The Student Room Group

What uni should I go to??

Hey, I’m an international student ( from australia) so any advice would be appreciated. I’m currently firmed to go to Glasgow University for International Relations. However, the entire ordeal of it being 4 years is financially a bit too much. My other options are; Exeter University ( IR as well), UEA ( IR ), Cardiff ( IR), Royal Holloway ( Law w IR) or Sussex ( Law w IR)
What does everyone think I should do? 🙃 Thanks
(edited 9 months ago)
What sort of region of the UK do you want to live in? Because some of those are rural and some of those are city based.
What was it about Glasgow that appealed to you? Is your offer conditional or unconditional?

What other offers did you get from your original 5 choices?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by totallyfine
What sort of region of the UK do you want to live in? Because some of those are rural and some of those are city based.

Honestly, I’d love both! I’m not too fussed and wouldn’t mind being in either or ahah
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
What was it about Glasgow that appealed to you? Is your offer conditional or unconditional?

What other offers did you get from your original 5 choices?

Because I’m international, I’ve already gotten my grades so they’re all unconditional offers. And I just liked the atmosphere of Glasgow both academically and socially.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by dhuvas
Because I’m international, I’ve already gotten my grades so they’re all unconditional offers. And I just liked the atmosphere of Glasgow both academically and socially.

If you feel Glasgow might be too expensive I would go for Cardiff. It is a city university and one of the cheapest to study in. If yo are looking at your best option that would be Exeter but that is quite an expensive area.

Hello there @dhuvas!

Many congratulations on your offers from those universities, exciting times ahead!

There is so much to consider when choosing where to go for university, so I completely understand how difficult it might feel– at the end of the day its about finding a place that practically, realistically suits your needs (course structure, university rankings, your career interests, your personal budget) and a somewhere that ‘feels right’ for you.

Its great to hear you have a selection of universities in regions where you’re confident you would enjoy living in that case the cost of living is definitely something to think about. If you can you could try and check out the supermarket prices online for the local areas, or if you can chat to current students from your universities about how much they typically spend per week/month (hint: Glasgow, Cardiff and Exeter all have options on their websites to instant-message with current staff and students)! This page by Save the Student also has a handy tool where you can compare different UK university towns on the average price students pay per month for rented accommodation it might give you an idea of what you could be looking at beyond first year. When I started here at Bath something which helped me keep an eye on my money was starting a ‘spending spreadsheet’, where each month I recorded my incomings (maintenance loan, monthly payments from my student ambassador job, any scholarship or bursary payments if you have these) and outgoings (rent, transport, weekly shops) and if I ended up overspending one month, I would work out where I could save next time.

Remember though that whilst the cost of living is important - as are factors like course structure, what modules are on offer and whether they align with your career interests etc this place will be your home for the next 3-4 years, which is a big investment. If one of your universities in particular stood out to you as ‘feeling right’ for you academically and socially, then this is good sign.

Wishing you the best of luck in your decision I hope this helped a little!

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
If you feel Glasgow might be too expensive I would go for Cardiff. It is a city university and one of the cheapest to study in. If yo are looking at your best option that would be Exeter but that is quite an expensive area.

Thankyou!! It’s not particularly the living expenses in Glasgow, because that’s quite cheap relative to the other options, it’s more specifically the additional year in Scottish unis. But yea, as of now, Exeter is the one i’m looking at most :smile: thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending