The Student Room Group

University recommendations for an international student hoping to do IR 🥺

Hi everyone, I'm an international student interested in studying international relations at an undergraduate level. I'm an IB student currently in the second year of the diploma programme (taking my exams in November this year), but I'm only applying next year due to military service obligations. My stats are not particularly great, so I'm wondering if it's realistic for me to even consider some of the universities I've been looking at. I finished DP1 with a 29/42. Because I'm not applying this cycle, my school isn't providing me with my predicted grades. I performed pretty meh in the mock exams - including my estimates for TOK/EE I think my total score would be around 31-32 with a 666 for my Higher Level subjects. I'm really ramping up my revision schedule and I hope to finish in the mid to high 30s for my final IB grade. My school's average is usually around 38. These are some of my extracurriculars - I directed a short film, did sound design and editing for a different short film, produced some videos for the local chapter of a global environmental conservation organisation, was a member of the logistics team for a local film festival, helped create a website for my school... and that's about it :P

Based on my targeted final IB grade, I hope to apply to Warwick, York, Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter and Bath (I know I only have five choices, these are just what I'm considering applying to atm). I'm open to more suggestions, especially for unis with strong IR programmes that may be a little less competitive than the options above should I miss my target. Furthermore, even if I do achieve my target IB score (which would hover around the typical offer range for these universities), are these choices unviable targets considering my weak previous grades and extracurriculars?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by thursdays_son
Hi everyone, I'm an international student interested in studying international relations at an undergraduate level. I'm an IB student currently in the second year of the diploma programme (taking my exams in November this year), but I'm only applying next year due to military service obligations. My stats are not particularly great, so I'm wondering if it's realistic for me to even consider some of the universities I've been looking at. I finished DP1 with a 29/42. Because I'm not applying this cycle, my school isn't providing me with my predicted grades. I performed pretty meh in the mock exams - including my estimates for TOK/EE I think my total score would be around 31-32 with a 666 for my Higher Level subjects. I'm really ramping up my revision schedule and I hope to finish in the mid to high 30s for my final IB grade. My school's average is usually around 38. These are some of my extracurriculars - I directed a short film, did sound design and editing for a different short film, produced some videos for the local chapter of a global environmental conservation organisation, was a member of the logistics team for a local film festival, helped create a website for my school... and that's about it :P

Based on my targeted final IB grade, I hope to apply to Warwick, York, Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter and Bath (I know I only have five choices, these are just what I'm considering applying to atm). I'm open to more suggestions, especially for unis with strong IR programmes that may be a little less competitive than the options above should I miss my target. Furthermore, even if I do achieve my target IB score (which would hover around the typical offer range for these universities), are these choices unviable targets considering my weak previous grades and extracurriculars?

Aberystwyth is out of the way but has a long and respected history in IR.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Aberystwyth is out of the way but has a long and respected history in IR.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that :smile:
Hi @thursdays_son,

LSBU offers an International Relations course which you can study at the heart of political power in the UK, at our campus on the doorstep of Westminster ;-)

We quickly run out of available spaces because it's a very popular study at our university. And we are proud to admit that our IR alumni is currenly working with the United Nations, Ministry of Defence, British Council and the World Bank.

Additionally, we have thousands of international students from over 130 countries, thus we offer numerous services and support to our global prospects.

You can read more about Bsc International Relations at LSBU with this link: https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/study/course-finder/international-relations-ba-hons-2022-23

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 4
Original post by LSBU Student Rep

LSBU offers an International Relations course which you can study at the heart of political power in the UK, at our campus on the doorstep of Westminster

Which sounds fine - until you realise LSBU is the lowest level Uni in London and not worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @thursdays_son,

LSBU offers an International Relations course which you can study at the heart of political power in the UK, at our campus on the doorstep of Westminster ;-)

We quickly run out of available spaces because it's a very popular study at our university. And we are proud to admit that our IR alumni is currenly working with the United Nations, Ministry of Defence, British Council and the World Bank.

Additionally, we have thousands of international students from over 130 countries, thus we offer numerous services and support to our global prospects.

You can read more about Bsc International Relations at LSBU with this link: https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/study/course-finder/international-relations-ba-hons-2022-23

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that :smile:

Hi!

If you have any questions about studying at York, I'm happy to help! I can go to the department and ask them any questions you might have about the course, or if you have any queries about student life I can also help as I'm a recent York graduate!

Hazel :smile:
If you are still looking for more recommendations maybe look at Edinburgh, maybe Aberdeen and Manchester?

All these are very different unis, with different interests / academics - is there a particular aspect of IR or global region you are interested in because that may bias your choices? My daughter was interested in Chinese politics and St Andrews was good, she ended up at Lancaster and they have some really interesting stuff around Peace

You are listing some of the best UK unis, sorry I don't understands your grades, I assume they are close to the entry requirements the unis list?

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a recent graduate of History & Politics at Lancaster University. Of course, I'm biased, but I'd definitely advocate for the University as an option to study IR. I studied in the UK for 6th Form but took the IB too so I know the University only requires 32 IB points overall for students with 16 of those coming from the 3 HL subjects. IR is part of our PPR (Politics, Philosophy & Religion) department, so there's a lot of interdisciplinarity at play at the institution. That means IR students have a wide range of contemporary and historical areas they can explore from the History of the Middle East to Race, Decolonisation & Empire, Russia, China, The Global South, Africa and more. If this sounds interesting, there's lot of information on the website or feel free to respond to this message as I'm also a PPR Student Ambassador and about to start a Master's degree with the department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending