The Student Room Group

Are there extra things i should do?

I am currently in year 10, I have predicted grades of 7s and 8s at gcse right now but I didn't put any effort in last year. I want to go to Cambridge or Oxford and obviously studying and revising to get better grades will help but are there any other things I can do to get extra credit or better chances. Maybe something like APstudents would be useful.
What subject are you thinking of eventually applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What subject are you thinking of eventually applying to?

I want to take a chemistry biology course
Ah OK! I'm not that knowledgeable about science courses, so can't advise much unfortunately. In any case, Year 10 is a bit too early too do anything that meaningful, beyond working hard to get the best grades you can at the end of Year 11.

Are there particular areas of biology or chemistry that interest you, that you might enjoy reading books on (in addition to stuff you may have to read for your current Year 10 homework)? Having things to talk about in your UCAS personal statement and any potential interviews at Oxford or Cambridge, is always good. Do you think you could do some work experience some place science-y as well? :smile:
@Scotney , any ideas? :smile:
Reply 5
Oxford take GCSE results in to account more than Cambridge. Cambridge tend to balance this in a way by having slightly higher A Level grades achieved by their entrants on average. So Cambridge favours the person who crammed for the last 2 years before entry and Oxford has a more holistic approach.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
@Scotney , any ideas? :smile:

I think you have it covered my friend!
,OP. as stated Oxford want those 9s so really need to start nailing those exam techniques at the end of the year.But anything extra such as science clubs,work experience and extra reading,will all be useful.
Reply 7
Ah OK! I'm not that knowledgeable about science courses, so can't advise much unfortunately. In any case, Year 10 is a bit too early too do anything that meaningful, beyond working hard to get the best grades you can at the end of Year 11.

Are there particular areas of biology or chemistry that interest you, that you might enjoy reading books on (in addition to stuff you may have to read for your current Year 10 homework)? Having things to talk about in your UCAS personal statement and any potential interviews at Oxford or Cambridge, is always good. Do you think you could do some work experience some place science-y as well? :smile:

I like the plant side and neuroscience of biology and atomic structure and the science behind that in chemistry. My school doesn’t have any science clubs and I don’t think there are any science related work experience local to me.
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney

I think you have it covered my friend!
,OP. as stated Oxford want those 9s so really need to start nailing those exam techniques at the end of the year.But anything extra such as science clubs,work experience and extra reading,will all be useful.

Do you recommend any books i should read?
Reply 9
Original post by haydesn
Do you recommend any books i should read?

Anything you are interested in really.The Selfish Gene Obviously,The New Scientist,join a library and just see what interests you.
Have you considered Biology ,Chemistry and Maths Olympiads.
Reply 10
Original post by Scotney

Anything you are interested in really.The Selfish Gene Obviously,The New Scientist,join a library and just see what interests you.
Have you considered Biology ,Chemistry and Maths Olympiads.

Thanks, I will look in to those Olympiads

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending