The Student Room Group

Switching to medicine

Hi there!
I just finished yr13 and I did Economics, Psychology and Maths. I was basically rejected from all the unis I had hoped of going to cause I didn't get the grades I needed. I'm essentially on a gap year now after not getting into any uni for 2023 entry.
I've always had a knack for medicine but my parents convinced me to go down the Econ/Finance route instead.
Does anyone know the possibility of me applying to medicine for 2024 entry? (Possibly in the UK or Aus)
Since I don't have chem, would I need to sit chem a-levels? Or could it be another qualification (i.e. non-alevel) of chemistry?
Or should I look into graduate entry med instead?

Thank you!! Feel free to pm me if you'd like to know more :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

Yes generally medicine normally requires Chemistry A level but I think there are some courses that allow you to go straight onto the medicine course after completing their foundation year. One University that springs to mind is Manchester. Nonetheless, it's very easy to research which universities offer that option.

The only problem is you have said that your grades weren't very good. Medicine has pretty high grade requirements of AAA minimum so if you haven't achieved that then there's really no point applying as you will get instantly rejected. Furthermore, there are also the admission tests that you have to sit THIS YEAR for 2024 entry (The UCAT or BMAT). Different Universities use different ones to assess applicants' suitability for the medicine course. The last available time to sit the UCAT is in about 2 weeks meaning you would only have about 2 weeks max to prepare (provided you started today). You can still register for the BMAT but that is a comparably more difficult exam that tests your ability in science and maths something you may struggle with if you haven't done the former since GCSE.

I'd generally advise against graduate entry medicine because that is even more competitive than the standard school leaver or gap year undergraduate route.

My advice if you really want to do medicine would be to take a gap year to properly prepare for the medicine application of 2024 for 2025 entry. Yes, this will mean going to University in 2025 but I'd say that's probably better than trying to rush the application now and getting 4 straight rejections which may damage your self-esteem and confidence.

All this pertains to UK universities but to my knowledge, Australian Medicine courses are even more competitive than the UK.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aks-y
Hi,

Yes generally medicine normally requires Chemistry A level but I think there are some courses that allow you to go straight onto the medicine course after completing their foundation year. One University that springs to mind is Manchester. Nonetheless, it's very easy to research which universities offer that option.

The only problem is you have said that your grades weren't very good. Medicine has pretty high grade requirements of AAA minimum so if you haven't achieved that then there's really no point applying as you will get instantly rejected. Furthermore, there are also the admission tests that you have to sit THIS YEAR for 2024 entry (The UCAT or BMAT). Different Universities use different ones to assess applicants' suitability for the medicine course. The last available time to sit the UCAT is in about 2 weeks meaning you would only have about 2 weeks max to prepare (provided you started today). You can still register for the BMAT but that is a comparably more difficult exam that tests your ability in science and maths something you may struggle with if you haven't done the former since GCSE.

I'd generally advise against graduate entry medicine because that is even more competitive than the standard school leaver or gap year undergraduate route.

My advice if you really want to do medicine would be to take a gap year to properly prepare for the medicine application of 2024 for 2025 entry. Yes, this will mean going to University in 2025 but I'd say that's probably better than trying to rush the application now and getting 4 straight rejections which may damage your self-esteem and confidence.

All this pertains to UK universities but to my knowledge, Australian Medicine courses are even more competitive than the UK.

Hope this helps:smile:

Thank you so much for your advice and insight! Do you think taking Chemistry a-level between now and next year would increase my chances of getting in? Considering I would have to prepare and sit the admissions test anyways, why not sit chem a-level as well?
You'd certainly meet Newcastle's subject requirements, but not sure about the others I'm afraid. If you need chem A-Level to meet the minimum subject requirements, then it would be a good idea to take it (or biology). Your main issue now though is sitting the UCAT on time as this years testing cycle ends on September 28th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending