The Student Room Group

Graduate dentistry

Hi all, I am planning on studying dentistry postgrad and was just wondering which unis do this?
I am hoping to do either biomedical sciences or dental hygiene and therapy as a undergrad degree and I am currently in y13
I am looking for a uni that dosent look at alevel or gcse grades
I know that kings do dentistry postgrad but was just wondering if there are any other options as it can be very competitive
Also if anyone else knows if there are any unis where I can do dentistry as a mature student where they dont look at alevel grades please do let me know
Original post by z1469288
Hi all, I am planning on studying dentistry postgrad and was just wondering which unis do this?
I am hoping to do either biomedical sciences or dental hygiene and therapy as a undergrad degree and I am currently in y13
I know that kings do dentistry postgrad but was just wondering if there are any other options as it can be very competitive
Also if anyone else knows if there are any unis where I can do dentistry as a mature student where they dont look at alevel grades please do let me know
Hi, once you do a degree in biomedical sciences and apply for the normal 5 year course, they usually ask for a degree of 2:1 and do not look at your a levels. You can do the same when applying to 4 year grad entry courses like at UCLAN and Kings but these courses are very competitive. All dental universities accept mature student.

At QMUL, if you do a bioscience course, you can apply for the guaranteed interview where the applicants are ranked based on their current uni grades and UCAT and the top 7 get an interview for the dentistry course at QM (that's how I got in)

I hope this helped!
Original post by z1469288
Here's a youtube video on the 3 different pathways into dentistry as a graduate which might help you in a bit more detail.
hi yes you’d be applying for grad entry dentistry not postgrad (masters/phd) as mentioned aberdeen uclan and kings do the accelerated 4 year course. leeds also do their own grad entry course if you do dental therapy there. look at the dental schools council 2024 entry pdf and it’ll give you an idea

honestly i would give a few pieces of advice! its honestly better to do a year out and reapply then go straight into a degree graduate dentistry is ridiculously competing with only 69/1100 dental places being for grads. each school has around 300+ students applying too and there’s a bigger emphasis on ucat scores. if you’re able to apply for undergraduate (5 year course) i would recommend that

if you’ve got your heart set on grad entry dentistry you need to do a degree that you enjoy and will provide job/opportunity. if you can see yourself being a biomedical scientist or in that field do it. i would personally recommend doing dental therapy/technology/any dental role you can do as an undergrad. it’ll help you confirm if being a dentist is what you want to do and also gives you experience/understanding about dentistry.

i have an undergrad and masters in dentistry and about to start bds in september. i really believe this helped me confirm and also stand out.

also wondering why you’re keen on grad entry over a foundation dental degree (6 years) they don’t rlly look at a levels as much as the 5 year programme
Original post by applesandalevels
hi yes you’d be applying for grad entry dentistry not postgrad (masters/phd) as mentioned aberdeen uclan and kings do the accelerated 4 year course. leeds also do their own grad entry course if you do dental therapy there. look at the dental schools council 2024 entry pdf and it’ll give you an idea
honestly i would give a few pieces of advice! its honestly better to do a year out and reapply then go straight into a degree graduate dentistry is ridiculously competing with only 69/1100 dental places being for grads. each school has around 300+ students applying too and there’s a bigger emphasis on ucat scores. if you’re able to apply for undergraduate (5 year course) i would recommend that
if you’ve got your heart set on grad entry dentistry you need to do a degree that you enjoy and will provide job/opportunity. if you can see yourself being a biomedical scientist or in that field do it. i would personally recommend doing dental therapy/technology/any dental role you can do as an undergrad. it’ll help you confirm if being a dentist is what you want to do and also gives you experience/understanding about dentistry.
i have an undergrad and masters in dentistry and about to start bds in september. i really believe this helped me confirm and also stand out.
also wondering why you’re keen on grad entry over a foundation dental degree (6 years) they don’t rlly look at a levels as much as the 5 year programme

what work experience did u do to get into the bds course. im struggling to find any.
Original post by mary-anna
what work experience did u do to get into the bds course. im struggling to find any.

context dental labs, dentists just keep emailing/calling someone will come through! but take it from me do undergrad your chances of getting in are much higher!

Quick Reply

Latest