The Student Room Group

can i make it to oxford?

right guys.

so, i achieved abb at as level (extenuating circumstances), will probably be predicted a*ab for alevel (lucky me for getting the dumbest mix of grades ever).
anyways, my situation has changed and i want to take a joint honours, with one of my hopefuls being oxford.
before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, let me explain.
i wanted to take a gap year for a long time, and so my backups have backups that i'd be fully onboard with still doing. its not that i'm not motivated to go to uni, but i want to be realistic and at the moment if i get into a uni of my choice (lse, kcl qmary's etc) thats amazing!! but if i don't, i also wouldn't be too torn up about it because i tried, i now know the system and i have other gap year options i'm considering.
i don't have the grades, i have only a month to prep for two entrance exams that apparently people have been revising for all summer, and i think my tutors are trying to subtly discourage me from going ahead (they don't really understand the full situation because if i explained it god forbid i would sound lazy and unmotivated.)
the only thing holding me back is that people have advised me revising for the exams now would possibly hold me back with my alevel work, something i don't want to do in the slightest because i have more than usual on my plate (too tired, don't ask).
i want to just say **** it and do it. my parents agree, and so do my friends. i don't want to take the place of someone who's genuinely dedicated every waking moment to oxbridge, but i also just want to see if i can do it.

let me know what you guys think
Original post by Anonymous
right guys.

so, i achieved abb at as level (extenuating circumstances), will probably be predicted a*ab for alevel (lucky me for getting the dumbest mix of grades ever).
anyways, my situation has changed and i want to take a joint honours, with one of my hopefuls being oxford.
before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, let me explain.
i wanted to take a gap year for a long time, and so my backups have backups that i'd be fully onboard with still doing. its not that i'm not motivated to go to uni, but i want to be realistic and at the moment if i get into a uni of my choice (lse, kcl qmary's etc) thats amazing!! but if i don't, i also wouldn't be too torn up about it because i tried, i now know the system and i have other gap year options i'm considering.
i don't have the grades, i have only a month to prep for two entrance exams that apparently people have been revising for all summer, and i think my tutors are trying to subtly discourage me from going ahead (they don't really understand the full situation because if i explained it god forbid i would sound lazy and unmotivated.)
the only thing holding me back is that people have advised me revising for the exams now would possibly hold me back with my alevel work, something i don't want to do in the slightest because i have more than usual on my plate (too tired, don't ask).
i want to just say **** it and do it. my parents agree, and so do my friends. i don't want to take the place of someone who's genuinely dedicated every waking moment to oxbridge, but i also just want to see if i can do it.

let me know what you guys think

Unless you're thinking of one of the Foundation Year courses (which you well might be), I don't know of any undergraduate degree course at Oxford which would accept A*AB. As a result, I'd have thought that obtaining an offer with A*AB predicted grades would be difficult. The full list of admission requirements for 2024 entry is here.
Is it possible to get into Oxbridge without the required grades? Yes. People have done it with EC.

Is it likely? No.
Reply 3
Anyone getting an offer will almost certainly have been predicted the necessary grades.
i hope Oxford accepts your application :smile:
keep up the good work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending