The Student Room Group

Where to get signatory for penalty charge

Hi I got a letter from the council and it’s been escalated to 195£.
But they’re saying that if i want to make a statutory declaration I have to get it signed by a county court or solicitor or smth. Where can I find something like this?
Reply 1
What does a statutory declaration have to do with your letter?

It seems there are a few kinds of people who can make a statutory declaration, but these are basically all legal type people:

https://waferphillipssolicitors.co.uk/who-can-sign-a-statutory-declaration/

In short, a solicitor. To find one, google.

In my experience solicitors would generally charge you £195 if you just asked them the time though, so I'm not sure if this might be altogether that worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I got a letter from the council and it’s been escalated to 195£.
But they’re saying that if i want to make a statutory declaration I have to get it signed by a county court or solicitor or smth. Where can I find something like this?

I needed to do this recently.

Phone a couple of local solicitors, and tell the person you speak to that you need to "swear a statutory declaration". Ask how much they charge.

If asked -- make it clear that you just need to swear it, you're not asking them to prepare a declaration for you to swear.

Arrange a time to turn up. You need the document with you, UNSIGNED. Take proof of identity.

There's some "repeat after me" words, and the you sign the document in front of the solicitor. They then countersign it.

The cost when I did it (which was in the last few weeks) was £5.00, payable in cash. (So take the payment, whatever it is, in actual cash.)

Edit: re-reading your initial question, it's not clear whether you have a form which you need to complete and then make a statutory declaration, or whether you're expected to draw up your own document first. What I've written above specifically related to a pre-printed form on which I had to add some specific information -- and then swear the declaration.)
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending