The Student Room Group

Government Security Cyber Apprenticeship (Level 4) 2023/2024

Hi,

I have created this page for all those applying for the civil service's/Cabinet Offices' Government Security Cyber Apprenticeship (Level 4).

Look forward to hearing from others.

M.
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi emo94

Thanks for creating this discussion page and hopefully we hear from more applicants.
Original post by emo94
Hi,

I have created this page for all those applying for the civil service's/Cabinet Offices' Government Security Cyber Apprenticeship (Level 4).

M.

Nice to meet you!!!!! I have my interview this week!!!!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CyberWarrio3
Nice to meet you!!!!! I have my interview this week!!!!

Nice to meet you as well. You're username illustrates you have that cyber passion already haha. I have my interview this week as well, good luck mate. For my presentation I've decided to cover Quantum computing, machine learning and the IoT, you? I think I've prepped as much as I can for this assessment centre.
Original post by emo94
Nice to meet you as well. You're username illustrates you have that cyber passion already haha. I have my interview this week as well, good luck mate. For my presentation I've decided to cover Quantum computing, machine learning and the IoT, you? I think I've prepped as much as I can for this assessment centre.

I was torn between 'CyberWarrio3' and 'Judoon' from Doctor Who. I have my interview this week as well. I am covering AI, Quantum Computing and Machine Learning. I have been prepping soo much. Hopefully it goes well. I am living and breathing Jac Williams. He covers a load of Civil Service topics on YouTube.
Reply 5
Original post by emo94
Hi,

M.

Good Luck.
I applied but did not pass the numerical test unfortunately. Been so long since I studied GCSE Maths (2007).

Did apply for another apprentice role with them and got to do the numerical test again. Ah.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jmica
Good Luck.
I applied but did not pass the numerical test unfortunately. Been so long since I studied GCSE Maths (2007).

Did apply for another apprentice role with them and got to do the numerical test again. Ah.

Thanks for the well wishing.

Sorry to hear, I must say the numerical test was incredibly challenging. I don't understand why it's a part of the process when in most cyber roles extensive data analysis skills are not required. Everything can typically be pulled to a spreadsheet or app and then analysed. Anywho, their loss I hope you come back swinging.

There are various apprenticeship opportunities available across the home office would you like me to forward them to you? For DevOps, Cyber security, network engineering and even as an IT business analysts/project manager.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by emo94

Sorry to hear, I must say the numerical test was incredibly challenging. I don't understand why it's a part of the process when in most roles extensive data analysis skills are not required. Everything can typically be pulled to a spreadsheet or app and then analysed. Anywho, their loss I hope you come back swinging.

There are various apprenticeship opportunities available across the home office would you like me to forward them to you? For DevOps, Cyber security, network engineering and even as an IT business analysts/project manager.

I am glad it is not just me. As I thought they were challenging compared to the example practical test questions, which were easier. I thought Maths skills to that degree would play a significant role either.

It is OK, it is a learning curve for me as I want to develop my Maths skills anyways. Just wish it was not so hard the first time round. I need to complete both numerical test today. So will just try my best. :smile:

Thank you so much, that would be much appreciated and helpful. Yes please.
Reply 8
Original post by emo94

Sorry to hear, I must say the numerical test was incredibly challenging. I don't understand why it's a part of the process when in most cyber roles extensive data analysis skills are not required. Everything can typically be pulled to a spreadsheet or app and then analysed. Anywho, their loss I hope you come back swinging.

What date is your interview, mine is this week.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Blu404
What date is your interview, mine is this week.

I had mine on Monday, what day is yours?
Reply 10
Original post by emo94
I had mine on Monday, what day is yours?

Mine is on Friday, how was your interview, hope it went well

Was it 3 questions per behaviour such as competency, strength and situational question?

I'm guessing they asked the general interview questions such as tell me about yourself and why do you want to work for the civil service?
Reply 11
I'm currently worried about the presentation since I haven't done a presentation in a long time and wondering what type of follow up questions they will ask me.
Reply 12
Original post by jmica
I am glad it is not just me. As I thought they were challenging compared to the example practical test questions, which were easier. I thought Maths skills to that degree would play a significant role either.

It is OK, it is a learning curve for me as I want to develop my Maths skills anyways. Just wish it was not so hard the first time round. I need to complete both numerical test today. So will just try my best. :smile:

Thank you so much, that would be much appreciated and helpful. Yes please.

Sorry the four positions, I saw online on the civil service closed on the 15/05/23 :frown:.
Reply 13
Original post by CyberWarrio3
I was torn between 'CyberWarrio3' and 'Judoon' from Doctor Who. I have my interview this week as well. I am covering AI, Quantum Computing and Machine Learning. I have been prepping soo much. Hopefully it goes well. I am living and breathing Jac Williams. He covers a load of Civil Service topics on YouTube.

How did you find the assessment centre, was it more intense than you expected or decent?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Blu404
Mine is on Friday, how was your interview, hope it went well

Was it 3 questions per behaviour such as competency, strength and situational question?

I'm guessing they asked the general interview questions such as tell me about yourself and why do you want to work for the civil service?

I couldn't answer the specific questions on this as we aren't allowed to reveal in depth what was asked specifically, unfortunately. Hope you fared better than I did, because I buckled somewhat on the interview, especially the strengths based part. But overall, I think I've done enough. At least, I hope so.
Reply 15
Original post by emo94
I couldn't answer the specific questions on this as we aren't allowed to reveal in depth what was asked specifically, unfortunately. Hope you fared better than I did, because I buckled somewhat on the interview, especially the strengths based part. But overall, I think I've done enough. At least, I hope so.

I found the assessment good, it wasn't as nerve racking as I thought it to be, I think I done well but we will see the results in June.
Reply 16
Hey I also applied for the apprenticeship and have been shortlisted. Just wondering what cities did you apply for and do you have any suggestions on what I can do to prepare for the interview and the assessment centre. Any tips would be appreciated this my first proper interview and I'm really nervous.
Reply 17
Original post by emo94
Sorry the four positions, I saw online on the civil service closed on the 15/05/23 :frown:.

I applied for some and did not pass the assessment stage. :frown:
Reply 18
Hey don't be disheartened if you didn't make it to the interview stage. The whole application process was difficult so don't be hard on your self. If your passionate about cybersecurity I know SANS are doing a government cyber security bootcamp that is 14 weeks long and it's fully funded by the goverment and you receive 2 industry recognised certification and you get career support as well as interviews. I can send the link if anyone is interested
Reply 19
Original post by MmMay
Hey don't be disheartened if you didn't make it to the interview stage. The whole application process was difficult so don't be hard on your self. If your passionate about cybersecurity I know SANS are doing a government cyber security bootcamp that is 14 weeks long and it's fully funded by the goverment and you receive 2 industry recognised certification and you get career support as well as interviews. I can send the link if anyone is interested

Thank you so much, that is very sweet of you. It is OK as I start Level 4 Cyber Security Bootcamp next week. :smile: Thank you for all your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending