The Student Room Group

Can I take A level exam without taking AS level exam (Maths)

Hi,

I've been considering taking the A level Maths exam next season (2025) and have been wondering if it would be possible to only take (for example) the Edexcel A level papers while still acquiring the A level qualification.

I know that A level maths is composed of 4 papers but I've also been told that for some A levels taking the AS papers is not required for the final grade.

I know that the AS content is crucial to understanding the content at A level, I'm just unsure about the exam. If I do need to take both AS and A, I'd take all four papers in the same season.

Also what happens to the final grade if the performance is lower in the AS paper than the A level paper?

If anyone would know the answer or have any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

(Edit: I just wanted to clarify that I'd be doing this as a private candidate and studying at home)
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Edexcel A level maths taken in England would be 3 A level exams, 2 are Pure Maths the third exam is comprised of a mechanics and a statistics section (you do both at the same time) that you'll find as separate papers on past paper web sites. You have to learn the Year 1 / AS content, it will be tested, but you don't take the AS exams, they are a separate, optional qualification.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by TimmothyCutter
Hi,

I've been considering taking the A level Maths exam next season (2025) and have been wondering if it would be possible to only take (for example) the Edexcel A level papers while still acquiring the A level qualification.

I know that A level maths is composed of 4 papers but I've also been told that for some A levels taking the AS papers is not required for the final grade.

I know that the AS content is crucial to understanding the content at A level, I'm just unsure about the exam. If I do need to take both AS and A, I'd take all four papers in the same season.

Also what happens to the final grade if the performance is lower in the AS paper than the A level paper?

If anyone would know the answer or have any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

(Edit: I just wanted to clarify that I'd be doing this as a private candidate and studying at home)

Yes, you don't need to sit the AS papers. The A-Level Maths qualification consists of Pure 1, Pure 2 and Statistics & Mechanics. 🙂
Hi guys, thank you so much for replying this has helped tremendously!
Hey, I'm also thinking of taking A-level maths as a private candidate for 2025 exams. I will also be applying to university around october time 2024. Are you doing your A-level with a private tutor or company? Do you have any idea how you can get predicted grades for UCAS application?

Quick Reply

Latest