Should I suck it up and continue with economics alevel? Or should I drop it and pick up another subject? If I was to drop it I would pick history or English lit. since these were my best subjects in GCSEs and I do miss them. However I am unsure about what that would mean for my career. If I had a different economics class and a different teacher I feel as though I might like it more but unfortunately there is no way to switch classes. If you suggest continuing economics, please give me advice on what I should/could do to make the class more bearable for me. The guys in my class are horrible and the one other girl doesn't seem to be the friendliest, I pretty much know we won't get along very well. Also the teacher is extremely strict and I don't love the way she teaches, she just talks and tells us to write stuff down (I know this is what happens in all classes but in this class it doesn't seem very engaging since the class is so dull). I don't have a textbook yet either(is a revision guide or textbook more useful??). Plus the guy I currently sit with in my class doesn't talk to me since he only talks to his friends on the other side. I don't know him and there's noone on the other side of me. Lastly, if there are any alevel economics tips, I truly would appreciate them. Like how should I revise for it? I personally prefer not to do flashcards since I always end up cramming too much info on them... and I get super lazy and I find it too hard to find a specific piece of information I'm looking for.

Thank you so much for your help, it is highly appreciated!!!!

I was in a bit of a similar situation to you. Basically I picked chemistry first and didnt really enjoy it so I went out to trial an economics class. I hated it so much, the content was dreadful, the teaching was dull and the students were so annoying. My alarm went off in class and my god they made such a big deal about it, laughing and saying something about it every 5 seconds. The teacher literally gave us no work other than copying stuff down as you said. I ended up dropping it and going back to chemistry bc I just realised that it wasnt for me.

However as college has just started, allow yourself to attend a couple more lessons as opposed to making rash decisions because you may regret dropping it in the future. I'm really surprised switching classes isnt allowed at your college? Do you not have a head of hall or anyone you could speak to as they would probably provide you with the best advice and stuff regarding the situation youre in. Also are you not able to trial out another subject e.g english lit/history as well as going to your economics class? Yes your timetable will be quiet full but I think that is the best way to make a decision.

Also advice on how to make classes more bearable is kind of difficult as it just depends on the type of person you are. If you are more confident then maybe just make yourself known by slowly speaking to people, adding your input into things etc. I'm sure there is at least one sane person in that class, youll just have to really search for them. If you're less confident like me then honestly just stay quiet and stuff. This is totally ok, I did this for my chemistry class and it was good for me because I could really focus on my work. People do usually have one class where theyre more quiet and for me it was chem because like you I really did enjoy my bio and psych classes.

My best revision tip would be using exam questions, of course not at this stage but when you get more in depth into the course they really are the best technique.

But yh overall I would say give it a week or 2, speak to a member of faculty about your options and then go from there. If you really do dislike economics after that then please pick another subject and dont torture yourself. Hope this helps!
Original post by dadadeedadada
I was in a bit of a similar situation to you. Basically I picked chemistry first and didnt really enjoy it so I went out to trial an economics class. I hated it so much, the content was dreadful, the teaching was dull and the students were so annoying. My alarm went off in class and my god they made such a big deal about it, laughing and saying something about it every 5 seconds. The teacher literally gave us no work other than copying stuff down as you said. I ended up dropping it and going back to chemistry bc I just realised that it wasnt for me.

However as college has just started, allow yourself to attend a couple more lessons as opposed to making rash decisions because you may regret dropping it in the future. I'm really surprised switching classes isnt allowed at your college? Do you not have a head of hall or anyone you could speak to as they would probably provide you with the best advice and stuff regarding the situation youre in. Also are you not able to trial out another subject e.g english lit/history as well as going to your economics class? Yes your timetable will be quiet full but I think that is the best way to make a decision.

Also advice on how to make classes more bearable is kind of difficult as it just depends on the type of person you are. If you are more confident then maybe just make yourself known by slowly speaking to people, adding your input into things etc. I'm sure there is at least one sane person in that class, youll just have to really search for them. If you're less confident like me then honestly just stay quiet and stuff. This is totally ok, I did this for my chemistry class and it was good for me because I could really focus on my work. People do usually have one class where theyre more quiet and for me it was chem because like you I really did enjoy my bio and psych classes.

My best revision tip would be using exam questions, of course not at this stage but when you get more in depth into the course they really are the best technique.

But yh overall I would say give it a week or 2, speak to a member of faculty about your options and then go from there. If you really do dislike economics after that then please pick another subject and dont torture yourself. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! This actually helps me so much. I have decided to continue with economics (at least for now), especially since I will have another teacher for one or two lessons a fortnight. I completely understand what you mean about being quiet and just focusing on your work since I feel like that was the reason I did so well in history and English lit GCSE since most people those classes I either didn't know or simply wasn't friends with. I am also less confident and I suppose it's good that the teachers in economics push me out of my comfort zone when they pick on random people or expect you to start debating a random point before they continue waffling about what's on the board. Economics isn't that popular at my college so if I was to switch into a different class it would unfortunately mean messing up my other options, which I don't particularly want to do. If it truly is unbearable after about 2 weeks then I definitely will speak to someone about changing my options. Hopefully it does get better and hopefully I am able to understand maths tomorrow or I really might have to rethink my options and career path.

I would definitely be open to trialling history/English lit but I think I will only do that if I need to change my options after I've settled in, especially since I'm so overwhelmed with the workload right now (I'm assuming it'll only get worse) but I should be able to manage it when I've gotten used to it.

Again thank you!
Original post by distressing-arch
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! This actually helps me so much. I have decided to continue with economics (at least for now), especially since I will have another teacher for one or two lessons a fortnight. I completely understand what you mean about being quiet and just focusing on your work since I feel like that was the reason I did so well in history and English lit GCSE since most people those classes I either didn't know or simply wasn't friends with. I am also less confident and I suppose it's good that the teachers in economics push me out of my comfort zone when they pick on random people or expect you to start debating a random point before they continue waffling about what's on the board. Economics isn't that popular at my college so if I was to switch into a different class it would unfortunately mean messing up my other options, which I don't particularly want to do. If it truly is unbearable after about 2 weeks then I definitely will speak to someone about changing my options. Hopefully it does get better and hopefully I am able to understand maths tomorrow or I really might have to rethink my options and career path.

I would definitely be open to trialling history/English lit but I think I will only do that if I need to change my options after I've settled in, especially since I'm so overwhelmed with the workload right now (I'm assuming it'll only get worse) but I should be able to manage it when I've gotten used to it.

Again thank you!

Thats awesome!! Take care of yourself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest