The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University foundation year?

So I wanted to do a foundation year for pharmacy or optometry at Aston university because I didn't do A-level chemistry and I'm unsure if I'll get the grade for the optometry course. I'm doing A-level Biology, A-level Physics, and A-level sociology. I kept checking the aston university website this year (when I was in year 12) and they had foundation courses for optometry and pharmacy but now all of a sudden this month they're gone. Does anyone know if they will come back or if they've completely got rid of them?
Original post by amii05
So I wanted to do a foundation year for pharmacy or optometry at Aston university because I didn't do A-level chemistry and I'm unsure if I'll get the grade for the optometry course. I'm doing A-level Biology, A-level Physics, and A-level sociology.you could try I kept checking the aston university website this year (when I was in year 12) and they had foundation courses for optometry and pharmacy but now all of a sudden this month they're gone. Does anyone know if they will come back or if they've completely got rid of them?

you could try emailing the uni
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
hiya its still on the website im literally on the same boat as you looking for foundation for both pharmacy and optometry and i have found it
Reply 3
Original post by choutr
hiya its still on the website im literally on the same boat as you looking for foundation for both pharmacy and optometry and i have found it

Hi, I don't think it's actually there
Reply 4
Original post by choutr

I think they've removed it because I checked and it still doesn't seem to be there
Reply 5
Original post by amii05
I think they've removed it because I checked and it still doesn't seem to be there

if u go on https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/optometry-moptom and then go down to other it says externalfoundation programmes from another univeristy and so idk why they said another uni because i think their on about their own uni

It says - We consider external foundation programmes for entry into our year 1 programmes on a case-by-case basis. We will always require applicants to have met the following criteria prior to application:

5 GCSE’s at grade C/4 or above including Maths (at grade B) and English.

ABB in any subjects OR

BBB where two subjects must be from Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics.

Any conditional offers made will be based on meeting a specific grade in your foundation programme. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications.
Reply 6
Original post by choutr
if u go on https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/optometry-moptom and then go down to other it says externalfoundation programmes from another univeristy and so idk why they said another uni because i think their on about their own uni

It says - We consider external foundation programmes for entry into our year 1 programmes on a case-by-case basis. We will always require applicants to have met the following criteria prior to application:

ABB in any subjects OR

Any conditional offers made will be based on meeting a specific grade in your foundation programme. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications.

I emailed them a few days ago and they said that they've stopped doing the foundation year this year
Reply 7
Original post by choutr

ABB in any subjects OR

By external foundation programmes they mean foundation programmes from other universities, they themselves don't offer any but they'll accept external ones as long as they reach the requirements
Did anyone apply last year for a foundation year so they could transfer to Aston after it’s completed? If so which university? Thanks in advance!
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #1
Did anyone apply last year for a foundation year so they could transfer to Aston after it’s completed? If so which university? Thanks in advance!

are u looking to go to another uni then transfer to aston?
Original post by choutr
are u looking to go to another uni then transfer to aston?

Yes
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes

which unis did u apply for for optometryy
im lost on what to do mainly because of my predicted grades
uhh well I’m at uni rn for an unrelated course planning to sit alevels next year… advice I’d give is ignore predicted grades you get an offer this year, great!! If not reapply next year! But focus hard in your alevels don’t let your predicted ruin your overall performance! I’ve heard of people getting in even missing their offers so don’t stress..

Quick Reply

Latest