The Student Room Group

Will I get conditional offers with these GCSE predicted grades?

Can I get into the créme de la créme of colleges (e.g Eton, Freemens and Tiffin) with these GCSE predicted grades

English Lang & Lit: 9
Maths: 8
Chemistry: 8
Biology: 8
Physics: 8
History: 9
RS: 8
French: 5
Drama: 8

These are quite harsh by the way - I really feel I can get higher during actual exams and Y11 mocks. I do extra curricular stuff too.

Also side question, can I show Y11 mock results to colleges if they put me on a waiting list or something?

Lastly, if these grades will get me in such colleges, will things like scholarships be feasible?
Hey! Your grades definitely mean you can apply to any sixth form you want.

If you’re applying for 2024 (I assume you are), the deadline for Eton is Friday 22nd September (tomorrow). This can be done online and I believe you only pay the application fee if you’re shortlisted.

You have to do a personal statement which you want to show off on - any broad interests/skills like sports, the arts etc.

Scholarships at schools like Eton are mostly honorary - won’t grant much of a fee reduction. I know Harrows scholarship allows for 5%. If you might need financial assistance I’d consider a bursary but there’s also the Orwell Award (if applicable) to students who’ve spent year 9, 10 and 11 in a state school OR UK private school with significant fee reduction.
Reply 2
Original post by rsstudent007
Hey! Your grades definitely mean you can apply to any sixth form you want.

If you’re applying for 2024 (I assume you are), the deadline for Eton is Friday 22nd September (tomorrow). This can be done online and I believe you only pay the application fee if you’re shortlisted.

You have to do a personal statement which you want to show off on - any broad interests/skills like sports, the arts etc.

Scholarships at schools like Eton are mostly honorary - won’t grant much of a fee reduction. I know Harrows scholarship allows for 5%. If you might need financial assistance I’d consider a bursary but there’s also the Orwell Award (if applicable) to students who’ve spent year 9, 10 and 11 in a state school OR UK private school with significant fee reduction.

Do you think I should drop French and stick to 9 GCSEs all 8s and 9s or will 10 with one 5 be better for my application?
Original post by Mesacake

Do you think I should drop French and stick to 9 GCSEs all 8s and 9s or will 10 with one 5 be better for my application?

I don’t think they’ll take much into account with your 5. Although modern foreign languages are important to have, especially if you want to go into law at university for example.

I’m only doing 9 GCSEs with an extra qualification and I’ve made it into Harrows first stage. Although, I’ve got some GCSEs early at grade 9.

The schools care more about your hobbies to see how well you’ll fit with the other people in their college, so I’d keep that in mind (especially for the interviews).

Extracurriculars like sports and music are important but if you’ve got anything to standout then I’d make sure to add that in. Everyone applying is probably top of their class etc so try boast your individuality in the application
Original post by rsstudent007

I don’t think they’ll take much into account with your 5. Although modern foreign languages are important to have, especially if you want to go into law at university for example.

I’m only doing 9 GCSEs with an extra qualification and I’ve made it into Harrows first stage. Although, I’ve got some GCSEs early at grade 9.

The schools care more about your hobbies to see how well you’ll fit with the other people in their college, so I’d keep that in mind (especially for the interviews).

Extracurriculars like sports and music are important but if you’ve got anything to standout then I’d make sure to add that in. Everyone applying is probably top of their class etc so try boast your individuality in the application

Out of my own interest 😭 which schools have you applied to so far?

Quick Reply

Latest