The Student Room Group

Transferring from Dental Therapy and Hygiene to BDS Dentistry

Can anyone let me know if it’s possible/any universities which allow you to start ‘Dental Therapy and Hygiene’ and allow you transfer and switch over to ‘BDS Dentistry’ if you are performing really well? Is the UCAT Score needed when transferring over to ‘BDS Dentistry’?
Does it make it easier if you transferring from ‘Dental Therapy and Hygiene’ within the dental school of the university you are studying at as well?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ks17
Can anyone let me know if it’s possible/any universities which allow you to start ‘Dental Therapy and Hygiene’ and allow you transfer and switch over to ‘BDS Dentistry’ if you are performing really well? Is the UCAT Score needed when transferring over to ‘BDS Dentistry’?
Does it make it easier if you transferring from ‘Dental Therapy and Hygiene’ within the dental school of the university you are studying at as well?

As far as I know, there are currently 3 ways:

1. Get a 2:1 in DTH at Leeds uni + interview, then start 2nd year of BDS (UCAT isn't required).
2. Newcastle uni: score 75% or more in 1st year DTH or biomed + high UCAT + interview.
3. Liverpool: complete DTH and go straight into 4th year of BDS. You should meet certain university criteria to apply for BDS.

These are internal routes and you will need to be studying at these universities to be eligible to apply for BDS.
All these routes are highly competitive and the maximum number of students they can take is 2 per year, although this is not guaranteed.

There is also no guarantee of Student Finance funding. You will need to speak to them to find out.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Mari_20
As far as I know, there are currently 3 ways:
1. Get a 2:1 in DTH at Leeds uni + interview, then start 2nd year of BDS (UCAT isn't required).
2. Newcastle uni: score 75% or more in 1st year DTH or biomed + high UCAT + interview.
3. Liverpool: complete DTH and go straight into 4th year of BDS. You should meet certain university criteria to apply for BDS.
These are internal routes and you will need to be studying at these universities to be eligible to apply for BDS.
All these routes are highly competitive and the maximum number of students they can take is 2 per year, although this is not guaranteed.
There is also no guarantee of Student Finance funding. You will need to speak to them to find out.

is there no transfer years at leeds? do u have to complete the 3 year DTH course to get into BDS?

Quick Reply

Latest