The Student Room Group

Oxford chemistry

Hi, hope you are all well.
I am applying for chemistry at Oxford and I have got 9999988877 at GCSEs and A*A*A* (chemistry, maths and further maths). I have written my personal statement and it is sent off to my tutor.
I am seeking for any type of resources plus methods and techniques on how you prepared for the chemistry interview.
Is their any type of books or resources you had to buy as well as the style of the chemistry interview. What was the most difficult position they put you in?

I have also heard a lot of people have kind of learnt the whole a level syllabus for chemistry. Which I am currently trying to do. As well as doing questions from the Olympiad - which I will do towards October/November time.
Is there any specific topics like unit cell and delocalisation outside my curriculum that I need to be aware of.
I am also finding it really hard getting interview practice as my college only offers one mock session before. But I would really love to build up my confidence. So please let me know how you prepared to get an offer.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, hope you are all well.
I am applying for chemistry at Oxford and I have got 9999988877 at GCSEs and A*A*A* (chemistry, maths and further maths). I have written my personal statement and it is sent off to my tutor.
I am seeking for any type of resources plus methods and techniques on how you prepared for the chemistry interview.
Is their any type of books or resources you had to buy as well as the style of the chemistry interview. What was the most difficult position they put you in?

I have also heard a lot of people have kind of learnt the whole a level syllabus for chemistry. Which I am currently trying to do. As well as doing questions from the Olympiad - which I will do towards October/November time.
Is there any specific topics like unit cell and delocalisation outside my curriculum that I need to be aware of.
I am also finding it really hard getting interview practice as my college only offers one mock session before. But I would really love to build up my confidence. So please let me know how you prepared to get an offer.

I can’t tell you exactly what I was asked in my interviews, since there is a code of conduct. As such, I can’t possibly tell you precisely what the most difficult position they put me in was.

In terms of resources, RSC chemistry olympiad past papers are the absolute best things you can try. You can also use the C3L6 past paper questions, too, but these are much simpler. I believe Jesus College has a YouTube video where they show you roughly what to expect in an (organic) chemistry interview - I’ll find it and add it to this post later on.

Really what the interviewers want to see is how you think in scenarios you are not familiar with. Knowing all the material in advance and getting straight to the right answers is NOT going to land you a place. As such, chemistry books are not worth reading just for the sake of learning everything before an interview. You are better off trying to teach others who are less familiar with chemistry about various concepts so as to get practice with explaining your reasoning out loud.

EDIT: here it is: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ulc5q2bvI
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
@TypicalNerd, I read somewhere of your timeline for the past two years re; when you heard about interview dates. I can’t find it now. Are you able to re-post please?
Also do you know roughly what date the ‘declined for interview’ emails come out?
Many thanks for your help.
Original post by Grgy
@TypicalNerd, I read somewhere of your timeline for the past two years re; when you heard about interview dates. I can’t find it now. Are you able to re-post please?
Also do you know roughly what date the ‘declined for interview’ emails come out?
Many thanks for your help.

Usually around November 23rd.

Both interview invite and declined for interviews emails come out around the same time
Reply 4
Thanks for the quick response @TypicalNerd. Just a waiting game now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending