The Student Room Group

how likely are unis to give offers in December or before January 31st deadline?

I'm an international student and just submitted my application to the following universities, all for integrated master computer science
1. UCL
2. KCL
3. Durham
4. Southampton
5. Nottingham

I expected a long wait but just curious if all of them will definitely be very late in like April, March, or even May or can I expect to hear back from at least one of them this or next month?
(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

UCL very likely to be late April or in May in my experience applying to a different course and based on what other people have said the last couple years.

The others hard to say although I think Durham was somewhat slow in previous years.

Ultimately unis have until late May if I recall to make decisions, and your "timer" for accepting offers doesn't begin until you receive the last decision from your choices.

In general would not expect to get any decisions in the next month, as unis in the UK basically shut down during the Christmas-New Year period (even for admin/non-academic staff), and it's probably unlikely you'll get a decision in the next week or two before that.
The average decision time is around 7 weeks. COMPSCI in general and the first three listed unis are likely to be longer than that, potentially quite a bit longer. The other two you may hear back from relatively quickly, accepting that decision making will slow down in December as admin staff start to take leave and offices to close completely for a week or two. Then the big rush of apps before the deadline in Jan.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
The average decision time is around 7 weeks. COMPSCI in general and the first three listed unis are likely to be longer than that, potentially quite a bit longer. The other two you may hear back from relatively quickly, accepting that decision making will slow down in December as admin staff start to take leave and offices to close completely for a week or two. Then the big rush of apps before the deadline in Jan.

I know UCL and king's college is usually slow but durham is slow too?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
UCL very likely to be late April or in May in my experience applying to a different course and based on what other people have said the last couple years.

The others hard to say although I think Durham was somewhat slow in previous years.

Ultimately unis have until late May if I recall to make decisions, and your "timer" for accepting offers doesn't begin until you receive the last decision from your choices.

In general would not expect to get any decisions in the next month, as unis in the UK basically shut down during the Christmas-New Year period (even for admin/non-academic staff), and it's probably unlikely you'll get a decision in the next week or two before that.

How slow is Durham? Also, if you're a better-than-most student, is it true you would be more likely to receive your offer faster than others?
Original post by BangPitung
Durham is usually slow?

I can’t speak for Durham specifically, but COMPSCI is often well subscribed and Durham is well ranked so I would expect them to be slower than average.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
I can’t speak for Durham specifically, but COMPSCI is often well subscribed and Durham is well ranked so I would expect them to be slower than average.

Ah ok thanks, also, if you're a good student with high predicted, is it true that they would usually give you offer early?
How slow is Durham? Also, if you're a better-than-most student, is it true you would be more likely to receive your offer faster than others?

For a subject like CS I think honestly most students probably have very strong credentials on paper so I don't think having good academics in that regard are likely to change the timeline.

Not really familiar with Durham in general although I seem to recall there being threads about them being slow to confirm offers after results day so wouldn't be surprised if they were slow to give offers in the first place. I think they often interview as well (although maybe not all subjects?) which probably makes things slower too?
Ah ok thanks, also, if you're a good student with high predicted, is it true that they would usually give you offer early?

Not necessarily. If they use a gathered field, (scoring many applications before making decisions, so they can weigh up the strength of the applicant pool), then you could be on hold for a good long time even if you are strong on paper. Likewise, if they make decisions roughly in order received then you could be waiting until they get to you.
Reply 9
For a subject like CS I think honestly most students probably have very strong credentials on paper so I don't think having good academics in that regard are likely to change the timeline.

Not really familiar with Durham in general although I seem to recall there being threads about them being slow to confirm offers after results day so wouldn't be surprised if they were slow to give offers in the first place. I think they often interview as well (although maybe not all subjects?) which probably makes things slower too?

I see, I heard being an international help though. Also, are you sure they give interview? I would be extremely surprised if they have interviews for computer science
I see, I heard being an international help though. Also, are you sure they give interview? I would be extremely surprised if they have interviews for computer science

Durham is notorious for putting students on hold. CS is extremely popular at the moment. My son waited 4 months for Maths years ago and still didnt hear so he withdrew his application. He was predicted and achieved very high grades. They tend to reject no hopers and leave the others to work through after the equal consideration deadline. Many of their applicants also apply for Oxbridge so the standard and competition is very high. It is unlikely they will interview.
Original post by swanseajack1
Durham is notorious for putting students on hold. CS is extremely popular at the moment. My son waited 4 months for Maths years ago and still didnt hear so he withdrew his application. He was predicted and achieved very high grades. They tend to reject no hopers and leave the others to work through after the equal consideration deadline. Many of their applicants also apply for Oxbridge so the standard and competition is very high. It is unlikely they will interview.

A couple of years ago Kings had thousands they hadnt replied to by May and UCAS ended up auto rejecting them. CS was one of the main subjects it happened.

A couple of years ago Kings had thousands they hadnt replied to by May and UCAS ended up auto rejecting them. CS was one of the main subjects it happened.

Honestly kings admissions have such a bad rep, I never even considered applying for them as if they can't even sort out applications, what's to say they will give you a good education. Regardless, it puts them in a bad light and was out of the question either way for me
Durham had a bunch of students rejected on the deadline in may/June over the last 2 years.

And then advertised spaces in those courses in clearing in July :nope:
To be honest I wouldn’t worry - Southampton is the best of your 5 choices by far for CS.
Reply 14

Hello, a bit awkward but I just got an offer from Durham! They gave me a slightly lower offer than their entry requirement. I will be honest, I'm as surprised as you, especially as they gave me an offer less than a week after I submitted my application. I don't know if I'm an exception or they're just different like that this year or maybe other factors, not sure either. Now that I already got an offer from Durham, I am thinking of changing Nottingham to something else as they used to be my safety choice. I'm wondering whether I should take a very very big risk with Imperial or should I just go with Bath or Bristol, both of which I think are still wonderful school.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 15

do you know exactly when they close and re-open? I was thinking of submitting my application next week but if they are closed I might as well wait
Original post by Ashdeux
do you know exactly when they close and re-open? I was thinking of submitting my application next week but if they are closed I might as well wait

Generally universities are officially closed from Christmas eve to new year (sometimes with a day more one side or the other of Christmas).

Lots of staff will take time off on top of that, especially if they have children.
I got my MEng Durham CS offer about a week after applying before the Oxbridge deadline in 2020. Cannot say about the others
Original post by shadowblades
Honestly kings admissions have such a bad rep, I never even considered applying for them as if they can't even sort out applications, what's to say they will give you a good education. Regardless, it puts them in a bad light and was out of the question either way for me

Maybe this year is different - I got an offer from Kings for CS a few days ago
Original post by Cupcakecandy

Maybe this year is different - I got an offer from Kings for CS a few days ago

Ooo maybe and well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending