The Student Room Group

GCSE

Hi guys.
I was really sad and disturbed so I thought I could leave a msg here and see if I can feel better after someone answers me...
Basically In 2021 because of student relocation, as I moved from Italy instead of Year 11, I was put in Year 10 so that I was able to catch up and study for my GCSE when I was put in Year 10 I was 15, Covid was not completely gone yet as we had to stay home for like 2-3 weeks because someone in our class got Covid. This Year I was in Year 11 (16 years old) and did my GCSE When I got my results I was shocked because I did not expect those grades... I failed Maths, English, and All the Sciences and just passed 3 of my subjects which is not what I thought would happen... Maybe because I did not work hard and was overconfident :frown: I was one of the top students in my school when I was in Italy but after moving here to the UK, I don't regret it because I love the country and also because my parents wanted me to study here, but all I did was let down my parents :frown: They didn't expect that as well... maybe there were mistakes that I made and never realized...? My dream is to do medicine. I even chose to do A-level: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY. I was so excited to start Sixth Form even if I was 1 YEAR older than most of the students in my class, there were some that were 16 too but of them 15. But I couldn't get admission because I didn't have the required grades. Now that I'm 17 I will be re-sitting my GCSE this year with confidence in myself and will work hard I know that I can do it. But sometimes like now that I'm writing to you guys I feel sad cuz of my age I feel like I am behind everyone because will be starting Sixth Form when 18 and Uni when 20 omg that makes me feel s*** and demotivated for the whole day. Even if my School offered my RE SITS and a level 2 course, I rejected it because thats not what I wanted to do, It wasn't my plan, I didn't deserve it. So chose to RE-SIT my Gcse get really good grades then do my A levels and get into my dream Uni for medicine.
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT?
LET ME KNOW
THANKS
(edited 7 months ago)
Ive been put a year behind too! I know it really sucks at first but trust me it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I would have made all the wrong choices regarding a levels. And regarding the results u got I'll recommend a few YouTubers. I studied off these and never went to school(after COVID I was home schooled) and managed to get really good in math and eng.
For english- mreverythingenglish
For math - GCSEmathstutor
Trust me if u revise the videos in the playlists ur guaranteed an 9. And don't be upset everything happens for a reason.Hope this helps. Wish u luck. :suith:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by siocrystal
Ive been put a year behind too! I know it really sucks at first but trust me it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I would have made all the wrong choices regarding a levels. And regarding the results u got I'll recommend a few YouTubers. I studied off these and never went to school(after COVID I was home schooled) and managed to get really good in math and eng.
For english- mreverythingenglish
For math - GCSEmathstutor
Trust me if u revise the videos in the playlists ur guaranteed an 9. And don't be upset everything happens for a reason.Hope this helps. Wish u luck. :suith:

Aw, thank you very much!!! :suith::suith::suith:
So you studied at home as well? For how many years?
Can you please tell me how did u like managed it?
Were you not sad about being behind?
Did u study the whole day with just lunch and a break in school?
Did you have tutors or tuition?
If u dont mind what grades did u get?
My parents are so worried and they always tell me to get admission into a college so that I can go and revise as they can give me more help and support, tips and tricks, and that they will only know the new updates content is that true?
Thanks for the YouTuber advice Is Physics and maths tutor good too? Are there notes and papers updated and goo?
Any other tip let me know
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Aw, thank you very much!!! :suith::suith::suith:
So you studied at home as well? For how many years?
Can you please tell me how did u like managed it?
Were you not sad about being behind?
Did u study the whole day with just lunch and a break in school?
Did you have tutors or tuition?
If u dont mind what grades did u get?
My parents are so worried and they always tell me to get admission into a college so that I can go and revise as they can give me more help and support, tips and tricks, and that they will only know the new updates content is that true?
Thanks for the YouTuber advice Is Physics and maths tutor good too? Are there notes and papers updated and goo?
Any other tip let me know

ur welcome.
I studied at home for 2 years but if im going to be honest i just revised a few months before my GCSEs.
Whatever you do, dont leave ur studying to last minute or it'll stress u out ALOT (i made this mistake) if u do 2 vids everyday of math, from the gcsemathstutor playlist (i think it has 160 vids) not only will u have enough time to cover all the content, you'll have plenty of time to go over everything. Also after youve covered all the content do past papers.if u need help finding them, i can help u. For english i watched the videos over and over again until i finally understood. Then i would have a go at a GCSE question from previous past papers. Then i would type it up and edit it by using better vocab ect. After i would use grammerly (the free version) to find out spelling errors and grammatical errors and then post it on here and ask, in what ways i could improve. For english, make sure from now u start writing a story. I wrote a story and edited it like 10 times and posted it here multiple of times to get feedback on ways i could improve. Finally when i got good feedback and i myself was happy with the story, i memorized it for my exam. However in ur exam you might have to change or add a sentence or few to link it to the title ur given. Luckily mine matched the title. And yes i was really heart broken realizing i was a year behind everyone. I honestly felt really dumb but u just have to think positively ignoring everyone around u and just focus on urself.
3 hours a day is enough revision in my opinion.
No i didnt have any tutors, tuition, revision guides, books, revision cards ect.(youtube was the only thing i used for info and alongside that i just had a note book and few pens i'd use)
For math and eng i got 8s(2 marks off a 9 in eng)
The youtubers will mention and teach any new topics or updates if there are any so dont be too concerned about that.
I didnt use physics and math tutor so i wouldnt know if hes good but i heard hes good at teaching. for science i use sciencewithhazel.

Quick Reply

Latest