The Student Room Group

Third Subject for Chemistry

So my college doesn't offer Further Maths which would've been ideal. I signed up for Maths, Chemistry and Law as my A-Level combination.

I have concerns about Law. I've seen it going round that it's not an academically respected subject - and yes, it does seem to be relatively simple with a lot of rote memorisation involved. But this was actually part of my reasoning for the current combination; it would allow me to really focus on getting A* in Maths & Chemistry. A high grade is more doable but less valuable - a double edged sword situation.

My options if I were to swap it out would be Physics or Biology, as I am aware Oxford recommends a third science. I got top grades across the board at GCSE but I'm returning to education after a long break which affects my confidence. I'm not sure that I could achieve the A at a hypothetical third science, considering the heightened complexity and time investment. The risk is of bringing down my average grade due to the extra and more dfficult workload. But, I will of course be putting in my best regardless.

Can anyone offer insights as to whether I would be at a significant disadvantage by continuing with Law as a third subject? Are there perhaps any other subjects I haven't considered that would be good to take? My college offers the typical range of humanities and Computer Science as well.

Thanks to any replies for entertaining my dilemma.
Original post by halxio
So my college doesn't offer Further Maths which would've been ideal. I signed up for Maths, Chemistry and Law as my A-Level combination.

I have concerns about Law. I've seen it going round that it's not an academically respected subject - and yes, it does seem to be relatively simple with a lot of rote memorisation involved. But this was actually part of my reasoning for the current combination; it would allow me to really focus on getting A* in Maths & Chemistry. A high grade is more doable but less valuable - a double edged sword situation.

My options if I were to swap it out would be Physics or Biology, as I am aware Oxford recommends a third science. I got top grades across the board at GCSE but I'm returning to education after a long break which affects my confidence. I'm not sure that I could achieve the A at a hypothetical third science, considering the heightened complexity and time investment. The risk is of bringing down my average grade due to the extra and more dfficult workload. But, I will of course be putting in my best regardless.

Can anyone offer insights as to whether I would be at a significant disadvantage by continuing with Law as a third subject? Are there perhaps any other subjects I haven't considered that would be good to take? My college offers the typical range of humanities and Computer Science as well.

I don’t think it’s that serious of a disadvantage. I have known successful applicants for chemistry at Oxford who have taken essay-based subjects as their third subjects at A level and gone on to manage better with the written aspects of the uni course.

As long as your supercurriculars show you are very invested in chemistry and your predictions are at least A* A* A, you should be able to secure at least an interview. Make sure you find a book like “chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry” by Burrows et al. or “Organic chemistry” by Clayden et al. that will challenge or build on what you’ve learnt at A level (ofc tailor you choice(s) of books to your interests).

Your reference could always make a point of mentioning that your college doesn’t offer FM, but if it did, your teacher would imagine you are capable of an A/A* in it (note you’d have to request your teacher make a point of putting this in). This isn’t necessary, of course, but as part of the admissions criteria for chemistry at Oxford mentions you are expected to be mathematically apt, it may help you a little.
(edited 7 months ago)
i'm not sure how the Oxford admissions tutors view law as an A level subject
If you really want to study and take Further Maths even if your college doesn't allow it, I think @Muttley79 can recommend you some stuff :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by halxio

Are you in England?
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd

Your reference could always make a point of mentioning that your college doesn’t offer FM
, but if it did, your teacher would imagine you are capable of an A/A* in it (note you’d have to request your teacher make a point of putting this in). This isn’t necessary, of course, but as part of the admissions criteria for chemistry at Oxford mentions you are expected to be mathematically apt, it may help you a little.

If this college is in England this isn't true though - all can
Original post by halxio

Law is perfectly acceptable academically in general. That is itself not an issue. I think not taking a third STEM subject is more likely to be an issue though for Oxford (and honestly probably a few other chemistry courses). Personally I think taking a third STEM subject like FM or physics would probably make you a better chemist, realistically (biology perhaps less so unless you really were exclusively interested in the biological chemistry and chemical biology side of things). You can do FM through the AMSP, although I don't think it's necessarily easier than doing e.g. physics or biology anyway.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Are you in England?

Yes.
Reply 8
Original post by halxio

I think Law is fine, but alternatively, assuming you don't want to do FM/bio/physics, computer science would be good, as would one of the social sciences such as Economics, Geography and Psychology.

They are all fine, and although 3x STEM would arguably be a bit better for a STEM degree, doing a social science would have the benefit of developing essay/communication skills.
Reply 9
Original post by halxio
Yes.

All state schools/colleges can offer Further Maths through AMSP ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending