The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham new person questions

Hi! i'm doing philosophy/theology at durham, and i'm super excited- it is my first choice uni, and ive been allocated to trevelyan college- my first choice, and i love the course!
i just had some questions to ask
1. is there a reading list- i just want to make sure i've read everything i need to
2. when do we get our room numbers? ( i've heard we get them when we arrive on saturday)
3. do we need to do a starter essay? i know some unis want starter essays, but i've not been emailed or anything- so i don't know?
4. where do we find our timetables?
5. do we have lessons in Freshers week?

thank you!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
This varies from University/Course, you should your personal tutor/lecturer/department team. Usually no lectures are held during freshers week.

Sorry for the unhelpful answer, I'd rather you be properly informed. :cool:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by CompSciJP
This varies from University/Course, you should your personal tutor/lecturer/department team. Usually no lectures are held during freshers week.

Sorry for the unhelpful answer, I'd rather you be properly informed. :cool:

cool, what happens in freshers then?
no probs, thanks for answering- apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, this is my first time posting on here
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by philthatdurham
cool, what happens in freshers then?
no probs, thanks for answering- apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, this is my first time posting on here

A lot of alcohol, full time boogieing, free stuff; have you not looked at the freshers events?
Original post by CompSciJP
A lot of alcohol, full time boogieing, free stuff; have you not looked at the freshers events?

no i have- i just assumed there'd be lectures and stuff as well
is there a college/course GC/group chat i could join?
Reply 5

Download Unifi.

There are normally introductory lectures with the department, these should be on the induction planner
Hi! i'm doing philosophy/theology at durham, and i'm super excited- it is my first choice uni, and ive been allocated to trevelyan college- my first choice, and i love the course!
i just had some questions to ask
1. is there a reading list- i just want to make sure i've read everything i need to
2. when do we get our room numbers? ( i've heard we get them when we arrive on saturday)
3. do we need to do a starter essay? i know some unis want starter essays, but i've not been emailed or anything- so i don't know?
4. where do we find our timetables?
5. do we have lessons in Freshers week?

thank you!

Hiya

Welcome to Durham!

1. Yes there are reading lists and it will be available on Learn Ultra and you also email your professors to check in with them.
2. You'll receive your room numbers and key the day you arrive.
3. To my knowledge, no you don't need a starter essay but I'm not sure if the Philosophy/Theology department require them but I don't believe so. If you haven't been emailed about a starter essay, then I assume it's not required.
4. Timetables are available online via MyTimetable. If you google 'My Timetable Durham University' it should be available on the first search result.
5. No you don't have any lessons during Freshers week, just orientation and introduction lectures with general info about your department and your course, assessments, etc.

Best of luck and I hope this information helps :smile:

-Ghala
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

Welcome to Durham!

1. Yes there are reading lists and it will be available on Learn Ultra and you also email your professors to check in with them.
2. You'll receive your room numbers and key the day you arrive.
3. To my knowledge, no you don't need a starter essay but I'm not sure if the Philosophy/Theology department require them but I don't believe so. If you haven't been emailed about a starter essay, then I assume it's not required.
4. Timetables are available online via MyTimetable. If you google 'My Timetable Durham University' it should be available on the first search result.
5. No you don't have any lessons during Freshers week, just orientation and introduction lectures with general info about your department and your course, assessments, etc.

Best of luck and I hope this information helps :smile:

-Ghala

Thank you!
was the reading list meant to be read over the summer- i haven't recieved anything yet? (i will check Learn Ultra)!
thank you again!
Thank you!
was the reading list meant to be read over the summer- i haven't recieved anything yet? (i will check Learn Ultra)!
thank you again!

No, this will be the reading list for during your first year of your course :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
No, this will be the reading list for during your first year of your course :smile:

brilliant!
i was scared there for a sec
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest