The Student Room Group

Iraq fire: At least 100 killed in blaze at wedding party in Qaraqosh

At least 100 people have died and 150 others are injured after a fire broke out during a wedding in Iraq's biggest Christian town.

Hundreds were celebrating in a banqueting hall in Qaraqosh in Nineveh province when it happened.

It is not known what started the fire but some reports suggest fireworks set it off.

Flammable panels fuelled the flames, causing parts of the ceiling to catch fire and fall, fire officials said.

"The fire led to the collapse of parts of the hall as a result of the use of highly flammable, low-cost building materials that collapse within minutes when fire breaks out," Iraq's civil defence directorate said, quoted by state news agency INA.

It was not immediately clear if the bride and the groom were among the victims.

Footage posted online showed the couple on the dance floor before flaming chunks begin falling onto the dance floor.

Read more here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66932327

I have been watching this story today. The venue had previously been reported to the courts regarding poor fire safety. There are videos showing fireworks touching the ceiling, next to flammable decorations in the middle of the ceiling, which alight in seconds.
The newsreader also shared that the bride and groom had sadly passed, though reports elsewhere say it's unknown whether they passed/that they're in a critical condition. 115 people have been confirmed as deceased. One survivor was shown devastated as it's believed he lost his parents, wife and 2 children in the fire. :frown:
Reply 1
It is a bit of a British hobby to rant about our health and safety regulations. This is precisely why we have those regulations. An entirely avoidable tragedy.
Awful and pointless loss of life :/ I've seen a few videos of clubs and venues when the ceiling has caught and no one notices it's a real fire till the very last, looks horrifying - I think it's how fast the initial optimism of 'oh wow I guess Ill jog out the door' must give way very quickly to 'wait.. I can't get out of here!' :eek:
Original post by Gazpacho.
It is a bit of a British hobby to rant about our health and safety regulations. This is precisely why we have those regulations. An entirely avoidable tragedy.

what
Original post by ralphytpoohd
what

I assume they are referring to the building being made with illegal materials and not having the proper codes/precaution.

Although it's not like we don't have those same exact issues in the UK such as the Grenfell Tower disaster, or more recently all this dodgy concrete in schools etc.
Original post by Gazpacho.

I agree. I remember people complaining some years ago about 'health and safety gone mad', but when you visit other countries, you notice all the areas that aren't regulated as well and you soon appreciate the health and safety regulations we have here in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending