The Student Room Group

GCHQ Cyber first Cyber security degree apprenticeship

On the website for the degree apprenticeship it says that the degree apprenticeships will restart for a 2024 campaign does that mean that the entry year will be 2024 or 2025?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi mate, I have emailed them regarding this now and I will try to let you know ASAP.
In case I forget just reply here next week as a reminder.

If you are interested in Software Engineer Degree Apprenticeships this should be everything you need:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398323&p=98805399#post98805399
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Astray666
Hi mate, I have emailed them regarding this now and I will try to let you know ASAP.
In case I forget just reply here next week as a reminder.

If you are interested in Software Engineer Degree Apprenticeships this should be everything you need:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398323&p=98805399#post98805399

Hey, thanks for that it would be great if you could update if they do reply.

However, I’m not very certain about it taking place this year as I assumed due to the 2024 campaign that last year was the one paused but I have found out of people applying for it last year.
Also they have updated their website now for the bursary however the degree apprenticeship hasn’t been updated at all.

Finally they actually stated on the myths that the applications were closed this year so you couldn’t apply to both:
IMG_1607.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by Rae1405

However, I’m not very certain about it taking place this year as I assumed due to the 2024 campaign that last year was the one paused but I have found out of people applying for it last year.
Also they have updated their website now for the bursary however the degree apprenticeship hasn’t been updated at all.

Finally they actually stated on the myths that the applications were closed this year so you couldn’t apply to both:
IMG_1607.jpeg

Interesting, if that's true then that would be disappointing hopefully we at least get a more clear cut update but you seem right.
Thanks mate.
Reply 4
Original post by Rae1405

IMG_1607.jpeg

Just to clarify was this here before or is this updated information?
As that affects how this is viewed.
Reply 5
Just to clarify was this here before or is this updated information?
As that affects how this is viewed.

It is on the last question of the myths at the bottom of the careers page: https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/cyberfirst.html

Considering the bursary dates have been updated on it I’m assuming this information is up to date but clarification from GCHQ would still be best.
Reply 6
Original post by Rae1405
It is on the last question of the myths at the bottom of the careers page: https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/cyberfirst.html

Considering the bursary dates have been updated on it I’m assuming this information is up to date but clarification from GCHQ would still be best.

Thanks mate, I've managed to find it, but ultimately it's best if we get a clearer answer from them.
Reply 7
Thanks mate, I've managed to find it, but ultimately it's best if we get a clearer answer from them.

Ye I agree, it’s been very confusing when they could’ve just worded it like that from the start and specified the entry year.

If you do get a reply with them regarding it it would be great if you could update this thread to confirm, thanks
Reply 8
I agree and for sure mate, in the meantime what role do wou want to apply for?
Reply 9
I know I want to go into cyber security but not much more than that really just figured there wouldn’t be a better place to start than at GCHQ

What are you interested in doing?
Original post by Rae1405
I know I want to go into cyber security but not much more than that really just figured there wouldn’t be a better place to start than at GCHQ

What are you interested in doing?

Cyber security in GCHQ would be very rewarding or at a government agency.

I'm thinking about software engineering in the cyber security world.
Reply 11
Cyber security in GCHQ would be very rewarding or at a government agency.

I'm thinking about software engineering in the cyber security world.

Ye exactly so I’m considering taking a gap year and doing placements then trying the degree apprenticeship next year if it isn’t on.

We’re you just looking into software engineering at GCHQ or are you looking at any other apprenticeships?
Oh wow, hopefully it is on, and you should check out MI5 and MI6 as they also do degree apprenticeship in cyber security and software engineering. Working there would be very similar to working at GCHQ.

I would love to get a degree apprenticeship at GCHQ or MI5 however if not then I am thinking about a software company but definitely not in the finance or accounting sector.
Reply 13
Ye I have always been interested in Mi5 and Mi6 however as far as I can find their apprenticeships aren’t degree level.

Haha that’s fair enough I think I would avoid the finance sector at all costs if I can
Original post by Rae1405
Ye I have always been interested in Mi5 and Mi6 however as far as I can find their apprenticeships aren’t degree level.

Haha that’s fair enough I think I would avoid the finance sector at all costs if I can

Are you sure? I saw a vacancy some time ago that was degree level but not sure anymore.

Yes I agree finance can be very boring.
Reply 15
Really? Do you know where you saw this as if it is an option it would be the next best thing after GCHQ.
Original post by Rae1405
Really? Do you know where you saw this as if it is an option it would be the next best thing after GCHQ.

I'll try and have another look, but go to MI5 or MI6 website and go to vacancies might be there.
Reply 17
Thanks, I’ve managed to find the software engineering degree apprenticeship with mi5 but as far as I can tell that is the only degree apprenticeship?
Hmm, then perhaps it's not there anymore, or might pop back again, not sure 😬
Reply 19
Hopefully😭
Are you doing computer science as an a level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending