The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Education degree with no QTS with Open Uni

If you study an education degree with the open university without a QTS and want to be a primary teacher, can you? Can you do a QTS after?
Reply 1
Also Im aware that primary teaching requires good GCSE grades for english, maths and science. i have a four in english and maths. I am going to take IGCSE double science is that allowed?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
You can. "PGCE with QTS" courses generally require either any degree for Primary, or a subject-relevant degree for Secondary. An OU degree is fine for this, and actually that route seems to be quite popular.

I assume you've ruled out doing an Education undergrad that does include QTS at a brick uni. That'd be the fastest option, but obviously not everyone's circumstances allow it.

You might want to consider doing your OU degree in something other than Education, so you have a backup plan if it turns out teaching isn't for you?

I can't answer your GCSE question, sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
You can. "PGCE with QTS" courses generally require either any degree for Primary, or a subject-relevant degree for Secondary. An OU degree is fine for this, and actually that route seems to be quite popular.

I assume you've ruled out doing an Education undergrad that does include QTS at a brick uni. That'd be the fastest option, but obviously not everyone's circumstances allow it.

You might want to consider doing your OU degree in something other than Education, so you have a backup plan if it turns out teaching isn't for you?

I can't answer your GCSE question, sorry.

well, i really like psychology and sociology and was considering doing secondary teaching but i wouldn’t enjoy teaching teenagers as much as younger kids. i was going to study psychology and do a PGCE in psychology teacher training but primary aged kids are better. i am still doing a-levels (self teaching) and work part-time but i would like to find full-time work for two years and study part-time and for three years to study full-time and work part-time as an online tutor for a-levels on MyTutor and of course a different side job.i have 2 years to decide and will get some experience in schools if i can. i like working and studying in my own environment/wherever i want so OU is a good choice but things may change.
hopefully i stick to wanting to be a teacher 🤣
Reply 4
I also have researched, uni of Herts is a 30 min drive from me and they offer this: https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-masters/primary-education-upper3
They accept IGCSEs too 😊. How competitive is it to get in? How do I get work experience? I was thinking maybe my brothers primary school im not sure though
Reply 5
I work at mcdonald’s at the moment, as im waiting to get my drivers license. What jobs would be good for work experience? I’ve looked at teaching assistant roles but all prefer degrees or experience. I would like to have a job related to it. I am hoping to work with younger children, so would working in a nursery be beneficial ? Perhaps I could work in a nursery for 3-4 years (a-levels and two years of my degree) and then find a job for teaching assistant as the hours are better of course and is more relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest