The Student Room Group

Will a score of 2510 get me into a dental school?

I sat my UCAT yesterday and scored 2510 with a band 1 in SJT. I wasn’t expecting to score particularly high because I did struggle a lot in my mocks but my aim was to get above 2600. Now I’m worried about which dental universities I can actually apply to as it seems that the majority have a cut off at the 2600 mark or above. My GCSE are 4 grade 7’s (maths and science), 3 grade 8’s and 1 grade 9. My predicted grades are AAA
Original post by Missdalasi
I sat my UCAT yesterday and scored 2510 with a band 1 in SJT. I wasn’t expecting to score particularly high because I did struggle a lot in my mocks but my aim was to get above 2600. Now I’m worried about which dental universities I can actually apply to as it seems that the majority have a cut off at the 2600 mark or above. My GCSE are 4 grade 7’s (maths and science), 3 grade 8’s and 1 grade 9. My predicted grades are AAA

Hey I know how you feel I got 2520 band 2 and I was expecting higher too. The QR let me down although in the practices I used to get 650+.:frown:
Reply 2
For me it was abstract and decision making that was a let down. I used to score around 700 whilst practising and got 650 for both on the actual day. I hope it all works out alright for
For me it was abstract and decision making that was a let down. I used to score around 700 whilst practising and got 650 for both on the actual day. I hope it all works out alright for

My AR was very good but DM was similar to medify. This exam is so tough I hope unis will not be too harsh. :frown:Where are you thinking to apply?
Reply 4
I made a list of unis, but icl there isn’t one where I fit the criteria fully I don’t think.
Cardiff is probably my 1st choice because they score SJT and I really want to take advantage of my band 1, but I hear they prefer welsh students.
Leeds is also an option, but since this is their first year requiring the UCAT they currently have no cut off point (though I am afraid this one could be risky simply because idk what UCAT score they’ll accept).
Liverpool has no UCAT cut off and asks for 8 GCSEs, but the issue is my 8th GCSE is a BTEC and Liverpool don’t accept vocational/ BTEC qualifications in the place of a GCSE.
Finally Plymouth was a consideration. They’re quite relaxed with GCSE’s requiring mainly 4s, but their UCAT cut off for applicants this year was 2650.
Birmingham could be an option for you if you have a grade 8 or higher in GCSEs science (biology).
And finally there are Scottish universities (like Dundee) that don’t take factor in the UCAT that much but again, they tend to prefer Scottish students and have higher requirements for non Scottish/ international students. Hope this was helpful
I made a list of unis, but icl there isn’t one where I fit the criteria fully I don’t think.
Cardiff is probably my 1st choice because they score SJT and I really want to take advantage of my band 1, but I hear they prefer welsh students.
Leeds is also an option, but since this is their first year requiring the UCAT they currently have no cut off point (though I am afraid this one could be risky simply because idk what UCAT score they’ll accept).
Liverpool has no UCAT cut off and asks for 8 GCSEs, but the issue is my 8th GCSE is a BTEC and Liverpool don’t accept vocational/ BTEC qualifications in the place of a GCSE.
Finally Plymouth was a consideration. They’re quite relaxed with GCSE’s requiring mainly 4s, but their UCAT cut off for applicants this year was 2650.
Birmingham could be an option for you if you have a grade 8 or higher in GCSEs science (biology).
And finally there are Scottish universities (like Dundee) that don’t take factor in the UCAT that much but again, they tend to prefer Scottish students and have higher requirements for non Scottish/ international students. Hope this was helpful

Thank you so much for suggesting these options!:smile:
I think Cardiff is a good shot. However do you think for me it will be risky with my band 2 in SJT?
Liverpool is a good option but I think their post interview offer ratio is not great it like 20 % which is very low. Leeds shouldn't be that risky for first year using the ucat we will see how they will score it in the application. Birmingham is a risky option their cutoff was around 2690 last year. Dundee is a good option and I don't think the ucat cutoff for RUK will be that high compared to other unis.
I would avoid london unis, manchester, bristol, newcastle and sheffield they all have high ucat cutoffs and we need at least 2650+ to get an interview.
(edited 7 months ago)
Just found the freedom of info for birmingham ucat cutoff. Attaching the link below. It was 2700 this year.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/bds_admission_statistics_2025#incoming-2164079
Reply 7
Original post by Greekdentist
I think Cardiff is a good shot. However do you think for me it will be risky with my band 2 in SJT?
Liverpool is a good option but I think their post interview offer ratio is not great it like 20 % which is very low. Leeds shouldn't be that risky for first year using the ucat we will see how they will score it in the application. Birmingham is a risky option their cutoff was around 2690 last year. Dundee is a good option and I don't think the ucat cutoff for RUK will be that high compared to other unis.
I would avoid london unis, manchester, bristol, newcastle and sheffield they all have high ucat cutoffs and we need at least 2650+ to get an interview.

No don’t worry about your band 2 in SJT, it’s still a good band. Yes I’ve crossed off King’s college London and Queen Mary’s Barts. Even though neither of them have a high UCAT cut off, they’re still notorious for accepting high UCAT applicants. My 4 would be Cardiff, Dundee, Leeds and I’d probably take a chance on Plymouth (they have a history of accepting lower UCATs, even though their 2023 cut off was quite high)
Reply 8

Oh also Queen Uinversity Belfast is another one to consider !
(edited 7 months ago)
No don’t worry about your band 2 in SJT, it’s still a good band. Yes I’ve crossed off King’s college London and Queen Mary’s Barts. Even though neither of them have a high UCAT cut off, they’re still notorious for accepting high UCAT applicants. My 4 would be Cardiff, Dundee, Leeds and I’d probably take a chance on Plymouth (they have a history of accepting lower UCATs, even though their 2023 cut off was quite high)

Nice choices mate! Thanks for your reassurance for cardiff i do hope they will be a bit flexible with the band and accept band 2s too:redface:
Plymouth I would say is a bit risky because of their new high ucat cutoff which they have predefined. Maybe you can apply to queen belfast. I cannot apply because unfortunately they have a limit in the number of attempts you can apply to them (3 overall) and this will be my 6th time lol.:tongue: However I know a friend who got into belfast with 2500 so you should be fine and they don't look at the sjt band.
Reply 10
Nice choices mate! Thanks for your reassurance for cardiff i do hope they will be a bit flexible with the band and accept band 2s too:redface:
Plymouth I would say is a bit risky because of their new high ucat cutoff which they have predefined. Maybe you can apply to queen belfast. I cannot apply because unfortunately they have a limit in the number of attempts you can apply to them (3 overall) and this will be my 6th time lol.:tongue: However I know a friend who got into belfast with 2500 so you should be fine and they don't look at the sjt band.

I left out queen because I checked their website and use a points system based off of your GCSEs and UCAT score. 2500-2699 would get you 3 points. A grade 9 would get you 4 points. A grade 7/8 is 3 points, and any BTEC grades that are equivalent to a grace 7/8 would be a 1.5 point. In total, my points add up to 27.5 and the minimum number of points they allowed applicants in with last year was 33, so I’ve missed the mark. I would recommend queens for anyone who’s gotten lots of grade 9’s at gcse, but I only got one.
Reply 11
HI ALL
Does plymouth apply the UCAT cutoff to widening participantaion WP applicants as well as those without the WP flag.

Quick Reply

Latest