The Student Room Group

looking for a job while at university

hi there,

so yea as mentioned in the title i'm thinking of looking for a job while at uni, im starting my first year of uni this week and i'm not really sure how to approach this. it makes me feel really bad about myself because it feels like most people are already getting/got a job etc and i'm not sure it'll be so easy for me.

i've applied on indeed (ik, not the best way, but it was the easiest when i was busy + i got my first job like that) and to like 2 bigger companies like aldi (also rejected me), i'm thinking the best way would be to go to the places i wanna apply to with my cv and ask whether they're hiring directly, or alternatively calling them, what's your opinion on that? also should i look for a job instantly or give myself some time to get used to all the lectures and workload to see how much more i can handle? any tips on writing a good cv? (i have like 6 months of experience as a waitress, thats not much, ik)

maybe volunteering would be a good choice? it doesnt get my money but at least some experience, idek man

its all really overwhelming i have to say, just makes me feel like a failure not being able to get a job yk :,)

would appreciate some tips/personal experiences, thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by j3lly_f1sh
hi there,

so yea as mentioned in the title i'm thinking of looking for a job while at uni, im starting my first year of uni this week and i'm not really sure how to approach this. it makes me feel really bad about myself because it feels like most people are already getting/got a job etc and i'm not sure it'll be so easy for me.

i've applied on indeed (ik, not the best way, but it was the easiest when i was busy + i got my first job like that) and to like 2 bigger companies like aldi (also rejected me), i'm thinking the best way would be to go to the places i wanna apply to with my cv and ask whether they're hiring directly, or alternatively calling them, what's your opinion on that? also should i look for a job instantly or give myself some time to get used to all the lectures and workload to see how much more i can handle? any tips on writing a good cv? (i have like 6 months of experience as a waitress, thats not much, ik)

maybe volunteering would be a good choice? it doesnt get my money but at least some experience, idek man

its all really overwhelming i have to say, just makes me feel like a failure not being able to get a job yk :,)

Firstly congrats on starting university! :smile:

At the beginning everything can become a little overwhelming, especially if you start comparing yourself to others.:rofl: I would recommend checking in with your university, often they have job opportunities, specifically for their students which shouldn't require a big application process.

For example sometimes they offer an 'ambassador' type role. This is usually paid and can involve talking about your experience of the course and university life. In most cases it is a zero hours contract and is flexible, however this will depend on your university. :thumbsup:

Good Luck and remember you've got this!
hi there,

Try places like mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students, and are very flexible. Look on the careers section of their website for the jobs.
Id start applying now. By the time you get interviewed etc etc, you will know more about what your workload is likely to be.
A lot of places are also looking for christmas temp jobs from now onwards, so if you dont have any luck elsewhere, then you could always look for a christmas temp job until you find something better.
And if you dont get anything, volunteering in a charity shop or somewhere is a good idea. It give you experience until you find something better.
hi there,

Hi!

Definitely a good idea to get a job while at uni, can make some extra money and build up some work experience alongside your qualification :smile: no need to feel bad though its very early doors and you have plenty of time!

Already off to a strong start with some online applications and I would recommend looking at local shops and restaurants if they have anything available and that can be approached by going to the place or making call (sometimes you can even do both!) But if you are uncertain if you can manage with uni, I would recommend to invest into a timesheet or trying to plan out days, look at modules you have and think what time outside of uni you will need to revise/understand the material. If you can't find time for work without it being too stressful and you can afford not to then there is nothing wrong with focusing more on studies :smile:

Personally I can understand as I didn't get a job when I was at uni, I would recommend first year definitely will have time to work, but from 2nd year onwards if you feel the stress of uni and work isn't helping then nothing wrong with focusing on studies from that point!

P.s just as a little boost, knew a few people who were working while at uni, compared to me who didn't, by the end with the extra time I used to study they walked away scraping a 2:1 and I was an easy 1st soo :P Make sure to do whats best for you and thats what matters most!
Reply 4
hi there, quick update, i somehow did manage to get a job a couple of days ago, went to a trial shift, now just some training shifts and ig thats it for now, i appreciate all the tips tho, and if anyone has any more to add, please do, idk how long i'll stay there

It is great you found a job - sometimes it is down to luck more than anything (sorry, not implying your getting a job was luck, but the fact you hadn't managed to find anything before was probably just bad luck). Anyway, all those things you suggested, such as approaching places directly, are excellent ideas and show you have a lot of enthusiasm, which employers generally love. The careers service at your university will usually be very good at providing advice on CVs, and it is never too soon to visit them and get to know them. Re working and studying, it depends how many lectures you have, how many essays etc you need to produce, how much time you want to spend developing other skills and interests at university (acting in plays, writing for university blogs, learning a language via self-study etc) and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending