The Student Room Group

A Level Biology practicals as private cadidate

Hello,

I am looking to do AQA A Level Biology in June 2024, but I have not previously done GCSE Biology or any other lab work.

So, I am wondering, should I do the practicals? (since I know they are optional, and I want to study Sports Science afterward, which doesn't always require them) and if I do, do them, do you think I would pass them with just studying materials online and not doing any lab work prior? (I think there might be one day prior to the actual assessment days of just practice, but I'm not sure, so I might have some experience then, but minor, if any.)
Original post by SebastianH
Hello,

I am looking to do AQA A Level Biology in June 2024, but I have not previously done GCSE Biology or any other lab work.

So, I am wondering, should I do the practicals? (since I know they are optional, and I want to study Sports Science afterward, which doesn't always require them) and if I do, do them, do you think I would pass them with just studying materials online and not doing any lab work prior? (I think there might be one day prior to the actual assessment days of just practice, but I'm not sure, so I might have some experience then, but minor, if any.)

I was surprised that they could be optional so took a look at the spec to find that they say “The assessment of practical skills is a compulsory requirement of the course of study for A-level qualifications in biology,” which I found here:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/a-level-practical-assessment . You may not have to pass the practical element for your future course but it seems as though you at least have to take it to satisfy the A level board.
It sounds like you have an idea of how you would take these exams, is this at a school/college? I would say you would need a practice run before the actual assessment, and only one run might be ok if you watch some videos to prepare and think you will pick it up quickly. The link above also outlines what the practicals require you to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending