The Student Room Group

undergraduates

I just want to ask if it is fine to start applying to college (for undergraduates) after I finish my November mocks? Because I did badly in year 10 and I want to apply after my nov mocks so I can use that as my transcript, I’m currently 15 years old and very lost and feel hopeless
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Heyheyhe
I just want to ask if it is fine to start applying to college (for undergraduates) after I finish my November mocks? Because I did badly in year 10 and I want to apply after my nov mocks so I can use that as my transcript, I’m currently 15 years old and very lost and feel hopeless

Your question is confusing, because you use the term "undergraduates".

In the UK, the term "college" refers to the level of education between GCSEs and university. College students would typically study A levels, BTECs etc. The word "undergraduate" refers to degree-level study at university - i.e. after college.

Assuming you're talking about studying for A levels, BTECs etc. in Years 12 and 13, then applying after your mocks in November will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Your question is confusing, because you use the term "undergraduates".

In the UK, the term "college" refers to the level of education between GCSEs and university. College students would typically study A levels, BTECs etc. The word "undergraduate" refers to degree-level study at university - i.e. after college.

Assuming you're talking about studying for A levels, BTECs etc. in Years 12 and 13, then applying after your mocks in November will be fine.

Oh sorry, I’m just very dumb and new to these types of things, just thought undergraduates were like people who are 16-17 (which I’m turning 16 this month)
Original post by Heyheyhe
Oh sorry, I’m just very dumb and new to these types of things, just thought undergraduates were like people who are 16-17 (which I’m turning 16 this month)

No problem. :smile:

An undergraduate degree is a first degree - studied at university. Undergraduates are people studying for such a degree - i.e. for their first degree - at university. Once they have that degree, they're refered to as graduates.

Qualifications beyond that level are known as post-graduate qualifications, and those studying for those qualifications are known as post-graduates or post-grads.

Quick Reply

Latest