The Student Room Group

Croydon: Girl, 15, killed in south London stabbing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by the beer
I have already

Decriminalise drug possession.

I'm not opposed to this in the sense that it would free up a lot of police time. However, as with so many things, I don't think that as a country we are ready for the shock. With the media and social media being the way it is, I don't see how any government survives the first six months to a year of such a policy. People will inevitably act stupidly straight away and it is an absolute certainty that newsfeeds would be filled every day with bad news stories related to such policy, and photographs of sad looking people who say their child died of a heroin OD that never would have happened had the evil government (of whichever colour - probably orange) hadn't legalised drugs. Every newspaper except the Independent would be feverishly working to bring down the government. Politicians know this would happen, so thats why it's so unlikely. The same could be said for speed limits on motorways. I could be persuaded that long term it would be a good thing to either raise of get rid of speed limits on motorways - but we all know that if that happened, in the first few days there would be fatal accidents all over the place as people abuse their new found freedoms and behave stupidly. As such, no government would survive it.

This all comes round to a simple question of - how does decriminalising possession reduce violent crime? The answer is - it doesn't. It won't do a thing other than to embolden gang kids who are actually dealing but will now be able to much more easily claim they are simply in possession. I don't really see any circumstances under which you won't see a proliferation of gang activity rather than a reduction.
Reply 41
Original post by Trinculo
I'm not opposed to this in the sense that it would free up a lot of police time. However, as with so many things, I don't think that as a country we are ready for the shock. With the media and social media being the way it is, I don't see how any government survives the first six months to a year of such a policy. People will inevitably act stupidly straight away and it is an absolute certainty that newsfeeds would be filled every day with bad news stories related to such policy, and photographs of sad looking people who say their child died of a heroin OD that never would have happened had the evil government (of whichever colour - probably orange) hadn't legalised drugs. Every newspaper except the Independent would be feverishly working to bring down the government. Politicians know this would happen, so thats why it's so unlikely. The same could be said for speed limits on motorways. I could be persuaded that long term it would be a good thing to either raise of get rid of speed limits on motorways - but we all know that if that happened, in the first few days there would be fatal accidents all over the place as people abuse their new found freedoms and behave stupidly. As such, no government would survive it.

This all comes round to a simple question of - how does decriminalising possession reduce violent crime? The answer is - it doesn't. It won't do a thing other than to embolden gang kids who are actually dealing but will now be able to much more easily claim they are simply in possession. I don't really see any circumstances under which you won't see a proliferation of gang activity rather than a reduction.

I'd much rather see legalisation but that does seem very unrealistic at this time. The criminalisation of drugs means that crime pays and it pays well this leads to more and more turning to crime with violent gangs forming to protect profits. Decriminalisation can reduce risks involved and prices of these drugs in turn reducing incentives to truning to crime. Along with freeing up police time decriminalisation will mean the outcomes of stop and search will be less racist and communities may be more willing to accept it.
Reply 42
I'd much rather see legalisation but that does seem very unrealistic at this time. The criminalisation of drugs means that crime pays and it pays well this leads to more and more turning to crime with violent gangs forming to protect profits. Decriminalisation can reduce risks involved and prices of these drugs in turn reducing incentives to truning to crime. Along with freeing up police time decriminalisation will mean the outcomes of stop and search will be less racist and communities may be more willing to accept it.

How is stop and search racist?
Reply 43
How is stop and search racist?

It shouldn't be that a white person has more freedom to take drugs than a black person.
Reply 44

This is different from what you suggested before. This isn't decriminalisation of possession, but decriminalisation of drugs. These are massively different concepts. Possession means a little but that you have on you, but that manufacture and supply would still be illegal.
Reply 45
It shouldn't be that a white person has more freedom to take drugs than a black person.

The last five people I stopped and searched for drugs were all white. The difference is that nobody cares when white people are stopped.
Reply 46
The last five people I stopped and searched for drugs were all white. The difference is that nobody cares when white people are stopped.

Black people are no more likely to use drugs than white people but are far more likely to be caught in possesion.
Reply 47
Black people are no more likely to use drugs than white people but are far more likely to be caught in possesion.

That's because black people are far more likely to be involved in dealing drugs. Any gang nominals chart will show you that. Gangs are overwhelmingly BAME.

All these notions of stop and search being "racist" are based on absurdly simplistic ideas that purposefully ignore the realities of crime.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 48
That's because black people are far more likely to be involved in dealing drugs.

I'm not conviced that's true but either way it's still not right that black drug users are less free than white drug users and decriminalisation would stop that.

Please don’t start banging that race baiting drum. Stop and search is not racist. Black people are statistically more likely to commit crime therefore are stopped more. That is not a racist thing to say, it’s the truth.

Despite making up only 13% of London's total population, black Londoners account for 45% of London's knife murder victims, 61% of knife murder perpetrators and 53% of knife
crime perpetrators. I wonder why they’re stopped more.
(edited 7 months ago)
I'm not conviced that's true but either way it's still not right that black drug users are less free than white drug users and decriminalisation would stop that.

Of course it’s true. Have a quick look at drug related stats. Lazy whataboutery. That’s what this post is.
Reply 51
Original post by imlikeahermit
Please don’t start banging that race baiting drum. Stop and search is not racist. Black people are statistically more likely to commit crime therefore are stopped more. That is not a racist thing to say, it’s the truth.

Despite making up only 13% of London's total population, black Londoners account for 45% of London's knife murder victims, 61% of knife murder perpetrators and 53% of knife
crime perpetrators. I wonder why they’re stopped more.

Please don't trot out the race baiting mantra with me, that's not something i'm into. The fact is white people have far more freedom to use drugs, do you believe that to be a fair and right outcome? Its a very easy one to solve too, just ignore drugs when doing stop and search for weapons.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 52
Original post by imlikeahermit
Of course it’s true. Have a quick look at drug related stats. Lazy whataboutery. That’s what this post is.

Which stats? Can you link me to some?

Definitely not whataboutery, do you understand what the term means?
(edited 7 months ago)
I'm interested in hearing what these complex mechanisms are, because to me they're quite straightforward.

Well I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject matter, I can only comment on what I've witnessed and experienced as well the circumstances of those I've known and seen get drawn into gangs.

1) A lot of them came from those run-down council estates, where they've always been exposed to violence, beatings etc. so they become de-sensitised to them. If you're constantly hearing shouting, thumping, screaming etc., you learn to ignore it. It's not uncommon to go round someone's flat and they just pull out a machete or some other weapon on the table.

2) Many of these gang members grow up not knowing who their father is, or with very limited contact with them. The mother doesn't really take an interest in what they get up to or who they hang out with as long as they come back when they're supposed to. Obviously, a growing boy needs a male role model to look up to (Lewis Hamilton's father is a prime example of how powerful a good role model can be)... so in absence of the father (or appropriate guardian), they'll go to the next "Big-Man" who "runs tings" who's name is well known over the estate.

3) A ghetto education is, at best, basic... and even if you want to learn you've got the challenge of very large classes; disruptive individuals, and teachers who don't really care (it was bad enough in my school, and mine wasn't by any means the worst example out there). Those drawn into gangs aren't studious at all, so the dream of going to University and landing a professional job is almost as far fetched as their dreams of becoming a superstar rapper or premiership football player.

4) In contrast to the above, they see these gangsters on their estate driving around in nice Beemers, Mercs or whatever, and that's real to them (they can't relate to some suit working in the city; even if they are black). Just because they're not studious or academic, it doesn't mean they're not ambitious (or they'd be a "waste-man"). If they're willing to take the risks, they could have their own flash car in 6-12 months (as opposed to the 2-3 years in college, 3-5 years in Uni, and then another 1-2 years to actually get a job... so it's almost a decade from the P.O.V. of a 15-16 year old that's a life time). Given the current trend / mentality of everyone wanting things instantly now, doesn't it make sense they would want to take the fastest route to riches?

5) The appeal of being in a gang is that it also the sense of "belonging" it offers... gives you a sense of being part of something bigger as well as having some back-up should things start to get lively. Of course, the rival gangs have exactly the same mentality, which is where beef gets literally deadly as no one wants to back down (it's a sign of weakness). There's a motto in ghetto culture which is basically, "Get rich, or die trying" (was also the title of a 50 Cent album incidentally), Some of these guys don't fear death and think "If it's my time to die, so be it". One said if he was to die, the only person who would remember him would be his mum. I mean, if they're not afraid to lose their life, I don't see how prison is going to be a real deterrent.

6) Those who have been to prison often end up going back to the gang doing the same thing. After all, who is going to want to employ them with a string of custodial sentences to their CV? The only legal / legit jobs they may get are very low-level jobs, which as well as not making anywhere near the same amount of money, it's humiliating for them and also makes them a "sitting duck" for any rivals who may want revenge. I was once talking to one (ex?) gang member who said he doesn't want to live that lifestyle anymore, and feels his only option is to leave the country once he's got enough savings, as he doesn't want to be constantly looking over his shoulder.

7) A lot of people who do carry knives claim they're for self-defence purposes; others for the sense of power it brings them, even if they've no immediate plans to actually use the knife (I guess it's like those who buy a 200mph hypercar knowing they'll almost certainly never drive it anywhere near its top speed). Personally (and for the record), I've never carried a knife and I never will, as I've always believed a knife to be a cowards weapon (i.e. why can't you take me one-on-one in a standard fist fight?). But of course these days, fights aren't necessarily won by the strongest person or the best fighter; they're won by whoever's willing to go the furthest (i.e. who's willing to take a life by whatever means). Moreover, I've always believed that if you're capable of carrying a knife, then you're capable of using it in certain situations (regardless of what people claim)... and frankly I don't want someone's death on my conscience, and I certainly don't fancy doing a life-time stretch because I lost my cool over some BS beef.

Anyway to address your specific points:-

1. For the longest time, people around the world have always banded together in like-minded groups and committed crimes.

Is that surprising? People are made to feel like they don't belong to society and are "outsiders", simply because of who they are. For instance, when I'm in, say, a supermarket, I can often feel the security guys on me and literally watching my every move. Even if I had only gone in to browse / look around, I ultimately end up buying something just to prove I'm not a shoplifter (or whatever) and to prevent getting challenged on the way out (I always have to make sure I get a receipt as well). Also, if I'm standing near someone and they notice me, they'll suddenly make sure their bag is closed... never mind I consider myself a law abiding citizen, who goes to work, pays taxes etc. IT just seems society "has" to see me as guilty until proven innocent. The irony is my dad was very strict with me so even when everyone in my school went on shoplifting sprees, i was never tempted to go with them, as I was always too scared of what my dad would do if he ever found out lol.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you'll seek out those who will accept you for who / what you are. It took a lot for me to go against those things with my class peers, and were it not for my dad, I could easily have gone down that route, if only to fit in. And yes, there was a bit of that judgemental, "You don't nick, you don't smoke... you're a bit boring". I'm not in contact with anyone from my secondary school?

2. Young people are indoctrinated to think that they are responsible for nothing, nothing is their fault and that there are no consequences to their actions.

I agree with this... although, IMHO, this is an issue with young people in general; not just those taking things to these extremities we're talking about here.

3. They learn from social media to defy authority and behave in any manner that they like. If they are stopped by police, they cry out that they are being abused, racially profiled or that they cannot breathe. People rush to their aid and immediately side with them, even though they are carrying weapons or drugs.

Given the tempestuous relationship between the police and black people, it's to be expected. Look at the events that lead to the Brixton / Tottenham riots of the 1980's and the blundering of the Stephen Lawrence investigation, all have led to a great mistrust of police.

You mention stop and search... well I used to get stopped and searched by the police all the time when I was younger; in fact at the time, I don't think a month went by without being stopped and them going through all my things and getting judgemental stares from passers by. The attitudes of the officers varied substantially (e.g. some were like "sorry about this, I'm just doing my job", others you could engage in some humour /banter; others had an air of "We're in charge and can break you") However, the ONE THING in common was that I don't think I was ever stopped in an urban or ghetto area, the only times I've ever been stopped was if I was in a more affluent suburban nice, (dare I say "white") area. I'll never forget one of the officers saying, and I quote, "Well you clearly don't live around here, so what are you doing here?" Then there are the times when whilst being searched, another 2-3 police cars pull up and start hanging around, even though I'm co-operating fully with the officer(s) who stopped me.

That is exactly the sort of thing that makes others feel like they're not part of society. I didn't dress or act any differently to my white / Asian friends at the time, yet they were never stopped (or at least not to the same extent) and were very surprised when I told them how often I am. I also remember talking to the parents of a mixed race friend from Uni, who said that when they were dating in the 70's / 80's, they would often be stopped by the police, to "check she was OK", and occasionally asked her , "Do your parents know you're with a black man?". At one point they actually took her home and her dad told the police exactly what he thought of them, they never had any trouble after that.

4. Decades of weak social policy has led to almost no penalty for crime. Hence, it is completely rational to commit crime.

I disagree, I think people don't care about the consequences; if anything, it would make them more determined not to get caught. Look at the USA, they've got very harsh penalties for these kind of things, but it doesn't stop people being murdered over BS every day, does it?

The answers are not in youth clubs, social justice or education. Those are long-term projects - like trying to put out a fire with a smoke alarm. There is no point in thinking about blue sky preventative measures if you're already in an emergency. Equally, there are too many people convinced that crime can be treated like public health (because we've just seen how effective government is at public health). What is required is to allow policing to occur again, the CPS to be funded and stop being timid, and for courts and especially magistrates to stop giving out absurdly low penalties upon conviction.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I knew what the answer was, but personally, I'd prefer to use the carrot rather than the stick. In the USA, it's been proven that if the youth have something else to focus on, then that can take them away from the gang life style. For example, in the USA (Namely New York and LA) during the early / mid 80's, break-dancing offered an alternative focus for youths than gangs. As a break-dancer myself, I know how much practice and determination it takes to be good... so with these people, you've not got the time / energy to go out and do the bad things, even if you wanted to because you've been practicing how to flare or windmill all day. I would suggest you watch a documentary called "The Freshest Kids" where they interview a lot of the break-dancers form that era two crews (Rocksteady and the NYC breakers), and they talk about how breakdancing saved them from going down the bad gang route. I mean, the breakers were still in gangs... just not the type who go round killing people... They settled their beef with a dance-off (something everyone can enjoy lol).

I'm not suggesting we try and replicate that exactly (N.B. there are some breakdancing moves, some people may never be able to achieve, regardless of how determined they are or how hard they try, many of them are double-jointed)... but they could do something similar. For example, many of these types still like urban music, so maybe some classes of DJing or MCing or music production where they learn from those "Past Masters". For instance, I used to know DJ Luck & MC Neat as well as various members of So Solid crew, and if the right people approached them, I think its the sort of project they would definitely support. You could make it a competition where every month the best person or the one who has improved the most gets to play at a real party / rave a long the headline acts. As a incentive to stay on the straight and narrow, anyone who is in trouble with the police cannot attend the project while they are under investigation, and anyone caught carrying a knife is kicked off permanently.

Alternatively, maybe something like a banger car racing project, where by a group of people get an old car (e.g. an insurance write-off, or an MOT failure), and they're encouraged to maintain it themselves and they can race on a test track. As well as getting them to "joy-ride" in a controlled environment, it also means they're learning about car mechanics and potentially future legitimate job opportunities.

Admittedly, none of the above would completely stop gangs from forming... but what it does do is give some of those on the estate an alternative to joining a gang. Some of these guys feel they've got no other option.

Still I would ask you another question, how would you propose about improving relationships between the police and BAME communities?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Still I would ask you another question, how would you propose about improving relationships between the police and BAME communities?

The quick answer, just to this bit is - you don't.

Firstly, I don't believe in grouping all people together like that as a "community". Just because someone is black, I don't believe that their code of beliefs or behaviours can be predicted or appealed to in such a way. There are people who are generally supportive of police, and there are people that are anti-police. The people that are anti-police, regardless of their intersectional characteristics, cannot be appealed to. There is nothing that police can do to improve the relationship, because the other side does not want to have a relationship under any circumstances. I'll give you a very simple example - Sadiq Khan. The Mayor of London is vehemently anti-police to the extent that more or less his entire non-political career was spent suing the Metropolitan Police, and his entire political career has been spent attacking and trying to damage or destroy the Metropolitan Police. Now, Sadiq Khan is not victimised by the Met, he isn't discriminated against by them, in fact he takes absurd liberties with the Met - he demands his own personal protection team (which no other Mayor has had and there has never been any reason to), he has gotten rid of a Chief Constable and continually suggests breaking the police force up. A person in a position of such extreme power - has no reason to fear the police - and yet is so deeply hating and distrustful - there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change their mind. Translate that to the hypothetical and somewhat ridiculous trope of the aspiring architect/footballer boy from the inner city council estate. They learn from quite a young age, especially on social media, how to challenge the police and exactly how far they can go and what they can say to "know their rights" which is nothing to do with their individual liberties, but more to do with being seen (as you say) as a "big man". Sometimes for no reason at all, a boy on the streets will say "Am I detained?" even though there was no suggestion that they would be - simply because they want to challenge authority. In such a situation, there is nothing that can be done. You cannot convince or educate a 12 year old that they can have a positive relationship with police - simply because it is not in their interest. They want to challenge the police, they want to try and get away with as much as they can - on what planet is trying to change that going to work?

As to the adults - I take you to the recent incident in Wales. Two idiots ran from police and later on killed themselves by crashing a high powered electric bike. Widespread disorder followed, mostly undertaken by adults. Was this because they were angry at police? Maybe, maybe not- but this doesn't happen when a nurse murders 8 babies, or a hospital negligently kills someone's grandmother - because people are not anti-NHS or anti-doctor in the same way. At the funeral of these boys, the parents played violent gangster hip hop about killing people and selling drugs. You cannot tell me that there is a narrative or education programme or initiative in the world that will improve relations between those people and police.

The best that police can do is try to keep the neutrals or pro-police people onside, and the only way to do that is by being effective at the job of preventing crime and arresting criminals. Unfortunately, in recent years police are seen as being less and less effective at that for a lot of reasons, and for purely political motivations, the focus has shifted to trying to appeal to tiny minority groups, and in so doing, alienated the majority.

In a sense- nobody is happy with policing, not even the police. Whose fault is it? Ultimately, government, media and social media - and the police for listening to them.

Firstly, I don't believe in grouping all people together like that as a "community". Just because someone is black, I don't believe that their code of beliefs or behaviours can be predicted or appealed to in such a way. There are people who are generally supportive of police, and there are people that are anti-police. The people that are anti-police, regardless of their intersectional characteristics, cannot be appealed to. There is nothing that police can do to improve the relationship, because the other side does not want to have a relationship under any circumstances. I'll give you a very simple example - Sadiq Khan. The Mayor of London is vehemently anti-police to the extent that more or less his entire non-political career was spent suing the Metropolitan Police, and his entire political career has been spent attacking and trying to damage or destroy the Metropolitan Police. Now, Sadiq Khan is not victimised by the Met, he isn't discriminated against by them, in fact he takes absurd liberties with the Met - he demands his own personal protection team (which no other Mayor has had and there has never been any reason to), he has gotten rid of a Chief Constable and continually suggests breaking the police force up. A person in a position of such extreme power - has no reason to fear the police - and yet is so deeply hating and distrustful - there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change their mind. Translate that to the hypothetical and somewhat ridiculous trope of the aspiring architect/footballer boy from the inner city council estate. They learn from quite a young age, especially on social media, how to challenge the police and exactly how far they can go and what they can say to "know their rights" which is nothing to do with their individual liberties, but more to do with being seen (as you say) as a "big man". Sometimes for no reason at all, a boy on the streets will say "Am I detained?" even though there was no suggestion that they would be - simply because they want to challenge authority. In such a situation, there is nothing that can be done. You cannot convince or educate a 12 year old that they can have a positive relationship with police - simply because it is not in their interest. They want to challenge the police, they want to try and get away with as much as they can - on what planet is trying to change that going to work?

As to the adults - I take you to the recent incident in Wales. Two idiots ran from police and later on killed themselves by crashing a high powered electric bike. Widespread disorder followed, mostly undertaken by adults. Was this because they were angry at police? Maybe, maybe not- but this doesn't happen when a nurse murders 8 babies, or a hospital negligently kills someone's grandmother - because people are not anti-NHS or anti-doctor in the same way. At the funeral of these boys, the parents played violent gangster hip hop about killing people and selling drugs. You cannot tell me that there is a narrative or education programme or initiative in the world that will improve relations between those people and police.

The best that police can do is try to keep the neutrals or pro-police people onside, and the only way to do that is by being effective at the job of preventing crime and arresting criminals. Unfortunately, in recent years police are seen as being less and less effective at that for a lot of reasons, and for purely political motivations, the focus has shifted to trying to appeal to tiny minority groups, and in so doing, alienated the majority.

In a sense- nobody is happy with policing, not even the police. Whose fault is it? Ultimately, government, media and social media - and the police for listening to them.

PRSOM

Cheers for writing this.

Although it's not exactly inspiring, it was interesting to get a perspective of some of the challenges / limitations you face. Just a shame there's no viable or realistic solution to this mess /madness. With regards to what you say about those who are anti police, I don't get why they're so anti anyone who is emergency services... I mean, I've heard instances of firemen and ambulance workers being ambushed, attacked etc... and their mission is purely to help people; regardless of whether they're pro / anti police.

However, I guess that's a topic that would warrant its own thread.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending