The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Primary Education

Hello,

I'm currently studying Primary Education with QTS at University. I really love planning things for me and my little brother to do. I love teaching my brother, and I love young children. I really think that teaching would be a good career for me.

I have anxiety, which has basically controlled my life forever. I took a gap year last year before applying to do teaching because I really wanted to make sure that it's what I wanted to do. I started my first year of University a few weeks ago and am studying Primary Education with QTS.

I absolutely love the content that we are learning and the modules that are being taught. I enjoy going to university each day, having routine and a schedule. I love having instructions to follow and deadlines to meet.

In a few weeks, my first teaching placement will start. I am absolutely dreading it.

Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to teach, but I am so nervous about teaching in a class that I constantly feel physically sick at the thought of it. Obviously this would not be ideal in a class full of 30 children who are looking up to me.

I am tempted to drop out, which is making me really sad because it has always been my dream to teach, but I don't know if I can cope with it. I just know that I am going to be a nervous wreck on the placements.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Can anyone recommend anything, or give me any advice?

I feel really alone right now, and im really just upset. I thought I had my next few years planned, and had finally found something that I enjoyed, but I really don't think I will enjoy the placement because of my anxiety.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by EllaIsUnusual
Hello,

I'm currently studying Primary Education with QTS at University. I really love planning things for me and my little brother to do. I love teaching my brother, and I love young children. I really think that teaching would be a good career for me.

I have anxiety, which has basically controlled my life forever. I took a gap year last year before applying to do teaching because I really wanted to make sure that it's what I wanted to do. I started my first year of University a few weeks ago and am studying Primary Education with QTS.

I absolutely love the content that we are learning and the modules that are being taught. I enjoy going to university each day, having routine and a schedule. I love having instructions to follow and deadlines to meet.

In a few weeks, my first teaching placement will start. I am absolutely dreading it.

Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to teach, but I am so nervous about teaching in a class that I constantly feel physically sick at the thought of it. Obviously this would not be ideal in a class full of 30 children who are looking up to me.

I am tempted to drop out, which is making me really sad because it has always been my dream to teach, but I don't know if I can cope with it. I just know that I am going to be a nervous wreck on the placements.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Can anyone recommend anything, or give me any advice?

I feel really alone right now, and im really just upset. I thought I had my next few years planned, and had finally found something that I enjoyed, but I really don't think I will enjoy the placement because of my anxiety.

Thanks for your help.

Find out more about the expectations for your first placement. You won't be teaching full-time and you won't be expected to be 'perfect'.

Please don't give up before you try :smile:
Reply 2
I’m the exact same which made me really struggle for my first two placements because I would have panic attacks when I’m teaching. I’m really scared for final year because I don’t feel like I’m going to pass because of this anxiety 😭
Reply 3
Original post by tamzya
I’m the exact same which made me really struggle for my first two placements because I would have panic attacks when I’m teaching. I’m really scared for final year because I don’t feel like I’m going to pass because of this anxiety 😭
Hi, are you studying primary education with QTS? I've applied for this course starting in September. How are you finding it? I know all universities assess and examine differently, but how are you examined at your university?
Original post by tamzya
You can do it! I believe in you. Just remember how far you have come. You should be so proud of yourself for making it as far as you have.
Original post by idklol1
Hi, are you studying primary education with QTS? I've applied for this course starting in September. How are you finding it? I know all universities assess and examine differently, but how are you examined at your university?
Hello! I know you've not replied to me specifically, but I am doing Primary Education with QTS. My university assesses through essays. They are around 3000 words each. I'll have submitted 5 essays by the end of this first year. I will also do a presentation of my portfolio which is just where I will talk about everything that I have seen in my placement and how it links to different policies and research, and show how I have developed throughout the year. Obviously each university is different, so it might be worth looking on your university's website. Which university have you applied to? Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply 6
Original post by EllaIsUnusual
Hello! I know you've not replied to me specifically, but I am doing Primary Education with QTS. My university assesses through essays. They are around 3000 words each. I'll have submitted 5 essays by the end of this first year. I will also do a presentation of my portfolio which is just where I will talk about everything that I have seen in my placement and how it links to different policies and research, and show how I have developed throughout the year. Obviously each university is different, so it might be worth looking on your university's website. Which university have you applied to? Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much for your help! Regarding your placements, how have they been? What age groups have you worked with, and which age group would you prefer to work with, and why? Are your placements scheduled once a week or in blocks? Would you recommend this course?
I've applied for Speech and Language Therapy at the University of Greenwich, which will be my first choice if I receive an offer (Ive completed the interview), followed by Primary Education at the University of East London. I have offers from the University of East London, Greenwich, and Cumbria London campus (all for Primary Education). What university do you attend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending